Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Sweet frame and my only real concern (not having any HT experience) is the aluminum ride vs a steel HT. #'s look really good, especially the New England friendly near 13" BB height after converting to 650B wheels. I was really interested in the new Kona but the BB height is something I'm not willing to deal with in the endless rocks we have here. Is the aluminum ride that much more harsh than steel for those in the know?
    Having been on both materials riding 15-16" hardtail frames, I'd say with proper sized tires/tubeless, and same seatpost and bar setup the ride is marginally negligible. In otherwords, not much difference. I guess it's possible to get a smoother ride out of steel with larger frames where the "give" would be more apparent due to the increased tube lengths. But I'm just throwing that theory out to cover my own experience.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Sweet frame and my only real concern (not having any HT experience) is the aluminum ride vs a steel HT... Is the aluminum ride that much more harsh than steel for those in the know?
    I've had steel frames with skinny tubes & longer stays that felt smoother, less jarring. I currently have two hardtails that feel fairly stiff in the back end; One is steel, one is aluminum.
    I agree with Jmac: Material alone will not determine harshness of ride all that much, compared to other things like frame design, and more importantly what tires and pressure you run. Both of my hardtails were much more comfortable with a Kenda 2.2 rear tire than with other tires. Why? Because I've been able to run them tubeless with ~23psi. They're a bit heavier than race-weight tires, but they perform/tolerate under-inflated use better than other tires I've tried so far. In my limited experience, this detail has been the biggest determinant of how harsh a bike will feel (outside of fork tuning).
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Uncle
    VY, thanks for posting again. Question: Which Fox fork is that one - travel, A-C, 650b specific or 26"?
    Also, is that shot next to the tunnel on 101?
    Cheers.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

NedwannaB
    They have a 101 across the border in Canada~?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    VY, thanks for posting again. Question: Which Fox fork is that one - travel, A-C, 650b specific or 26"?
    Also, is that shot next to the tunnel on 101?
    Cheers.
    The fork is the 26" F32 RLC fit from a 2012 SPX kit. Air out has a few mms clearance. Not sure about A-C but it is set @ 120mm.

And the pic is the tunnel visible from the Don Valley Pkwy just south of Lawrence Ave. in Toronto. (The DVP turns into Hwy 404 a few kms north of there, maybe that's what you are thinking of?) The rainbow paint job is actually looking pretty fresh right now. They are paving some paths through there and cleaning the area up. I remember first finding my way there years back and thinking "this place is littered with a lot more broken glass and graffiti than I imagined it would be".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2