mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Fox issues a warning

Fox Racing Shox issues DIY warning
    Fox Racing Shox, based in Watsonville, California, has issued a notice regarding DIY modifications to its suspension forks:

"It has come to the attention of Fox Racing Shox that certain individuals and/or entities are modifying Fox forks to accommodate mountain bike wheel sizes other than those having a 26-inch nominal diameter. One such modification includes removing material from the lower leg cross bridge in order to fit a 29-inch tyre in the fork. Such modification will ultimately separate the lower fork legs at the cross bridge (i.e. the weakened cross bridge will fracture) and may cause bicycle instability and crash that results in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Do not modify or misapply Fox forks

NEVER REMOVE MATERIAL from any portion of a Fox fork. USE ONLY 26-INCH WHEELS with Fox 32*, 36 and 40 bicycle suspension forks. Those Fox forks are designed and tested for use ONLY with 26-inch mountain bike wheels/tyres. Use of Fox forks with any wheel other than 26 inches and/or alteration or modification of any Fox fork will subject the Fox fork to loads and forces it has not been designed or certified to meet and will void all warranties. The Fox 32*, 36 and 40 models meet CEN and ASTM testing standards ONLY when used with 26-inch wheels/tyres and are not recommended or approved by Fox Factory, Inc. for use with wheels larger or smaller than 26 inches, either as original equipment or aftermarket.

Do not ride modified or misapplied Fox forks

Proper forks are critical to proper bicycle handling and stability. Improper function or failure of a bicycle fork while riding can cause a bicycle to become uncontrollable and result in a crash. Use of Fox 32*, 36 or 40 forks with wheels larger or smaller than 26 inches, or any other modification, may cause crashes that result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. Never ride a bicycle that is, or appears to be, fitted with a Fox 32*, 36 or 40 fork that has been modified and/or fitted with any wheel larger or smaller in nominal diameter than 26 inches.

Use the right fork for the job

For those of you who want to ride on 29-inch front wheels with suspension, Fox offers the 32 F29 fork designed specifically for 29-inch wheels. The F29 is available in 80mm, 100mm or 120mm travel configurations and is ideal for tall wheel applications. The F29 is the only Fox fork available for use with 29 inch wheels and is clearly labeled "F29" on the right leg. The F29 should be used only with 29 inch wheels. As with all Fox forks, do not modify or misapply, or ride on improperly applied or modified Fox F29 forks.

Contact Fox

Do not modify any portion of a Fox fork and do not purchase or use any fork that appears to have been modified. Any Fox 32*, 36 or 40 model fork that appears to accommodate a tyre larger than 26 inches in nominal diameter, such as 650B or 29 inch, should be avoided. If any doubt exists as to the originality or proper application of a Fox fork, please contact a Fox representative at www.foxracingshox.com."

I just thought you should know.

mtbr member

where have you been mofo?

this warning is old news, where have you been? the troll killer hopes you're not trolling...

konbanwa,

tk
    Keeping the 650B forum hater free ever since 2008!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I'm out!

That does it. Who wants to buy my awesome 650b front wheel and Neo-Moto tire that I totally love? NOT!!

There is plenty of clearance on my 2005 TALAS 36. I am satisfied with the inherent risk of less rolling resistance and still excellent cornering with no chance of the fork being damaged.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's CYA talk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yea, I'm trolling. I Just read it on CyclingNews.com. So appearently it's still news.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    OK Fox, how about getting your head out of your a$$ and making a 650B fork!

Oops! Sorry, did I say that out loud!

Go X-Fusion and White Brothers

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    omg, maybe I should not have removed the arch !

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Opps my Bad!!! Mine works like butta baby

We I have been on my Fox 36Talas 29er style for almost a year its on my spider 29er and it is the best fork I ever had from 4ft drops to dropping the travel down for extended long climbs. The tire I have on the fork is the largest vloulme tire out for 29er's 2.4's

Quote Originally Posted by mofoki
    Fox Racing Shox issues
    DIY warning
    Fox Racing Shox, based in Watsonville, California, has issued a notice regarding DIY modifications to its suspension forks:

"It has come to the attention of Fox Racing Shox that certain individuals and/or entities are modifying Fox forks to accommodate mountain bike wheel sizes other than those having a 26-inch nominal diameter. One such modification includes removing material from the lower leg cross bridge in order to fit a 29-inch tyre in the fork. Such modification will ultimately separate the lower fork legs at the cross bridge (i.e. the weakened cross bridge will fracture) and may cause bicycle instability and crash that results in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH.

Do not modify or misapply Fox forks

NEVER REMOVE MATERIAL from any portion of a Fox fork. USE ONLY 26-INCH WHEELS with Fox 32*, 36 and 40 bicycle suspension forks. Those Fox forks are designed and tested for use ONLY with 26-inch mountain bike wheels/tyres. Use of Fox forks with any wheel other than 26 inches and/or alteration or modification of any Fox fork will subject the Fox fork to loads and forces it has not been designed or certified to meet and will void all warranties. The Fox 32*, 36 and 40 models meet CEN and ASTM testing standards ONLY when used with 26-inch wheels/tyres and are not recommended or approved by Fox Factory, Inc. for use with wheels larger or smaller than 26 inches, either as original equipment or aftermarket.

Do not ride modified or misapplied Fox forks

Proper forks are critical to proper bicycle handling and stability. Improper function or failure of a bicycle fork while riding can cause a bicycle to become uncontrollable and result in a crash. Use of Fox 32*, 36 or 40 forks with wheels larger or smaller than 26 inches, or any other modification, may cause crashes that result in SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH. Never ride a bicycle that is, or appears to be, fitted with a Fox 32*, 36 or 40 fork that has been modified and/or fitted with any wheel larger or smaller in nominal diameter than 26 inches.

Use the right fork for the job

For those of you who want to ride on 29-inch front wheels with suspension, Fox offers the 32 F29 fork designed specifically for 29-inch wheels. The F29 is available in 80mm, 100mm or 120mm travel configurations and is ideal for tall wheel applications. The F29 is the only Fox fork available for use with 29 inch wheels and is clearly labeled "F29" on the right leg. The F29 should be used only with 29 inch wheels. As with all Fox forks, do not modify or misapply, or ride on improperly applied or modified Fox F29 forks.

Contact Fox

Do not modify any portion of a Fox fork and do not purchase or use any fork that appears to have been modified. Any Fox 32*, 36 or 40 model fork that appears to accommodate a tyre larger than 26 inches in nominal diameter, such as 650B or 29 inch, should be avoided. If any doubt exists as to the originality or proper application of a Fox fork, please contact a Fox representative at www.foxracingshox.com."

I just thought you should know.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

meh... whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    We I have been on my Fox 36Talas 29er style for almost a year its on my spider 29er and it is the best fork I ever had from 4ft drops to dropping the travel down for extended long climbs. The tire I have on the fork is the largest vloulme tire out for 29er's 2.4's
    how's that .5mm tyre/bridge clearance work for ya in the mud?
    "I never TRY anything... I just do it." ~ Varla

ride more
    Mar 2007
    ooooooooooooooooooooooo, I'm a skeered. Ive been running a neo/fox combo since June. My next fork will be an x-fusion tho..... jus sayin.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Be afraid...be very afraid.

My Van 36 and my Nixon 160 have been running a Neo for about a year now...and I still have all my teeth.

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY
    We I have been on my Fox 36Talas 29er style for almost a year its on my spider 29er and it is the best fork I ever had from 4ft drops to dropping the travel down for extended long climbs. The tire I have on the fork is the largest volume tire out for 29er's 2.4's
    That's the most AM 29'er I've seen. No mud clearance needed there in SoCal. In my experience riding a couple rare days of mud there in two different areas, when it's really muddy it cakes up the tires so bad in some sections any bike becomes unridable. I'd be more worried about the light frame breaking from the stiff fork than the fork crown breaking. Hey mountain biking is risky! Way to push the limits B-RAY!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

integrated carbon bridge

Old news. Talked with the FOX guys about this, two years ago. *Unofficial* recommendation was to use a 40. Almost modified a 36 with a carbon fiber blended in to the shaved magnesium bridge with the help of an X Calfee tech. Manitou had an integrated carbon bridge years ago, got the fork to prove it! Sweet option. Keep in mind 36 Van and Talas have different A-C lengths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... mud and snow

Quote Originally Posted by monogod
    how's that .5mm tyre/bridge clearance work for ya in the mud?
    Well here was a ride from last Sunday I live in Big Bear Ca. There was mud and snow I really love the fork I wish I could 97 a Intense 6.6 or a Tracer.
    B-Ray Da Beast

N8!
    mtbr member
    Alex Morgan has a cut down Fox fork for a while now..

http://bcdracing.com/psycho-billy-cadillac/inedible.htm

Look at post #29 for pics:
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=179308

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... YepYep

Quote Originally Posted by N8!

He did my fork for me, he is a cool dude a class act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    B-Ray Da Beast

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    and i've been using marzocchi forks with 185 brakes for ages.

lock me up!!!11one

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by N8!

That cat is looking at that thinking 'are you out of your mind?'...

I ride a fox w/ a 650b, but cutting the brace? wow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

... and if we just ... Cake and Eating it too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie
    That cat is looking at that thinking 'are you out of your mind?'...

I ride a fox w/ a 650b, but cutting the brace? wow.
    Haha man even with some of the arch shaved out its still larger than most arches on most forks oh, did I mention that I do 4-5 ft drops for over a year on this bad boy. The fox 40 with the cat is BCD's and is a pro down hiller, so I am not worried at all
    B-Ray Da Beast