mtbr member

Fox 2013 CTD Evo Recall.. or not!

So here is the info for the recallÖ.

Model Year 2013 Evolution Series Voluntary Recall | FOX

Fox Announces Voluntary Recall of Certain 2013 Evolution Series Forks - Pinkbike

Sadly the morons at FOX have managed to F things up yet againÖ not all the EVO CTDs are recalled. Just when I thought finally they have come to their senses and are going to own up to putting out absolute crap onto the market and recall all 2013 EVO. So I checked my fork Ö Nope I am still stuck with my FOX EVO - absolute sorry excuse for a fork.

So let me get this straight most of the 2013 CTD forks got a damper upgrade (for some $ surprise surprise) while the Evolution models got shafted. Now there is a recall on just some of the Evolutions. What a joke! I guess the fact that just about everyone in the industry knows the 2013 Fox forks are junk is not enough for these profit at all costs whores to do the right thing.

Just want to extend a very large F U and thanks for nothing to FOX. I am going to burn all my FUX shirts, I will now only refer to this company as FUX.

ROCK SHOX 4 LIFE!

Trail Ninja
    When you bother trying to stir up drama from grudges and misunderstandings, that's when you know that you don't have anything important to spend your time on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    When you bother trying to stir up drama from grudges and misunderstandings, that's when you know that you don't have anything important to spend your time on.
    Which misunderstandings are you refering to?

As for not having anything important to do Ö well lets see. I am on here providing feedback on a crappy product I own and a company who wont own up to putting out said crappy product. Basically providing feedback that will benefit other consumers. You on the other hand have nothing of substance to add and are on here flaming me for speaking my mind about a product I bought, nice! You might want to reassess who here has nothing important to do with their time.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    "HAZARD: The fork damper cylinder / piston assembly in some of these units may separate and allow the fork to over-extend under certain circumstances, possibly causing the front wheel to detach from the bicycle while in use, creating a fall hazard."

This goes far beyond the crappy 2013 tune issues. Someone please explain to me why people love Fox so much?
    Santa Cruz Bronson - Specialized Crave Rigid

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What were the non-Evo forks recalled for?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I guess knocky Rock Shox Pikes for the win.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    I guess knocky Rock Shox Pikes for the win.
    Yup, already got one and its sweeeet!

mtbr member

I worked with my LBS on a recalled Fox Float CTD on my 2013 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29. I paid $100 for the upgraded FIT cartridge. Worth every penny. It was considerably lighter and the performance was very noticeable.

Having said that, I realized that my fork was never right from the start. I was basically riding on the spring for a year with no suspension. That kinda pisses me off. But, it's only money and I'm happy with the upgrade. I recommend it for anyone who is considering the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    Which misunderstandings are you refering to?

As for not having anything important to do Ö well lets see. I am on here providing feedback on a crappy product I own and a company who wont own up to putting out said crappy product. Basically providing feedback that will benefit other consumers. You on the other hand have nothing of substance to add and are on here flaming me for speaking my mind about a product I bought, nice! You might want to reassess who here has nothing important to do with their time.
    Translation, I have a bottom of the line product that I want to perform as well as a top of the line product.

Heres a little advice, if you want to be taken seriously, do it like an adult not a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.

The recall has nothing to do with the tune as mentioned above, so if yours isn't affected why would you expect a new fork?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Fox, like many other bike related company's has used it's perceived "high Quality" image
    to leverage there suspension products price.
    Until the general MTB riding public changes that opinion they will continue to charge what they do for the product they sell.
    The time when they change price (doubtful) or product quality (hopeful) is coming soon if they want to keep there position in the market.
    Just my opinion. What to you all think?
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by twotone View Post
    translation, i have a bottom of the line product that i want to perform as well as a top of the line product.

Heres a little advice, if you want to be taken seriously, do it like an adult not a 5 year old throwing a tantrum.

The recall has nothing to do with the tune as mentioned above, so if yours isn't affected why would you expect a new fork?
    owned.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Translation, I have a bottom of the line product that I want to perform as well as a top of the line product.

How is the quote you are referring to a tantrum? My initial post Ö perhaps. However when reasoned debate has fallen on deaf ears a tantrum as you put it is the next best thing.

Lets be very clear about something I am not expecting a new top of the line fork as a replacement, though that would have been nice to begin with on my $4500 bike!!! What I wanted was a decent fork that could be ridden hard without diving dangerously. I had a few very close calls with the fork while I was riding it. A novice rider could have been easily bucked off the bike and sustained serious injury. This made upgrading to the Pike a necessity for safety sake.

The way I see it rider safety takes a back seat to profit in the eyes of Fux. Profit at all costs and denying all flaws until someone gets hurt is Fux's modus operandi.

All attempts to remedy the forks poor and dangerous performance with Fux customer service were met with an attitude, innuendo that it was somehow my fault (I didnít set up the fork right), all the people online are full of it, all the complaints are merely hearsay, everyone we know is happy with the fork and you should be too. Oh your ok with paying for the damper upgrade, good, but you have the Evo model so your SOL after all LOL. That is the customer service I got from Fux.

Just look at all the complaints at the ďask us anythingĒ with Fux on Pinkbike earlier this year. People all over the place were complaining about the 2013 models and Fux customer service or lack there of. Complains for the most part were ignored, met with denial, or drowned out by the army of Fux fanboys.

Ask Us Anything: Fox Factory - Pinkbike

I am calling Fux out for the following reasons:

1. Putting out a crappy product unbefitting with their top of the line brand image.
    2. Not owning up after countless people with the fork expressed their great disappointment with the lack of quality and most importantly concern about the safety in the performance of the fork.
    3. Half-assed attempt to address the problem with the cartridge update that is not available for Evo models.
    4. Even after the Forks were proven to be dangerous they will not recall all of them.

I think my complaints are more than sound and are echoed by countless others riding the 2013 CTD Evo models.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Draper View Post
    owned.
    To all the little insignificant sidekick voices emanating from the peanut gallery please kindly STFU unless you have something of value to add, thank you very much.

- Conductor of the orchestra.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    How is the quote you are referring to a tantrum? My initial post Ö perhaps. However when reasoned debate has fallen on deaf ears a tantrum as you put it is the next best thing.

Lets be very clear about something I am not expecting a new top of the line fork as a replacement, though that would have been nice to begin with on my $4500 bike!!! What I wanted was a decent fork that could be ridden hard without diving dangerously. I had a few very close calls with the fork while I was riding it. A novice rider could have been easily bucked off the bike and sustained serious injury. This made upgrading to the Pike a necessity for safety sake.

The way I see it rider safety takes a back seat to profit in the eyes of Fux. Profit at all costs and denying all flaws until someone gets hurt is Fux's modus operandi.

All attempts to remedy the forks poor and dangerous performance with Fux customer service were met with an attitude, innuendo that it was somehow my fault (I didnít set up the fork right), all the people online are full of it, all the complaints are merely hearsay, everyone we know is happy with the fork and you should be too. Oh your ok with paying for the damper upgrade, good, but you have the Evo model so your SOL after all LOL. That is the customer service I got from Fux.

Just look at all the complaints at the ďask us anythingĒ with Fux on Pinkbike earlier this year. People all over the place were complaining about the 2013 models and Fux customer service or lack there of. Complains for the most part were ignored, met with denial, or drowned out by the army of Fux fanboys.

Ask Us Anything: Fox Factory - Pinkbike

I am calling Fux out for the following reasons:

1. Putting out a crappy product unbefitting with their top of the line brand image.
    2. Not owning up after countless people with the fork expressed their great disappointment with the lack of quality and most importantly concern about the safety in the performance of the fork.
    3. Half-assed attempt to address the problem with the cartridge update that is not available for Evo models.
    4. Even after the Forks were proven to be dangerous they will not recall all of them.

I think my complaints are more than sound and are echoed by countless others riding the 2013 CTD Evo models.

First off, blame the manufacturer of your bike and yourself for not getting a better fork on the bike. They specced it and you bought it. My $4500 bike has top of the line Fox on both ends.

They did address the safety concern, there's a recall.

You not liking the tune is not a safety issue, it's you not liking the tune.
    The reviews have been critical of the 2013 forks since they came out. Due diligence on the buyer part. I read them, so I saved my 2012 fork and sold the 2013 as a new take off. You could have worked in a fork swap into the bike purchase. Lots of options.

I have a 120hz TV, shortly after that they released 240hz TVs, my 120 doesn't perform as well as the 240, should I get a new TV? I wish for less than $100 I could upgrade my TV but I can't.

They offered new air springs at a reasonable price, but that's not good enough for you, you're going to shout, scream and stomp your feet like a little kid. Grow up.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    First off, blame the manufacturer of your bike and yourself for not getting a better fork on the bike. They specced it and you bought it. My $4500 bike has top of the line Fox on both ends.

They did address the safety concern, there's a recall.

You not liking the tune is not a safety issue, it's you not liking the tune.
    The reviews have been critical of the 2013 forks since they came out. Due diligence on the buyer part. I read them, so I saved my 2012 fork and sold the 2013 as a new take off. You could have worked in a fork swap into the bike purchase. Lots of options.

I have a 120hz TV, shortly after that they released 240hz TVs, my 120 doesn't perform as well as the 240, should I get a new TV? I wish for less than $100 I could upgrade my TV but I can't.

They offered new air springs at a reasonable price, but that's not good enough for you, you're going to shout, scream and stomp your feet like a little kid. Grow up.
    Please do keep making assumptions though I donít need more proof that you sir are an @$$, a large magnanimous one. Need I suggest what you can do with your advice?

As for not doing my research, NO, actually I was fully aware of the horrible quality of the fork prior to buying the bike. I tried numerous bike shops and NO ONE was willing to take the Fux fork, NO ONE!

The fact that I knew that I would probably have to upgrade the fork is neither here nor there. For those like yourself who are stumbling around in a confused self-righteous stupor the issue at hand is NOT the circumstances under which someone purchased their bike but rather the horrible/dangerous product quality, lack of concern and good customer service of Fux.

Prior to this recall it was well known that the fork dives dangerously, the current recall is just the cherry on top of the $h!tty 2013 ctd Fux cake. That is the issue I was concerned with. Donít know about air spring upgrades, to paraphrase Fux there is nothing I could do to my Evo fork to improve its performance. I called them a few times trying to remedy the issue.

Sure the bike manufacturers made a mistake by building with these forks. At the end of the day itís a Fux problem not any bike manufacturers. I tested a few bikes and ALL of them had the 2013 Fux forks, which no one was willing to trade out for.

Kind of feel like a broken record, its nice outside, going to go ride my oh so sweet RS Pike!

mtbr member

This is entertaining to watch/read. Pretty safe to assume we're not discussing how to fix the problem?

Does anyone know how bike manufacturers like Specialized view the warranty if you do swap out a different brand fork? Or is it the honesty policy?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Please do keep making assumptions though I donít need more proof that you sir are an @$$, a large magnanimous one. Need I suggest what you can do with your advice?

As for not doing my research, NO, actually I was fully aware of the horrible quality of the fork prior to buying the bike. I tried numerous bike shops and NO ONE was willing to take the Fux fork, NO ONE!

The fact that I knew that I would probably have to upgrade the fork is neither here nor there. For those like yourself who are stumbling around in a confused self-righteous stupor the issue at hand is NOT the circumstances under which someone purchased their bike but rather the horrible/dangerous product quality, lack of concern and good customer service of Fux.

Prior to this recall it was well known that the fork dives dangerously, the current recall is just the cherry on top of the $h!tty 2013 ctd Fux cake. That is the issue I was concerned with. Donít know about air spring upgrades, to paraphrase Fux there is nothing I could do to my Evo fork to improve its performance. I called them a few times trying to remedy the issue.

Sure the bike manufacturers made a mistake by building with these forks. At the end of the day itís a Fux problem not any bike manufacturers. I tested a few bikes and ALL of them had the 2013 Fux forks, which no one was willing to trade out for.

Kind of feel like a broken record, its nice outside, going to go ride my oh so sweet RS Pike!
    LOL drama queen. Oh the horror to image all the lower end bikes out there with low quality forks that don't perform well are dangerous. Lets save everyone, ban low end forks.

Maybe you get Obama on that before he's gone

Oh and by the way you're link as proof to pinkbike, well first it's pinkbike second I've seen that one before and still just complaints about the tune and performance.
    I'd love to see your evidence of the 'DANGEROUS' diving.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by markgrise View Post
    This is entertaining to watch/read. Pretty safe to assume we're not discussing how to fix the problem?

Does anyone know how bike manufacturers like Specialized view the warranty if you do swap out a different brand fork? Or is it the honesty policy?
    If you work out a part swap with the LBS as part of a purchase, the Manufacturer isn't going to warranty that part, you'd be covered by the part's warranty.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I am going to burn all my FUX shirts, I will now only refer to this company as FUX.

ROCK SHOX 4 LIFE!
    You do realize that Fox Head and Fox Tail are two different companies, right?
    Maintain internal heights.

orthonormal

The recall addresses a structural integrity issue, not a performance issue. Your complaint is with the fork's performance, despite your claim that the lack of mid-stroke support makes the fork dangerous. The dive can be easily addressed by increasing pressure and/or using the trail/climb settings. While that will make the fork perform even worse, it's still a performance issue.

By the way, magnanimous probably wasn't the adjective you meant to use.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The recall addresses a structural integrity issue, not a performance issue. Your complaint is with the fork's performance, despite your claim that the lack of mid-stroke support makes the fork dangerous. The dive can be easily addressed by increasing pressure and/or using the trail/climb settings. While that will make the fork perform even worse, it's still a performance issue.

By the way, magnanimous probably wasn't the adjective you meant to use.
    Andy beat me to it. While the 2013 tune was terrible, it wasn't dangerous. I simply added a little more air and left it in Trail mode. One ride around the block told me that Descend mode didn't have enough compression and I didn't use it.

Am I upset that the 2013 tune wasn't up to my standards? Yes. Am I upset that I had to pay $80 to fox to get a good tune on it even though 2014 forks now come with this tune? Hells yes. But this is all par for the course for Fox. Aside from the Fox fanbois, the rest of us learned years ago that Fox will always have some issue and even though the 2014 stuff is the best they've done.....

I still bought a Pike.

The only reason I've had Fox on my last two bikes is because I bought complete bikes. I sell the Fox stuff to the fanbois on eBay and buy Rockshox. I avoided the lower spec build specifically because of the Evo shock and fork and would rather have bought a frame and built it up rather than try to sell the lower spec stuff. BTW, I also spent $4500 for my carbon Bronson. Used. 2 weeks old. X-01 package.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoyken View Post
    Andy beat me to it. While the 2013 tune was terrible, it wasn't dangerous. I simply added a little more air and left it in Trail mode. One ride around the block told me that Descend mode didn't have enough compression and I didn't use it.

Am I upset that the 2013 tune wasn't up to my standards? Yes. Am I upset that I had to pay $80 to fox to get a good tune on it even though 2014 forks now come with this tune? Hells yes. But this is all par for the course for Fox. Aside from the Fox fanbois, the rest of us learned years ago that Fox will always have some issue and even though the 2014 stuff is the best they've done.....

I still bought a Pike.

The only reason I've had Fox on my last two bikes is because I bought complete bikes. I sell the Fox stuff to the fanbois on eBay and buy Rockshox. I avoided the lower spec build specifically because of the Evo shock and fork and would rather have bought a frame and built it up rather than try to sell the lower spec stuff. BTW, I also spent $4500 for my carbon Bronson. Used. 2 weeks old. X-01 package.
    Just because people act like adults and not children doesn't make us fanbois. Every brand has had issues, if you think otherwise .....
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi guys. As many suggested the recall addresses a safety issue not a performance one. My fork was within the recall batch and was upgraded to the fit cartridge which I believe is performing much better. But to be honest I am not sure if the Fit cartridge is so much better or it it that just my Evo was not performing well because it was problematic due to the recall related issues.

mtbr member
    Just because people act like adults and not children doesn't make us fanbois. Every brand has had issues, if you think otherwise .....
    I wasn't calling you a fanboi, but I was refering to the majority of people who think Fox makes the best suspension on the market. It's just not true. Rockshox and X-fusion are far better. Yes, all manufacturers have issues, but they are usually fixed once. I've got a long, long list from my friends and I of failed Fox products. At one point my friend had 2 RP23s on rotation (he borrowed one from another friend who switched to a Monarch) because they kept blowing oil out the seals.

Not a problem when you're a World Cup racer with a personal mechanic and access to their RAD custom tuning, but the stuff they sell to you an I doesn't compare to RS or XF. If you like Fox, that's great, it's your choice, but I've owned or ridden just about every Fox product and I'm honestly done with them.