mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Found my grippy and fast tire combo (affordable!)

Hey all,

Just wanted to share a tire combo that has worked great for my so cal trail conditions: a kenda Nevegal DTC 2.1 on the front and a WTB Beeline 2.2 race in the rear. I have used this combo for about two weeks of aggressive trail: loose over hard and sandy conditions. The tires have also had to put up with my approx. 7 mile road ride to my most frequented trailhead. Bike is a 2012 Jamis Dragon 650B.

Originally had Nevegals front and rear but this combo had too much rolling resistance, especially on the road. Wanted to keep the grippy Nevegal on the front so I ordered a 2.1 slant 6 for the rear to speed things up. Much to my dismay the Slant 6 (available only in the SCT version) was 719 grams! Seeing as how I still run tubes, I wasn't willing to accept this weight penalty.

For the heck of it I ordered the Beeline race (they also offer a TCS version). Casing volume is the same as the Nevegal with the Nevegal being slightly wider from knob to knob. Weight of the tire is 595 grams on a digital scale. Knob height on the Beeline is slightly taller than something like a small block 8 and there's more spacing between each knob as well- I think it strikes a nice balance. Man, this tire rolls FAST! Interestingly I haven't noticed much loss in braking, cornering, or climbing performance with this tire on the rear.

The best part is the tire can be had for about $46 bucks and change (Cycle Club Sports) and Jenson will match that price. This sure as heck beats the cost of the other tire brands out there. For my conditions, I have been extremely pleased with the combo.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tip dude.
    Can you get an accurate measurement of the tread to tread diameter of the wheel, and the width of the tire along with what rim it's mounted on and at what PSI?
    .... would be doubly awesome if you could update that information to this "Tire Reference" thread:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/27-...-833399-4.html