mtbr member
    Jan 2008

The Formula for an awesome conversion

Take 1 Surly Troll, HA angle 71 degrees, add a set of 650b wheels, replace 453mm, 40mm rake fork with 468mm,45mm rake fork and you are left with a bike that steers better than when it was stock. I'm not sure what I've done as far as the actual geometry numbers but I have to tell you that this thing steers like it has never before. It actually 'rails' turns. Somehow I've hit the jackpot. I love this bike more, the more I ride it.

DSC07232

DSC07229

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm glad you like your bike but I cracked up when I saw the pics. You got granny bars, granny seat and are in the granny gear. Are those really springs under that saddle?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

It's grandpa to you

Considering I'm a 53 year old dude it would be grandpa bar seat and gear. Yet strangley I'm able to ride with people on...

carbon 29er hardtails

29er dual suspension

carbon 26 dual suspension

Pneuma mountain bike trail, Moose Mountain, AB | bikepirate: get the latest dirt on trails to ride

Sometimes just for shits and giggles I'll ride with racks and panniers

Powderface Creek Trail to Prairie Creek Trail: Kananaskis, Alberta | bikepirate: get the latest dirt on trails to ride

Show me what you got, my first impression of you is that you are one of those cart before the horse kind of fellas.

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    Considering I'm a 53 year old dude it would be grandpa bar seat and gear. Yet strangley I'm able to ride with people on...

Show me what you got, my first impression of you is that you are one of those cart before the horse kind of fellas.

Damned fine ride if you ask me.

Dissolved member
    Yeah, looking good. Kudos for riding fully rigid!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is an awesome build. May I ask: frame size and what replacement fork you've used? I'd like to run 27.5 x 2.4 on a Troll (front & rear), would there be enough clearance in your opinion? Much appreciated as there's no LBS in South Africa that stocks Surly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hi, thanks. The Troll is a 16", the fork is a Salsa Fargo V2. You may have to slide the rear wheel back slightly in the dropout to clear a 2.4" tire but it will fit no problem. A 2.4" tire will fit the stock front fork, I upgraded because of the braze ons for rack mounting.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Saddle Up. I'm 5ft 5 and need to decide: Ogre or Troll (on 650b), both would be built with a rigid fork on 2.4 tyres. My riding is mostly hardpack dirt, jeep track and singletrack on the odd occasion. My major concern is height at the front end as my saddle height is extremely low, more so on the 29er. Its a pity Surly dont post this frame dimension as Salsa (M.Stack height) do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Putting 650b on a Ogre will lower the BB too much, putting 650b on the Troll has not seemed to have any negative effects

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, the Ogre has a huge BB drop. The plan is Ogre 29er or Troll 650B. A tough choice since I have ridden neither wheel size.

I have since drawn both (16 Oger and 16 Troll) in a CAD application and have added my own setup from current bike.

The Oger is perfect with an inverted stem. The only downside is that my backside will be pretty close to the rear wheel (short + short in-seam). The bike will look hideous but I don't care much about that. The 650b Troll will offer a more moderate approach.

I'm inclined to go with the 29er: the size is established and I'm not convinced 650b rolls that much better than 26. Plus I want a smoother ride without any suspension. The 29er wheelset I'm planning to build will be very light. A shorter stem + wider bars should give me ample control when needed. Looking at your Flickr stream, you have exposure to all sorts of bikes; would you agree with my thinking? Your help is highly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Rawk On Grandpa! Cool bike.

..... kids these days....Jeez

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    ^ ha ha thanks, 1440 I sold my Karate Monkey almost immediately after doing the 650b conversion on the Troll. I find that for me 650b really is the mama bear size. There is enough of an improvement over 26" to warrant the conversion. 29er feels cumbersome by comparison.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks Saddle Up.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddle Up View Post
    ...Yet strangley I'm able to ride with people on... carbon 29er hardtails, 29er dual suspension, carbon 26 dual suspension.

Damn, your palm must be a bit tender after laying that smackdown so effectively. Seriously though, great looking bike. That saddle alone, as comfy as it is, weighs about as much as that carbon 29er bike. I dig it. Says more about the motor than the bike.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.