Thread: Formula 35 Fork

mtbr member

Formula 35 Fork

I'm a bit surprised there has not been much chatter about the new Formula 35 160mm fork.

Enduro Mountain Bike Magazine: Bigger and Badder: The Formula 35 Suspension Fork

I'm most likely going to pick up a Pivot Mach 6, or a Rocky altitude this fall and will be fork shopping. This fork has the competition beat by a long shot weight wise. 1650 grams is like xc fork weight, Ill be waiting eagerly to hear reviews in terms of stiffness. Otherwise I'm leaning towards the X-fusion sweep.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    I am very interested in this fork. I'll be hunting for a 275 compatible 150mm fork soon and just like you my biggest concern is stiffness. I'm well and truly over my Fox 32 - not confidence inspiring at all. I had originally planned on the Pike, convinced that 35mm was the way to go. If Formula have managed to make this fork stiff enough, at that weight I'd be keen to give it a try.

Trail Ninja
    I was interested in this fork until the Pike stole the spot light.

The 33 got rave reviews, saying it's the top tier among short travel XC/trail forks, with the only issue being that the seal above the bushing not doing such a great job at keeping oil inside.

lives to ride
    Feb 2005
    Did I read somewhere that the seals are different between the 33 and the 35? I can't find that anywhere now of course.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    "Interestingly, the fork was designed with a looser fit than normal at the bushings. This is said to allow the non-toxic Ballistol oil used internally to lube the system and reduce friction greatly. After cycling the fork a few times, the oil takes fills the void, removing any play in the fork. Because of this design, some oil seepage will be seen on the stanchions, although it's only a small amount. Once your fork runs dry, it's a quick visual cue that it's time for service. "

Formula 35 Fork - Sea Otter Classic - 2013 Sea Otter Classic Pit Bits - 2nd Edition - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the Formula 35 on my bike now. It is a great fork. It beats any of the recent fox forks I've had including Kashima 36. Pleanty stiff. The nice thing is the fork is so active and uses mid stroke so well... small bump is sensational, and it ramps up nicely towards the end. It also sits high in the travel (unlike the X-Fusion which tend to dive and sit somewhat low) and is always ready for either small or big hits. The 5mm allen key operated Syntace X-12 axle is a neat touch too. Ovewrall very impressed!
    German BIKE mag tested the Pike, Formula 35, Deville, Fox 34 and put the Formula on par with Fox and Rock shox, with the Formula being the lightest and having the best small bump compliance as well as very useable damping adjustement range. In terms of stiffness they rated the Fox fork, Pike and Formula fork very simarly from the torsion test.

Enduro Mountainbike Magazine | Digital & kostenlos edition 9 online mag has a review that is biased towards the Pike, but the Formula is still highly regarded.