mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Fork, 29er vs 650b approved.

I'm ridding 650b in the front now with a RS duke. I don't know how much longer the fork's got. I really don't like it alot either. I want a Fox and was thinking of getting the 29er fox instead of 26 incase I ever wanted to go B9er. But would that throw the front up to high, along with the bb, when riding with a B in the front? Should i just go 26 fox and just plan on staying all B.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I went 26" fox fork and 650b with no intention to run 29'er. I figure if I were to ever go 29'er on the front I would buy a more specific frame for it and would be spending $$$ anyway.

TNC
    noMAD man
    You probably need to either go 29'er totally or stay with 650B. One of the main advantages of 650B is retaining near-26'er geometry with a taller wheel/tire. Sticking a 650B into a 29'er sounds counterproductive, as you get a tall fork, less travel for a give axle-to-crown height, and some odd geometry. I'm not saying that one couldn't come up with a workable setup that suits a given rider's preference, but I think I'd rather have a 650B'd 26" bike setup, a true 69'er, or a full 29'er. Of course a 69'er that uses a 650B rear also sounds intriguing. But on the whole, I don't see much logic in the 29'er fork and 650B wheel/tire setup.

Still, if the money isn't a major issue, experiments like these can be fun and can sometimes result in useable setups.

mtbr member
    Another option to consider if you are on a tight budget is to replace the Duke with a Psylo (not much of a huge upgrade) but you'd still have a ton of tire clearance with a Psylo if indeed you are on a tight budget.

A fox would be sweet. Another idea is to keep your eyes peeled for X-Fusion Velvets.

nothing relevant to say
    650B Approved probably isn't the best term to use. As Fox hasn't approved the 650B for use in their 26" forks. X-Fusion is the only company who has given the official THUMBS UP for their Velvet. Other forks will "fit" a larger wheel, but not approved.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    650B Approved probably isn't the best term to use. As Fox hasn't approved the 650B for use in their 26" forks. X-Fusion is the only company who has given the official THUMBS UP for their Velvet. Other forks will "fit" a larger wheel, but not approved.
    For lack of a better term, "approved" by members in this forum. I like the looks of the velvet, but i feel like i have more confidence in fox, being that they have been around longer. Some good points were made. I haven't ridden a 29 since I went to 650. Could just be all in my head. I could plop a big wheel on the front and hate it the same way as before. Not to mention that the geometry of the jamis is not for 29 at all.

mtbr member
    No need to fear the XFusion.

Look over to the right and click on the link to the XFusion Velvet Fork and 02 rear shock information. See it over there to the right?