mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Fork with 1" steerer to accomodate a 650b wheel

Does anybody know of a fork with a 1" steerer that can handle a a 650b wheel? I have a Fat Chance Buckshaver that I would love to run with a 650b up front. I know I this is probably a long shot but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks

'Calm Down'
    Do you want to use rim or disc brakes? What axle to crown length do you need?

Obviously if you want to run a disc brake it will be mildly easier to find a fork. If you need to run rim brakes, you'll most likely need to have a custom fork made. And remember that installing only a front 650b wheel is going to slacken you head and seat tube angles. Which you may or may not be able to compensate for depending on how long a fork you need.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by Haystack Calhoun
    Does anybody know of a fork with a 1" steerer that can handle a a 650b wheel? I have a Fat Chance Buckshaver that I would love to run with a 650b up front. I know I this is probably a long shot but I thought I would throw it out there.

Thanks
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    At this point I am not too particular. Disc brake is fine. I am not sure on the axel to crown dimension.

Uncle
    Custom rigid is your ticket to 650bdome. I think there's a guy named Walt that posts in the custom builders' forum every so often. It's been said that he can make a beautiful fork for any bike that needs one. Otherwise, you might check to see if on of the forks sold by qbp could accommodate the 650b. My gut says that the early 1" susp. forks don't have very high arches, so to speak.

Good luck.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a 1" 390mm A-C fork from an old Breezer. The wheel is centered in the fork but the camera is off a bit to the right. FMF brakes clear with plenty of room for the straddle cable with lots of adjustment available. You should be able to dig up at least a used 400mm A-C fork for more clearance.
    Attached Images Attached Images