mtbr member
    Jan 2004

FMF brake for 650b conversion

Thanks to all who mentioned these previously. While not as nice as my Avid Ultimates they get the job done for using 650's in a 26" rim brake frame or fork. Lots of adjustment and easy enough to set up. MMcG, you might be interested in these. I think they can still be found on ebay.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    could use paul motobmx....

'Calm Down'
    Paul motobmx have enough pad adjustment, but the cable carrier is large and not high enough. So they didn't give enough clearance above the tire when I tried them. Looks like the FMF's may have slightly longer arms, which would give more tire clearance under the cable.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    could use paul motobmx....
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Cane Creek

The Cane Creek brakes could also be made to work by machining a new brake slot. If you look closely at the pick the brakes are mounted onto a modular plate. If you were to make a new plate with a longer slot, I think they could work for 650B rims.

http://www.canecreek.com/direct-curve-5-brakes.html

Cheers,

KP
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

Pacenti Cycle Design

mtbr member
    I have a set of these ordered up!

Thanks again to steelbike and others for pointing out their adjustability capability!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    These have worked fine for me. I changed out the pads for Kool-Stops which are an improvement over the pads the brake came with. The FMF does not look very fancy but it's great for the adjustments.
    Hopefully I'll have a dedicated 650b frame in the spring running discs and then I'll use this on the front of an older Ibis with a 26" fork with a 650b.

Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I have a set of these ordered up!

Thanks again to steelbike and others for pointing out their adjustability capability!!!