mtbr member
    Mar 2008

First scenario I found where a 26" would have done better

Riding super muddy off camber traverse this past weekend with my son the trail was full of slick roots all sloping right to left and aweful slick. My 650b wheel was just traversing the roots (not touching dirt) resulting in many wash outs where my son's 26" wheels would slip a little on a root, gain traction again before hitting the next one. Guy in front of us on a Niner couldn't stay on the bike and went down hard on his hip. Don't think his tire ever touched dirt.

Maromero
    My first thought would be, wrong tire selection and I am a 26 user, hopefully soon Turner Flux tweener.
    Last edited by doccoraje; 06-24-2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    May 2013
    No matter what wheel size I'm riding I always seem to find sections of trail where I catch myself thinking "this would be better on...." so you're not alone there.

I rode this weekend on a rigid 26" and had sections where I was really pushing to keep up with the pack, and sections where I was one of the fastest riders.

Clearly every wheel size has strengths and weaknesses but based on what you're saying 650b seems to be the perfect middle ground for the trails you were riding considering your son's 26" dominated while your friend's 29" caused him to have a bad day out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    My first thought would be, wrong tire selection and I am a 26 user, hopefully soon Turner Flux tweener.
    Not sure there's really a tire choice that could own those circumstances, at least not one that's available for 650b yet, maybe a DH Mud tire.

Quote Originally Posted by onegearaddic
    ...Clearly every wheel size has strengths and weaknesses...
    Absolutely, in general I've found more pros than cons with the 650b. Just pointing out that I've found a trail where 26" are more desirable, even if it wasn't wet the trail had little flow and was much more trials like so a 26" would be quicker to hop around on. Still loving my choice, will just bring my 26" bike next time I ride there

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by kburati View Post
    Not sure there's really a tire choice that could own those circumstances, at least not one that's available for 650b yet, maybe a DH Mud tire.
    I didn't make myself clear, maybe your son was using better tires for that particular trail and conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    I didn't make myself clear, maybe your son was using better tires for that particular trail and conditions.
    Maybe his back tire which is a Hutchinson Barracuda 2.1 but his front is aweful in the wet/mud, Hutchinson Cougar. I hated those tires but he seems to do OK on them.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    I bet the guy riding 24" wheels smoked all three of you on that trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    I bet the guy riding 24" wheels smoked all three of you on that trail.
    He would have but this kid on a 12" Walmart bike came through so fast we all had to get out of the way