mtbr member
    Sep 2013

First Bike... Considering a Santa Cruz Solo

Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting my first mountain bike. I've owned dirtbikes and streetbikes for years and I've rented DH bikes before when visiting Whistler so I'm fairly comfortable on a bike.

I'm looking for a trail bike. I want to ride up and down hills along single track trails near where I live (Edmonton river valley) and I don't want to rely on shuttling up or anything like that. I mostly want a bike where I can go out, have fun and get some exercise.

I'm leaning towards the Santa Cruz Solo at this point in time. Do you think it would be suitable for what I'm after?

I will say this. I'm moving back to Vancouver in another year when I'm finished grad school at U of A. I'll probably ride in the north shore then. This might have an affect on which bike is recommended.

Thanks,

Cole

mtbr member
    The Solo is a true do it all bike. They are not cheap(so make sure that you are going to stick with Mountain biking, and that its the bike you want) and they are tough to find. Also they just changed the name of it to 5010 because of a lawsuit... stupid.

125mm might be a bit low if you are trying to get into more techy/downhill territory. But that bike is made to climb. If you are more about going down than going up, a Bronson might be better for you because it gives your another inch (25mm) of travel.

mtbr member
    I think the Solo is a fine choice. With a 140mm fork, the capabilities of the bike will take you a long way. I am usually not a fan of travel adjust forks, but maybe it will work for you...the 2014 Fox 34 Talas, for example would be the ticket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I never thought of adjustable travel forks. Stock is 125mm on the Solo. Using the 110/140 Tala forks would allow for a slacker head angle for going downhill and a steeper head angle for climbing. Sounds good!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cmrocks View Post
    Hi guys,

I will say this. I'm moving back to Vancouver in another year when I'm finished grad school at U of A. I'll probably ride in the north shore then. This might have an affect on which bike is recommended.
    This last bit makes me think a Bronson might be a better choice for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My $.02: If this is your first mountain bike, don't buy a $4K+ new bike. Search Craigslist and get an excellent used bike for $1500 or less (like, say, a Santa Cruz Blur LT, Ibis Mojo or Giant Trance X or Reign that are a couple of years old) and ride it for a year or two. See if you like it, and if so, see what you like about it (do you really want better climbing ability, plusher descents, etc.)? Then, in a couple of years after you actually know something about what you want (and if you can afford it), start thinking about a more expensive bike. That's what I'd do, anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkon View Post
    My $.02: If this is your first mountain bike, don't buy a $4K+ new bike. Search Craigslist and get an excellent used bike for $1500 or less (like, say, a Santa Cruz Blur LT, Ibis Mojo or Giant Trance X or Reign that are a couple of years old) and ride it for a year or two. See if you like it, and if so, see what you like about it (do you really want better climbing ability, plusher descents, etc.)? Then, in a couple of years after you actually know something about what you want (and if you can afford it), start thinking about a more expensive bike. That's what I'd do, anyway.
    +1 agreed
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkon View Post
    X2

Also since you wouldn't even probably realize this being your first bike the Solo (nickname SoLow) has a very low bottom bracket height. If you think you will be riding in allot of rocks, roots, etc. that could be an issue, especially for a new rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi all, I have a Solo (pre law suit!!) and I find no issues with the BB height. I had a Trek Remedy 9 previously and constantly hit the pedals. Love my Solo for long rides - both up hill and descending! Did a three hour ride two days ago, two of those hours were up hill and the last was a technical descent. This bike rocks! I should state also that I have the aluminum frame. Cheers