mtbr member

Finaly a preview of the new canfields bros....

Looks nice.
    If it rides as good as my One it should be a great bike.

That said i was personnaly expecting something a bit different, canfield has always been coming out with new and unconventionnal/revolutionnary products..This one looks to "common" to me

I would have liked a bike as burly as this one with less travel.

From their facebook page:

The Canfield Brothers Balance, our version of what a 27.5, 160mm All Mountain bike SHOULD be. Tough enough for park riding, yet unparallelled pedaling performance. Go any where, do ANYTHING!

We will have more details with a full release in the upcoming months and ETA is expected to be early summer 2014.

Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finaly a preview of the new canfields bros....-image.jpg  

expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    I kinda agree. Even from the aesthetic perspective, there are hotter looking frames out there. I'm sure they dialed in the geometry though.

mtbr member
    A welcome addition to a growing segment. May not count as being revolutionary, but looks nice.... Looking forward to seeing geo and reading some reviews.

U $ 4 O?
    I don't know about that.. haven't seen in person but look at the beefy aluminum rear triangle, who else has this?..looks pretty solid.. Devinci prototype is the only one that I've seen that comes to mind

mtbr member
    It looks really good to me. From that single image, I can't say there is anything I don't like about it.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    I kinda agree as well, considering some of the comments made leading up to this had me believing that they might be releasing something more unique. But in the scheme of things, how much more unique can a AM 160mm frame be? All in all I like what I'm looking at, all we need now is some production geo numbers.

It looks like-
    There might be geo adjust via drop out's?

It certainly has-
    Asymmetric chainstays as part of that tough rear triangle, ISCG tabs and tapered ht.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Finaly a preview of the new canfields bros....-1000x400balance1.jpg  

Last edited by bigcrs; 11-29-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add pic
    Old enough to know better, too old to give a F$cK

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I agree. Not the sexiest bike there but looks very much tool for the jobs. Looks really tough.
    There are 160mm bike which didn't feel has 160mm travel. If it has the One trait, it shouldn't feel that way.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Hard funkin Kraut
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    I kinda agree as well, considering some of the comments made leading up to this had me believing that they might be releasing something more unique. But in the scheme of things, how much more unique can a AM 160mm frame be? All in all I like what I'm looking at, all we need now is some production geo numbers.

It looks like - There might be geo adjust via drop out's?

It certainly has - Asymmetric chainstays as part of that tough rear triangle, ISCG tabs and tapered ht.
    I really like the Look of the Frame. Somehow much better as some Carbon-Offerings from others. Its possibly not super special on the very first Look, but Im sure Canfield is going to make it more "unique" or "uncommon" by the Geometry, same as their Friends from Banshee. Both Companies usually go the more "aggressive" Root when it comes to Geometry and Sizing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    I don't know about that.. haven't seen in person but look at the beefy aluminum rear triangle, who else has this?..looks pretty solid.. Devinci prototype is the only one that I've seen that comes to mind
    All of Cannondale's 2014 Overmountain bikes have a ridiculously beefy aluminum rear triangle. No, they don't have a 650b offering yet but I bet they're working on it.

My brother has the 2013 jekyll MX and when you see the frame in person it is built like a monster truck, no wonder Clementz shredded the hell out of his this year

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStyle View Post
    I really like the Look of the Frame. Somehow much better as some Carbon-Offerings from others. Its possibly not super special on the very first Look, but Im sure Canfield is going to make it more "unique" or "uncommon" by the Geometry, same as their Friends from Banshee. Both Companies usually go the more "aggressive" Root when it comes to Geometry and Sizing.
    They haven't let the cat out of the bag yet, but since the Balance has taken the The One's spot on their website lineup I too am sure we'll see something a little more Canfield like.

If the Balance has taken The One's spot it'll have some big shoes to fill, and new expectations to satisfy. Though just like Knolly's Chilcotin (amongst others) had knocked the Delirium off, it would not seem too surprising that the Balance will do the same.

mtbr member
    If the design allows for sub-17" chainstays, with a good-pedaling multi-link suspension design, and plenty of fat tire clearance.... that would be something to brag about

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    I'd be curious to know what kind of fork it's built around. The One was built to handle up to a 180mm right? Like a Mini-DH?

The 160mm Enduro/AM market has stiff competition these days, and as much as I love the Canfield Brothers stuff, The One has always been very expensive for what it offered, luckily there wasn't anyone else offering competition. The 160mm 27.5 game, on the other hand, is a full one.
    I do custom ArcGIS and Google Maps, including data collection and sustainable trail layout. Ride Welsh Mountain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    If the design allows for sub-17" chainstays, with a good-pedaling multi-link suspension design, and plenty of fat tire clearance.... that would be something to brag about
    Just looking at that frame shot (no visible provision for a f/d )sub 17's is what I think we'er in for. Good/great pedalling is a giving, and if any of tire clearance is inherited from the current The One's tire clearance wont be so great.

U $ 4 O?
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I'd be curious to know what kind of fork it's built around. The One was built to handle up to a 180mm right? Like a Mini-DH?
    Yeah I'm hoping 180mm Metric.. some specs would be nice

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcrs View Post
    Just looking at that frame shot (no visible provision for a f/d )sub 17's is what I think we'er in for. Good/great pedalling is a giving, and if any of tire clearance is inherited from the current The One's tire clearance wont be so great.
    No worries bigcrs,

stays- 16.75"
    tire clearance like our Jedi- about 12mm.
    And yes- Insane pedaling.

Look close- the FD block is in there-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cSquared View Post
    No worries bigcrs,

stays- 16.75"
    tire clearance like our Jedi- about 12mm.
    And yes- Insane pedaling.

Look close- the FD block is in there-
    I'll look a little harder next time, blind freddy could have seen that block.

Any other numbers you might want to share?

Canfield Brothers
    Thank you guys for all the responses over the last week. It's been fun seeing all of your first impressions. Our goal with the Balance is to offer the "Enduro" riders a stout 160mm bike that not only has amazing pedaling characteristics, but will also have our Canfield confidence inspiring capabilities for descents. We designed the Balance around the RS 160mm Pike and configured geo to work both 27.5 and 26. (26 for customers looking to make the Balance more park oriented.) We did not incorporate adjustable geo/travel features in this bike as we did not feel they were necessary for a bike in this genre. Of, course by running internal/external headsets or a longer fork you will have the option of dialing in the HA to your personal preference and riding style. (I will be running mine with 26's and a Marz 170mm 55 Evo Ti to make the perfect Bellingham trail slayer).

The Balance will be replacing The One in our line up, however I will say the 160mm Balance feels really deep for its travel and feels similar in depth to The One in 7 mode. The shorter rear, (16.75 stays), allows the bike to feel nimble and corner like its on rails. This bike is simply put - REALLY FUN to ride and we are very excited to bring this bike to the market! Here's a rad shot of Lance testing it's capabilities:
    Finaly a preview of the new canfields bros....-lance-canfield.jpg

We'll have the full details and answers to the rest of your questions when we do our full release as we get closer to having bikes available.

Vin

mtbr member
    If this is half as good as the original Balance it will be amazing. I had one back in the day that I ran as a mini-DH and it was *****in'. Should have probably never sold the bike. Hopefully this one is a bit lighter weight
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

Dissolved member
    I am watching this bike with a great interest. What is the planned BB height? Some of us easterners like it a little higher and the pictures do not seem to be indicating a tremendous amount of BB drop.