mtbr member

Finally tried a 29er...

I think it's all just personal preference like boxers or briefs. Honestly I read a lot about 29ers and really thought I'd enjoy it. However after riding a few and even doing a bike shoot out with the same technical section and three different bike I can say there are some things I can understand that people enjoy. Although for me it was just too slow and the control sucked. Sweepers were fun and climbing actually wasn't as painful. But sweepers and climbing isn't why I mountain bike. I like the technical stuff. Fast or slow but I really like that feeling of I just rode that section that looks like it would suck to walk through.

I am a tall Clyde that prefers a smaller frame. I think it's from my BMX past. So after talking to a guy in the shop the other day that had a similar background and riding style I'm really interested in the 27.5 wheel.

I'm sure this has been posted a million times before so please don't tell me to search, but what are the things that you enjoy about this wheel size? What are your complaints? Be honest, I know there are pluses and minuses to all of our current size options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    One ride is worth a thousand posts. You need to try one. Read other threads similar to this one..you need to try one.
    lean forward

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Try a lot of everything. Wheel size is less important than appropriate geometry/fit for you/your terrain.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Finally tried a 29er...

Quote Originally Posted by 1niceride View Post
    One ride is worth a thousand posts. You need to try one. Read other threads similar to this one..you need to try one.
    Spot on... Which is why there are already ten thousand posts on this subject already. OP, do a quick search and you'll find plenty of threads on this debate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Not to be a dick, but you want all of us to repost our opinions to save you from a search?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Not to be a dick, buuuuut, No, I don't want everybody to post.... just the people that don't feel like it's that big of a deal to post their opinion. Maybe somebody didn't get a chance to post before and I'm just providing them the venue to voice their opinion without being hassled by the people that would complain about posting on an old thread. Idk, maybe I was just trying to get some recent thoughts on some of the new 27.5 frame sets from people that have similar riding styles as me. Either way, I didn't mean to put anyone out by asking a question.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbg33k View Post
    Not to be a dick, buuuuut, No, I don't want everybody to post.... just the people that don't feel like it's that big of a deal to post their opinion. Maybe somebody didn't get a chance to post before and I'm just providing them the venue to voice their opinion without being hassled by the people that would complain about posting on an old thread. Idk, maybe I was just trying to get some recent thoughts on some of the new 27.5 frame sets from people that have similar riding styles as me. Either way, I didn't mean to put anyone out by asking a question.

And maybe people are searching right now and would like to read those opinions instead of reading about people telling you to do a search--people like me. It's hard to find good info when this happens. It's kinda funny how people click on this knowing that they've answered it before elsewhere, not intending to answer it now, but instead just spend time telling you to search when they could take that time to answer your question instead. I mean, you did let everyone know that you know that this has been posted a million times before and not to tell you to do a search, but they did anyways. Not trying to hate on those guys, but I think those kind of answers really just perpetuate reposts because it's easier to find answers by posting new yourself, rather than going on a wild goose chase for threads with actual answers to the questions. ...Not that I answered your question. I'm looking at getting a 650b Trek Slash or Remedy when they come out so I can't comment on the ride yet. Anyways, let the fresh (and old) opinions flow! And so my watch begins...

mtbr member
    Thanks Blunt. Sometimes I have the time to blunder around the Internet to find answers other times I just want the answer to come to me. I can say I dip into the n00b section and answer the "how do you chose the right $500 bike....for the millionth time.

Aside from that. What is catching your interest on the 650b?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Blunt. Sometimes I have the time to blunder around the Internet to find answers other times I just want the answer to come to me. I can say I dip into the n00b section and answer the "how do you chose the right $500 bike....for the millionth time.

Aside from that. What is catching your interest on the 650b?
    No problem mtbg. It can be a pain trying to find good info, especially when a lot of the OPs are no longer relevant since we are living in the future. A lot of the 650b stuff I find is several years old, and is mostly just a bunch of people talking about how 650b will never catch on and how they know way more than the bike engineers of today hah.

Anyways, my interest in 650b is mostly coming from Trek only offering the Slash in 650b, and I've already pre-ordered it (Slash 8)--more on why later. I have faith that the engineers at Trek did away with 26" for a better reason than making money on the hype bandwagon. It seems like everyone that hates on 650b just thinks the bike companies that are making the switch don't care about making good bikes more than money, which I don't believe at all.

Anyways, I'm switching to 650b from a 29er hardtail because I want a more playful and agile ride, and 160mm of FS travel. As my riding has progressed, I'm finding the limits to what I can comfortably do on my 29er. Jumping can be pretty sketchy and I find myself going into survival mode on the more techy stuff. I want smaller wheels to be more aggressive on--and less "numb" to--the trail. I've heard all the stuff about the 29" wheels "adding an inch of travel" but I don't really buy that--it's apples and oranges to me. So I'd really prefer more travel and the 650b wheels can accommodate that while still retaining better rollover capabilities than 26er.

Overall, it really just comes down to the fun factor for me. I think the 650b will offer the most fun because of its ability to roll faster and easier than a 26er, and its ability to jump, drift, and handle techy/tight sections better than a 29er. I have faith that 650b is the true "Goldilocks".

What's catching your interest?
    ...Is your profile pic Number 5? Number 5 alive! Short Circuit! Right?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Not to be a dick, but you want all of us to repost our opinions to save you from a search?
    Internet police, so just lock it all down , everything has already been asked and answered already, "There is nothing new under the sun", haven't you heard?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Internet police, so just lock it all down , everything has already been asked and answered already, "There is nothing new under the sun", haven't you heard?
    Actually just the opposite, lets start 500 more of the same thread so the information is even harder to find since its all spread out over 100s of threads, since most people aren't going to retype a nice long well thought response a hundred times.

If you been on other forums, it's the same there. No one wants a 100 'What is A?' threads, keep the info consolidated and it makes it easier for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    No problem mtbg. It can be a pain trying to find good info, especially when a lot of the OPs are no longer relevant since we are living in the future.
    How is opinions on what people like and don't like about the wheel size no longer relevant? I can understand if he asked about converting a bike or what the best 650B is right now, but he asked a very generic question. Just because more bikes are out won't change the basic question, so it's very valid to say try searching first.

Hell some of the older posts would be more useful since a lot of those are opinions after converting a bike, so they are direct comparisons of how the bike rode as a 26er vs the exact same bike as a 650B.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Try a lot of everything. Wheel size is less important than appropriate geometry/fit for you/your terrain.

-Walt
    A whole lot of this.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Reading this I thought I would chime in...I'm fresh off a 27.5 from a 29er

Let' start by saying I kind of a bike whore...

I've had 26ers, 29ers and now a 27.5.

The past few years I have been strictly a 29er fanboy. I normally keep a hardtail and full suspension in the stable (Niner Air RDO, Spez Epic, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Spez Stumperjumper EVO, Pivot Mach 429c) - you get the point.

My current stable has a Niner SIR9 single speed (which I still love but it serves a different purpose) and a NEW Turner Burner 27.5. I just purchased the Turner last week after demoing a Altitude 970 27.5 and the Burner.

The Burner is amazing. I feel like I ride faster and more controlled. The bike is easier to maneuver in the tight sections and climbs great. To compare, on a 29er I feel like it's harder to get "into" the corners, climbing is good but slow, downhills is stable but not as controlled.

I'm sold on the 27.5. I'm 5'10' and 160 on a good day. To me the 27.5" is a great wheel choice for me.

-Jay

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm an inch and a half slower when I ride my Kona explosif

My Brain Hurts!
    I think it's all just personal preference like boxers or briefs. Honestly I read a lot about 29ers and really thought I'd enjoy it. However after riding a few and even doing a bike shoot out with the same technical section and three different bike I can say there are some things I can understand that people enjoy. Although for me it was just too slow and the control sucked. Sweepers were fun and climbing actually wasn't as painful. But sweepers and climbing isn't why I mountain bike. I like the technical stuff. Fast or slow but I really like that feeling of I just rode that section that looks like it would suck to walk through.

I am a tall Clyde that prefers a smaller frame. I think it's from my BMX past. So after talking to a guy in the shop the other day that had a similar background and riding style I'm really interested in the 27.5 wheel.

I'm sure this has been posted a million times before so please don't tell me to search, but what are the things that you enjoy about this wheel size? What are your complaints? Be honest, I know there are pluses and minuses to all of our current size options.
    I have ridden one 27.5 so far. (Giant Talon 5) And that was very brief and just around the bike shop. Across grass, up and down curbs and down a gravel alley way....but not a real ride.

First off though, the bike was a medium sized frame. So the overwhelming impression I got was "this bike is too small for me". The second was that the bike was not set up for me. I know I'm a freakin Genius....read on...

Now what really struck me was the bike did not feel any different than any 26 I ever rode. Especially the Rainier I had a few years back that was too small for me. I seemed to feel the bike handled up and down the curbs and the bumpy grass side yard a little better, but it is truly hard to tell from one ride one one bike.

So here's the thing. The handling and feel of a 26 was there, in spades. The fact that the bike did not feel like it was from another plane of existence to me (like every 29'er has) is a huge plus!

I will definitely need to get one one on a trail to really see what I think. But my first impressions are good!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your input. I was trying to rent the new Santa Cruz Bronson up at Downieville last weekend and unfortunately waited to long to reserve it. I asked a few people in the shop and a couple that rented or bought one while I was there. The consensus was it is an amazing bike and the 27.5 wheel set is everything people have been saying. To put it short, some of the rolling benefits of the 29er but with the agility of a 26er.

dwt
    mtbr member

Finally tried a 29er...

To put it short, some of the rolling benefits of the 29er but with the agility of a 26er.
    In the interest of accuracy and honesty, more like SOME of the rolling benefits of 29" and SOME of the agility of 26". As the doubters and haters never get tired of pointing out (over and over and over again) though wheel is bigger than 26" and smaller than 29", it is NOT "exactly" half way in between the two. Closer to 26" than to 29", which is good for handling but not so good for roll. You clearly can NOT have ALL or even MOST of 26" handling with ALL or even MOST of 29" roll at the same time. You DO get a hybrid. Some of the characteristics of both. Some love the mix, some hate it. In the eye of the beholder. Isolating as much as possible all other variables, like geometry and suspension, people who LOVE 26" for the agility, find 27.5" too bulky. After all, as a matter of physical reality, it's a bigger, heavier, flexier bike even if not all that much bigger. People who LOVE 29" for the roll and don't mind the overall size and handling, find 27.5" small and unstable. Those who find Goldilocks in 27.5" tend to find 26" twitchy and hard to handle in gnarly technical terrain, and find 29" heavy and cumbersome overall. So for those riders, the slightly larger wheel rolls enough better than 26" to get through chunk without dabbing, and without the sluggish monster truck feel of a 29". Again, entirely subjective and personal.

I will echo Walt and the others who say you must demo and decide for yourself, before you buy. If you buy before you ride, you might have to force yourself to justify your purchase, even if you REALLY fall into the category of riders who feel it is the "worst of both worlds" rather than the "best".
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    From perusing around the 650b forums and using the search feature (see guys, I do use it!) I found out that my frame is one that people regularly convert to 650b as there is nothing needed more than the wheelset and you are good to go. I have most of what I need so it's just hoops and tires. Sounds like if I don't end up liking it on my bike it would be pretty easy to sell the wheelset. So at this point that's my short term goal until I can ride some of the new bikes.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    In the interest of accuracy and honesty, more like SOME of the rolling benefits of 29" and SOME of the agility of 26". As the doubters and haters never get tired of pointing out (over and over and over again) though wheel is bigger than 26" and smaller than 29", it is NOT "exactly" half way in between the two. Closer to 26" than to 29", which is good for handling but not so good for roll. You clearly can NOT have ALL or even MOST of 26" handling with ALL or even MOST of 29" roll at the same time. You DO get a hybrid. Some of the characteristics of both. Some love the mix, some hate it. In the eye of the beholder. Isolating as much as possible all other variables, like geometry and suspension, people who LOVE 26" for the agility, find 27.5" too bulky. After all, as a matter of physical reality, it's a bigger, heavier, flexier bike even if not all that much bigger. People who LOVE 29" for the roll and don't mind the overall size and handling, find 27.5" small and unstable. Those who find Goldilocks in 27.5" tend to find 26" twitchy and hard to handle in gnarly technical terrain, and find 29" heavy and cumbersome overall. So for those riders, the slightly larger wheel rolls enough better than 26" to get through chunk without dabbing, and without the sluggish monster truck feel of a 29". Again, entirely subjective and personal.

I will echo Walt and the others who say you must demo and decide for yourself, before you buy. If you buy before you ride, you might have to force yourself to justify your purchase, even if you REALLY fall into the category of riders who feel it is the "worst of both worlds" rather than the "best".
    So, with all that being said.......have you ridden your TB lately?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jay29er View Post
    Reading this I thought I would chime in...I'm fresh off a 27.5 from a 29er

Let' start by saying I kind of a bike whore...

I've had 26ers, 29ers and now a 27.5.

The past few years I have been strictly a 29er fanboy. I normally keep a hardtail and full suspension in the stable (Niner Air RDO, Spez Epic, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Spez Stumperjumper EVO, Pivot Mach 429c) - you get the point.

My current stable has a Niner SIR9 single speed (which I still love but it serves a different purpose) and a NEW Turner Burner 27.5. I just purchased the Turner last week after demoing a Altitude 970 27.5 and the Burner.

The Burner is amazing. I feel like I ride faster and more controlled. The bike is easier to maneuver in the tight sections and climbs great. To compare, on a 29er I feel like it's harder to get "into" the corners, climbing is good but slow, downhills is stable but not as controlled.

I'm sold on the 27.5. I'm 5'10' and 160 on a good day. To me the 27.5" is a great wheel choice for me.

-Jay
    After owning a 29er HT since end of winter, riding it exclusively, demoing 27.5, then taking my 26ers out again finall...those quotes sum up how I feel. What I noticed was how easy it was to flow the smaller wheeled bikes through the trail. Also I actually like how they ride and handle obstacles better.

The most impressive thing about the 2 650B bikes I demoed (Giant Anthem and Trance).... were that the wheels felt invisible instead of big ...and that is huge. I also love how stiff the 26 27.5 platform is. To me it felt more stable and safe...especially with the Trance's geo and suspension. I've also had the Stumpy FSR 29er out...to me that felt like a big slow couch. I enjoyed the S-works Stumpy HT though And I enjoy my Scott Scale 29er a lot too

29er has it's place, it's great for rolling out in the wide open and over stuff. However tearing up some singletrack for me feels better on either 26 or 27.5 to me.

I am without a doubt going to either 26 or 27.5 when I get a newer FS.