mtbr member

Finally Finished! Pimp build Nickel 650b content.

Here you go guys, I just finished putting it together about an hour ago, I still need to set sag and put a baseline tune on the suspension, adjust the rear der, and get the rear brake line trimmed. I started off with a "budget" build but ended up bedazzling the **** out of it, I'll likely upgrade the stem once I figure out if the 90mm works for me or not.

Got it on the LBS Park Tool scale, 26.08#!

-2012 Nickel frame with RL shock
    -2012 X-fusion Velvet with 15mm Syntace axle and tapered head
    -Cane Creek 40 series headset
    -Racing Ralph's on Stan's Flow EX with 3.30 hubs
    -2013 Easton EC70XC low rise in new all black finish, Ritchey Pro 4 Axis stem
    -2012 X9 rear shifter with ball bearings, 2012 X0 med cage, 2012 XG-1080 cassette
    -2013 Magura MTS brakes, new take offs from 2013 Epic, has MT4 levers and MT6 calipers, with 180/160 Storm SL rotors
    -2013 Phenom Expert on Ritchey WCS alloy seatpost with stock SC clamp
    -2013 Truvativ AKA crankset with Crank Bros Eggbeaters

Last edited by madsedan; 10-07-2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Update
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    It feels comparable in weight to the Camber I had before, I'm guessing around 25#, I'll get a lighter stem/seatpost clamp/MRP bling ring and some tweeking should knock another 1/2# off the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    It feels comparable in weight to the Camber I had before, I'm guessing around 25#, I'll get a lighter stem/seatpost clamp/MRP bling ring and some tweeking should knock another 1/2# off the bike.
    25lbs would be nice...My 26" Nickel weights in at about 34lbs.

How much travel ya runnin" with the 2012 X-fusion Velvet?

Does the AKA cranks have a removable spider?

mtbr member
    The aka crank has a removable spider, nice touch for the money.
    Currently the fork is set at 140, may dial it down to 130 after a couple shake down rides.

Dissolved member
    Nice build Madsedan, congrats! I love the color . Try to live with the Velvet as is for a while,I suspect you will like it at full 140mm.

Sup
    I was expecting crushed purple velure and gold plating
    Its a very nice bike don't get me wrong I just don't know if it is pimp
    enjoy your new ride

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Good point Joe, maybe I should have said "middle class suburbs pimp build"

Its been raining here for a few days so all the trails are closed so my suspension tuning tonight and tomorrow will involved steps/small drops on concrete, and a concreted rock garden at my local park lol.

I'm really stoked, I hope I like it as much as I think I will, my only issue might be that its a little too much travel for where I ride. I'm putting allot of faith in the ability of the Velvet to not punish me with too much travel.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How did the Racing Ralph's on Stan's Flow EX mount up? Did you have to stretch the bead to get them on, or did they just mount up with hand pressure?

mtbr member
    The tires went on easily, I used a pancake compressor I have in the garage, got it seated, then pulled apart a small section to put the stans in.

mtbr member
    Updated with better picture after I did some prelimiary fork/shock tuning.

Dissolved member
    Nice pic, it is kind of difficult not to make them look greasy. How she rides? Props for running it 1x10! :thubsup:

mtbr member
    So far the only seat time because of the rain has been the preliminary suspension set-up tuning last night. I go up and down some small sets of stairs, little drops, over rocks/roots in my local park to try and get the rebound where I like it but it feels so plush compared to the Camber. I've never had a bike with over 120mm of travel so thats what I'm feeling but I'm really psyched to get it on the trail this week.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    Awesome! Can't wait for it to dry out and hear how it rides on the dirt! Looks great, nice work with the build all around. Feel free to share your thoughts on the fork too - would love to read all about people's experience with the x-fusion. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Holy balls, 26.08# on my LBS scale!
    With a nicer stem, seatpost, the MRP bling ring installed, and a lighter seatpost clamp and it'll be in the high 25# range.

Dissolved member
    Holy smokes 26lbs I did not think that was possible! Well done madsedan. Will the bling ring / truvativ AKA play well with your chainguide? I am seriously considering going the bling ring way, too. It is such a nice, clean solution.

mtbr member
    Should be fine but I guess I'll find out. Honestly the fork ended up being heavier than I thought it would be, with a trimmed steertube it was almost exactly 4# with the Syntace axle in it. This is the nicest drive train I'd run on a bike yet though, go's to show, spend the money and save the grams

Uncle

bb height?

Hey, I estimate ~14" static BB height. Is this close?
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice build.

Very Clean.

Good Job!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Yeah, like 14-14 1/16.

mtbr member
    Looks awesome, Madsedan! Nice build! I love my Nickel, and may go 650b with it one of these days ...Coming back from 29er-land has been good and bad. I ride Tyler State Park frequently, and the 26 is quick and nimble, but it lacks the momentum I'd gotten so used to with the wagon wheels. Maybe this magical B is the way to go ...

mtbr member
    does the racing ralph clear ok in the rear??

im building almost the same bike