Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fezzari Timp Peak vs any other 27.5 FULL carbon bike?

Anyone own this bike?

Would love to hear some owner/rider feedback as this bike looks like a great deal...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but are there any other FULL carbon 27.5 rigs out there for less with same/better component spec?

For $5300 you get full XT drivetrain/brakes (XTR rr deralleur), dropper seatpost, Fox CTD Kashima shock/fork, and carbon wheels and lifetime warranty.

Everything else comparable I've seen is at least $8000+

Also, anyone want to change my mind on carbon? I broke a carbon seatpost and handlebar several years ago and swore never to use carbon again, but with everything carbon these days, it makes me wonder how much better the technology has gotten...
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    08 Specialized StumpJumper
    11 Giant Reign (converted to 27.5)
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    This bike is not even showing up on their web site yet, so I doubt if there are many of them out there at this point.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    None available until fall. I've been riding carbon mtn bikes for many years now and really like the stiffness.

Go Intense Carbine...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    There is no way in hell I would drop 5K+ on a Fezzari, I wouldn’t even drop $3k. They are reaching too high going to this price range, same goes for Diamondback and other second rate not to mention no-name bike manufacturers. With that much $ you are in boutique bike territory. Fezzari is out of their mind.

Perhaps the warranty is nice so is the spec. Not sure I would trust them with a lifetime warranty. Just my gut feeling I have no Fezzari experience to base it on. These online bike sellers need to offer a no brainer smoking deal for them to sell bikes. If this was 3K ok fine it’s worth the risk.

Maybe it’s a bit vain of me but for that kind of $ I would want a very nice brand name on my frame.

Take that in cash to your local Santa Cruz dealer and you will have a SPX Bronson Carbon with full XT and Kashima. Also an HDR with similar spec is probably within your reach.

perpetual pucker factor
    So I don't get something. You had a bad experience with carbon, but seem to be looking for a 'budget friendly' carbon bike. Really? Carbon frames are not created equal. Where do they get their carbon? Who designed their layups? How long will it last? That, to me is infinitely more important than an XTR rear derailleur and a set of carbon wheels.. The ability to make a light carbon frame that will last is not an easy (or cheap) task. Carbon bikes are not the place to look for bargain. Especially the wheels. Reynolds is a good company, but if they are offering carbon wheels at that price, they cut corners somewhere. There is no way they could have a viable business if they made them at the level of quality of companies like Enve or Easton. Don't worry about a FULL carbon bike. Get a good set of aluminum wheels with good hubs, and they will be far better (and safer) than those Fezzari wheels.

I'm sure the bike will hold up to general riding, but for me the largest problem lies in their designs. They use cheaper, knock off suspension designs from Chinese factories that simply don't perform as well as other designs. Yes they are cheaper than many carbon bikes, but they will ride that way as well. I don't mean to hate on them, but I really did not like the feel of their linkage. Not one bit.

If you are going to drop 5k on a bike, save up 800 to 1k more, and get a carbon Bronson with excellent components, better strength, more rigidity, and most importantly, a better performing suspension design.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think AMjunky is right on the money or unless you plan on keeping the bike for a loooooong time. Try to resell that thing after a year or 3 and you'll take HUGE beating. I learned this the hard way with a beautiful top of the line 2011 Jamis Dakar 650 B2 with XO everything. Even in absolute mint condition and less than 500 miles it fetched about 1/2 of original MSRP which was 5K. Luckily I only paid 3K for the bike to begin with and it was very hard to resell. Jamis IMO has a better name than Fezzari and you would assume better resale but my experience would make me think twice about getting another one unless I got another truly smoking deal. Even with that component spec I'd have a hard time sleeping at night spending 5K+ on a Fezzari.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Fezzari Timp Peak vs any other 27.5 FULL carbon bike?

I don't have any personal experience with Fezzari nor any friends that I could fall back on...

Interesting how there arent any Fezzari fan boys chiming in.

$6000 is out of my budget. I'm currently running Flow EX 27.5 wheels so I'll stick with them.

Thanks for the input. Always interesting to hear other's thoughts.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I will have to disagree with you on paying more to get a bike just with a "nice" brand on frame. Not sure what you have against Diamondback but as far as I know they have been in the biking business far longer then many other brands and if they are still in the business must be for a reason. I own a Diamondback Sortie 29er Black. Have had it since the first year they made it, two years ago. In two years I haven't had a single problem with the bike, not one. I just keep it well maintained and has perform beautifully. So personally, I would rather get a "low grade" brand and save a few thousand bucks, if I know I get the components that are top notch to back it up. In my case, I pay a really good price for this amazing bike... so even if the frame broke in half for whatever reason, I still got my money's worth on the components themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    There is no way in hell I would drop 5K+ on a Fezzari, I wouldn’t even drop $3k. They are reaching too high going to this price range, same goes for Diamondback and other second rate not to mention no-name bike manufacturers. With that much $ you are in boutique bike territory. Fezzari is out of their mind.

Perhaps the warranty is nice so is the spec. Not sure I would trust them with a lifetime warranty. Just my gut feeling I have no Fezzari experience to base it on. These online bike sellers need to offer a no brainer smoking deal for them to sell bikes. If this was 3K ok fine it’s worth the risk.

Maybe it’s a bit vain of me but for that kind of $ I would want a very nice brand name on my frame.

Take that in cash to your local Santa Cruz dealer and you will have a SPX Bronson Carbon with full XT and Kashima. Also an HDR with similar spec is probably within your reach.

mtbr member
    Fezarri is a new company with no carbon bikes in the field yet. They are in Salt Lake.

Remember that most small-ish companies (no Giant, Trek, Spec'd) are using what are called 'catalogue bikes.' Taiwanese and Chinese companies make bikes that companies can put their name on. Maybe they want something lighter, different head-tube, whatever, but there are a limited number of carbon builders out there. I have seen 'spy shots' that product managers took of major-brand bikes hanging in the background of a Chinese factory, behind a Masi, for example.

I'd bet you are more likely to get a good product out of a no-name or Fezarri bike than you would out of a no-name aluminum or steel bike. Carbon is labor-intensive but it's not materially expensive. The molds cost a lot too.

You want a rad bike for a sweet deal. Nothing wrong with that. It seems like nobody pays full price anymore. I think you can get something pretty rad and carbon from your LBS for $3.5k. There's a lot of support required for full-squish bikes so you'll appreciate having your LBS back you up when you need warranty work or suspension service. Or pivots. Or bearings. Or a new chainstay.

Or whatever. I bet Fezzari is out in Vegas at ODD so you'll see pics and write-ups from people riding them there. They were at Dealer Camp in SLC too.

And check out the Giant 275 bikes. Pretty damn good stuff with solid warranty and support. And Jamis too. And you may be able to find a Intense Carbine 275 used somewhere.

Let us know what you end up doing.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm not sure why people are hatin on this brand. I'm have been looking at these guys for a while and seriously thinking about buying the Timp Peak. I can't find a new bike that even comes close with this build. Maybe a used bike but that's what you get is a used bike. Just like buying a used car or a new car. Sure you have to pay the new bike price but it seams like you get a lot of bike with this one. I would just like to hear from someone about how it climbs, how the suspension design works under braking and while pedaling. I'm saving up my money for a carbon AM with at least a XT build and Fox Kashima shocks. If anyone has something else under $5k to look at let me know. Otherwise, these guys are at the top of my list so far. Just waiting for a rich person to donate some money so I can apply the funds to my recreation account. I volunteer for a community outreach program and I take people out for bike rides so I need a good bike for exploring new trails and getting to places many people don't yet know about. Hope to find a bike that doesn't cost a small fortune and still has an excellent build. This might be it.
    Narrow and rugged is the path that leads to life and few find it.

mtbr member
    I went to their office over thanksgiving while in UT visiting family. The person I talked with was GREAT. I agree with some of the statements regarding re-sale. It's not real well known for a brand, but everyone has to start somewhere, and they seemed like great people who love bikes and riding.

I bought a used Fezarri Alta Peak (2010) with XT components and it was head and shoulders above my Cannondale on my last ride. For $600 used I feel like I stole the bike. It ride great, the components are top notch and as of now I have no complaints.

I hear they are selling the Timp Peak as a frame/shock for just shy of $2,000. I have been buying 650 pieces and would gladly consider this along with the other pieces I've been drooling over.

mtbr member
    I find it funny all the people hating on this brand. All the talk about the bike "failing" or "not taking a chance with a cheap carbon frame." LOL, LMAO.

Are you guys serious? None of you are traveling 30 m.p.h. where a catastrophic failure would occur and you could die. Get over yourselves. Please show me pictures of any carbon frame breaking in half. Don't any of you ever fall?

So a chain stay snaps on a landing. Is it death? Cheap carbon or Chinese frames have plenty of buyers and I haven't seen or heard of any failing and causing death. You are more likely to run into a bear or get hit by a car riding your bike than something happening to a "cheap" carbon frame.

I say go for it if it is in your budget and has a nice component spec. Resale might be hard as mentioned by others, but then just ride it for a long time.

Also, any of you that pan about supporting your LBS and not buying a bike through a online vendor - get with the times. I'm sure all of you buy your clothes at a brick and mortar store too and don't shop Amazon. Please.

One more thing. Anyone of you here a carbon expert? You wouldn't know a cheap frame from an expensive one.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b Belt Drive

mtbr member
    I am hatin because of the crack smoking high prices of a no name bike brand, in my opinion its just sound buying logic to avoid Fezarri at these high prices. Where does Fezzari get off charging these kind of prices? Why would someone buy one of those wannabe Benz Hyundais for nearly as much or just as much $ as a real Mercedes Benz?

That’s essentially what this boils down to… Timp Peak vs Bronson or HDR. Sure you get the carbon Reynolds wheels with the Timp, but still I would never buy a fezarri at those hyper bike prices. Like it or not the bike market is just like any other market, it is a name game, if you have “THE” brand name then and only then can you charge the big bucks and actually get it.

Also just took a look at the “XTR” spec, the only XTR component on there is a rear derailleur, huh? And then there is a $6.5K XX1 version of the Timp, at this point I am just laughing out loud. If anyone has forked over the 5k+ for a Fezarri please explain your logic…

I actually like hunting for the best deal and purchase online whenever it is beneficial for me. However, when dropping a few grand it is nice to have some LBS support. I might be repeating myself but it would have to be a smoking hot deal, a real no-brainer for me to go with a Fezarri. So a 5k bike for 3k… yeah, ok maybe I’ll bite.

While I’m at it, here is another thing that bugs me about Fezzari… the name. I collect vintage Italian road bikes and this is just a sorry attempt to sound like an Italian bike brand. They took Ferrari, replaced the double r with a double z. Brilliant! Surely no one is going to catch on to that, real slick! Honestly I see Fezzari on the same level as Stradalli bikes. You know the ones with all the big tittied ****s and jacked guido goomba posers modeling their logo infested Chinese rebranded bikes. As someone who appreciates the real deal Italiano these cheap rip-off artists make me sick. Not only do they shamelessly position themselves as “Italian” bike manufacturers they have the nerve to charge an arm and a leg for their bikes. What a joke! Come to think of it I can’t recall one real Italian bike manufacturer who has really made it in the mtb world. They have a presence in the road market not the mtb market.

There is a place for obvious “cheap” Chinese products in the bike industry and that is straight from the Chinese manufacturers for an actual bargain price. Case and point Light Bicycle, why would I buy a LB wheelset from a US reseller for the same price (or damn close to) as an Enve wheelset when I could get it for 60% less directly from the Chinese manufacturer? I wouldn’t.

Honestly the Timp peak looks good, just not hyper bike price good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i think the new fezzaris look pretty sweet - not sure about the value prop on the carbon timp - but their alum versions look like a pretty good value indeed. Agree that if resale is a concern - likely not your brand today...

now - chinese carbon frames - even the big boys and boutiques (most, not all) are getting their carbon frames and bits sourced and produced in China - are some brands demanding more from their engineering and quality? possibly, but i think it's becoming obvious from the sheer fact that most every know brand has a carbon build starting around $4k - proves that cost of materials and production have come way down - quality is up - and anyone can offer a decent carbon framed bike made by one of the 3 or 4 major factories that produce them all... seems carbon is the new aluminum in bike manufacturing and its only a matter of time before any and every brand that wants to -can throw their sticker on a frame coming from the east - what will continue to differentiate will be those that chose better design and engineering, material grades (however this is a narrowing gap), and warranty...

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I rode an older fezzari. 26 inch alum. with 160mm travel and full xt kit. that bike takes idiotic amounts of abuse. good geometry. fast/stable at speed. After that experiance i could be willing to buy a full carbon bike from them.

BUT you could also get a yeti sb-66 carbon. full xt. on dt wheels (some may say this is a setback some say good). for the same exact price. 3 LBS in CO carry them at 5299. Yeti has a more well known and good track record.

SO there are options for carbon bikes in this price range aside from the timp peak. keep that in mind

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree. The upside is the price, the downside is no relationship with a local shop to hook me up with swag, maintenance issues and the relationship to the brands. I feel like if I ride one of these the local crew will snicker and laugh at me. However I'm not to proud and I don't care what the people say. If I can get a good deal on a carbon frame and a great build, I will be the last one laughing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Re: Fezzari Timp Peak vs any other 27.5 FULL carbon bike?

As always there are mixed feelings about this brand. I could care less what others think bc $5K is nothing to snicker at. I was just curious about the Fezzari reputation for support in the event something went wrong w the carbon frame. As someone mentioned earlier, their aluminum frames are just as good as any. Their component spec tends to lean on the generous side which is very commendable bc we all know how these big players like to nickel/dime you for upper level components...

I understand the resale issue but, I think it would hold me over for a few years.

While most of us can appreciate the Yeti brand, their 2 year warranty is hardly something to smile about, especially on a carbon frame. This is the only thing that prevents me from seriously considering a mid level Yeti SB 75.

There's no denying that this is a pretty damn good deal and at $5K it's enticing...

Would love to hear someone who has saddle time on this bike soon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    02 Giant NRS
    05 Giant VT
    14 Giant Trance 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I agree I would like to hear from someone who has some real trail time on one of these bikes. It is very enticing and I have seriously been looking at these bikes. I'm still leaning towards the 29ers for the type of riding I do. I like their carbon 29er hard tails so If I had my way I'd buy one of each cuz I want that darn Timp Peak too.

jk
    mtbr member

Who's smokin crack?

I do agree that Fezzari is a bit misleading with the 'XTR' being only a rear der., but looking online I can find the Santa Cruz 5010 with ENVEs and XX1 for 9,796

Santa Cruz Bicycles 5010 Carbon XX1 Enve Complete Bike | Backcountry.com

and the Fezzari for 6,500 (sorry, no ENVEs, but Reynolds instead). Is it a Santa Cruz? No, but I have ridden a 5010 and wasnt all that impressed. So to save about 3,000 just because of the name...sounds like a decent deal to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    I am hatin because of the crack smoking high prices of a no name bike brand, in my opinion its just sound buying logic to avoid Fezarri at these high prices. Where does Fezzari get off charging these kind of prices? Why would someone buy one of those wannabe Benz Hyundais for nearly as much or just as much $ as a real Mercedes Benz?

That’s essentially what this boils down to… Timp Peak vs Bronson or HDR. Sure you get the carbon Reynolds wheels with the Timp, but still I would never buy a fezarri at those hyper bike prices. Like it or not the bike market is just like any other market, it is a name game, if you have “THE” brand name then and only then can you charge the big bucks and actually get it.

Also just took a look at the “XTR” spec, the only XTR component on there is a rear derailleur, huh? And then there is a $6.5K XX1 version of the Timp, at this point I am just laughing out loud. If anyone has forked over the 5k+ for a Fezarri please explain your logic…

I actually like hunting for the best deal and purchase online whenever it is beneficial for me. However, when dropping a few grand it is nice to have some LBS support. I might be repeating myself but it would have to be a smoking hot deal, a real no-brainer for me to go with a Fezarri. So a 5k bike for 3k… yeah, ok maybe I’ll bite.

While I’m at it, here is another thing that bugs me about Fezzari… the name. I collect vintage Italian road bikes and this is just a sorry attempt to sound like an Italian bike brand. They took Ferrari, replaced the double r with a double z. Brilliant! Surely no one is going to catch on to that, real slick! Honestly I see Fezzari on the same level as Stradalli bikes. You know the ones with all the big tittied ****s and jacked guido goomba posers modeling their logo infested Chinese rebranded bikes. As someone who appreciates the real deal Italiano these cheap rip-off artists make me sick. Not only do they shamelessly position themselves as “Italian” bike manufacturers they have the nerve to charge an arm and a leg for their bikes. What a joke! Come to think of it I can’t recall one real Italian bike manufacturer who has really made it in the mtb world. They have a presence in the road market not the mtb market.

There is a place for obvious “cheap” Chinese products in the bike industry and that is straight from the Chinese manufacturers for an actual bargain price. Case and point Light Bicycle, why would I buy a LB wheelset from a US reseller for the same price (or damn close to) as an Enve wheelset when I could get it for 60% less directly from the Chinese manufacturer? I wouldn’t.

Honestly the Timp peak looks good, just not hyper bike price good.

BuckyFullerFan
    Mar 2011

How bout build your own with this newest generic frame

Just slap a fezzari decal on the newest generic Ip -o88 27.5 frame and save yourself some more bucks to put towards other parts.

Fezzari Timp Peak vs any other 27.5 FULL carbon bike?-new-generic-frame.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post
    I find it funny all the people hating on this brand. All the talk about the bike "failing" or "not taking a chance with a cheap carbon frame." LOL, LMAO.

Are you guys serious? None of you are traveling 30 m.p.h. where a catastrophic failure would occur and you could die. Get over yourselves. Please show me pictures of any carbon frame breaking in half. Don't any of you ever fall?

So a chain stay snaps on a landing. Is it death? Cheap carbon or Chinese frames have plenty of buyers and I haven't seen or heard of any failing and causing death. You are more likely to run into a bear or get hit by a car riding your bike than something happening to a "cheap" carbon frame.

I say go for it if it is in your budget and has a nice component spec. Resale might be hard as mentioned by others, but then just ride it for a long time.

Also, any of you that pan about supporting your LBS and not buying a bike through a online vendor - get with the times. I'm sure all of you buy your clothes at a brick and mortar store too and don't shop Amazon. Please.

One more thing. Anyone of you here a carbon expert? You wouldn't know a cheap frame from an expensive one.
    You mountain bike and think you need to be going 30mph plus to have a life changing accident?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jk View Post
    I do agree that Fezzari is a bit misleading with the 'XTR' being only a rear der., but looking online I can find the Santa Cruz 5010 with ENVEs and XX1 for 9,796

Santa Cruz Bicycles 5010 Carbon XX1 Enve Complete Bike | Backcountry.com

and the Fezzari for 6,500 (sorry, no ENVEs, but Reynolds instead). Is it a Santa Cruz? No, but I have ridden a 5010 and wasnt all that impressed. So to save about 3,000 just because of the name...sounds like a decent deal to me.
    At least compare similar bikes, Bronson SPX- All XT plus Envy wheels is $7600 if you pay MRSP
    So $1100 more to get Envy instead of Reynolds, I'd say that makes them pretty much the same.
    Last edited by TwoTone; 01-08-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looking forward to the full review on this bike from MTBR. To me, I don't see how you could call this bike (the XTR or XX1 version) a bad deal. The wheels retail for 2k, group set for 2k, fork for 1k, add a dropper post, seat, stem, and carbon bars and you essentially get a free frame (using retail prices, of course).

I've been looking, for about a year, at 27.5 bikes and these top two Fezzari models are definitely on the top of my list with the 5010/Bronson, Mojo HD, and Carbine 275. Those are all bad a$$ bikes for sure, but you won't get the XX1 group set and carbon wheels for less than 8k elsewhere. Now carbon wheels and XX1 aren't the be all end all, but they sure are tempting!

Maybe worst case, buy the Fezzari, ride it for a bit, then get a frame set of whichever bike brand you want, strip the parts from the Fezzari, and sell the frame for whatever you can get? Who knows though, maybe the Fezzari (weird name and all) is really a great riding bike? Would LOVE to hear from someone who's ridden them all...c'mon MTBR, post some more impressions!
    Last edited by jeffrey j; 01-10-2014 at 03:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Here are a couple of links to reviews:

MTBR:

First Look: Fezzari Timp Peak 27.5 Rallies with Carbon, Custom Build and Value | Mountain Bike Review

Switchback Magazine:

Fezzari Timp Peak Review, Switchback Magazine

I have never ridden a Fezzari bike myself, but I do plan to buy one later this year. I have owned and ridden a lot of bikes in my lifetime. Some were custom builds, some from LBS, some I purchased online, and some I bought used.

I have found Fezzari to be extremely helpful and responsive to my questions thus far. They do a 21 point bike fit, as they ask for measurements and about your riding style, and will swap out stems, seatpost, and bars at no cost to help you get the best fit.

The bike I am looking at (Alta Peak) sells for about 2k, and the components look pretty good for that price. They have already quoted me prices on gripshift and a wheel upgrade which beat anything I can do locally. They are willing to do so many component swaps and upgrades that this actually will be a custom build.

I have spent a lot of time looking at bikes lately, and they seem to be offering the best bang for my buck.
    Last edited by Centurion_; 01-10-2014 at 09:40 AM. Reason: To add links

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    One thing I will say about Fezzari, I don't like the misleading names.
    They name the bike based on the RD, not the majority of the drivetrain.
    So the ______ XTR is all XT with XTR RD, the _______XT is all SLX with XT RD. Just a shady way to name your bikes.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast