Fattest 650b tire?

Printable View

  • 12-15-2012
    Miker J
    Fattest 650b tire?
    I'm running a 2.35" Nevegal right now, which I like, but have the room and desire to go fatter and taller.

    Any other options?

    I'm thinking about the Hans Dampf, but not sure if that is any bigger.
  • 12-15-2012
    DYI01
    The 2.35 Hans Dampf is probably the biggest 650b tire out right now. I think someone measured it to be almost 27.75"
  • 12-15-2012
    myitch
    The HD is super sweet. Large volume, squishy soft nobs, awesome traction. No wonder many stores sell out of them, even at the $90 price. If you like loads of squishy traction, you won't be disappointed!
  • 12-15-2012
    yetimeister514
    believe the 2.35 NN is the tallest at 27-13/16 (27.87 in.) but the HD may be the widest available until we see the 2.4 Pacenti Mega-motos.
  • 12-15-2012
    Miker J
    So, no doubt the HD is an awesome tire, but I'd still like some numbers on how wide and tall the beast is.

    Anyone care to take a ruler to the top of a knob from the ground up, and take the calipers to the widest part (be it casing or side knob)?

    As for the NN, this tire is on a heavy duty trail/AM bike, with wide rims, and tires are run at low pressure. I need something with more meat to prevent squirm.

    Actually, the Nev does a great job, tubeless and all, at an amazing price (sounds like a comercial, I know). But again, still looking for a step up in size and burliness.

    Thanks.
  • 12-18-2012
    cptjack
    Cutting transition knobs
    Cuting the transition knobs on the nevegals (front only) is a real eye opener......
  • 12-18-2012
    Miker J
    Front...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by cptjack View Post
    Cuting the transition knobs on the nevegals (front only) is a real eye opener......


    I run the 29" Nev up front and really like it. No complaints at all. Might think about it though as I've done this with other tires in the past.
  • 12-18-2012
    Kili@n
    HD 2,35" (61mm wide, diameter around 710mm) - on a ZTR Flow
  • 12-18-2012
    skidad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kili@n View Post
    HD 2,35" (61mm wide, diameter around 710mm) - on a ZTR Flow

    That sounds to tall for the HD from other posts I've seen measuring it more in the 704/5 range. Would be nice if it's really that tall which is right at the NN height of 27.875" or 708mm (I just measured yet again).

    The NN is advertised as a 2.35" but measures 2.3" just like a Neo Moto.

    Bigger meats are on the way but apparently the re-design and production of the Mega Moto 2.4" is moving to slow for Kirk's pleasure.
  • 12-18-2012
    jabrabu
    Anyone know the diameter of the Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.25?
  • 12-18-2012
    GChambers
    How is the rolling resistance on the HD and Nobby Nic compared to the Nevegal?. Obviously they are going to roll better but by how much?
  • 12-18-2012
    Miker J
    Close...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Kili@n View Post
    HD 2,35" (61mm wide, diameter around 710mm) - on a ZTR Flow

    Just measured the Nev 2.35 and it comes in extremely close to those measurements. Maybe a mm or two less on both height and width at most. That is to the side and top of the knobs.

    That is on a Flow EX.

    The side tread on the Nev protrudes significantly farther out than the sidewall. A good thing I'd say.

    I doubt I'd get much more volume out of the HD. Still might give it a shot if I find a good deal on one. But, for the price the Nev is hard to beat if grip is what you need most.
  • 12-18-2012
    JMac47
    Quick thread related hyjack
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    How is the rolling resistance on the HD and Nobby Nic compared to the Nevegal?. Obviously they are going to roll better but by how much?

    GC what mtb tires did you run in the back of the Reken before you urbanized it?

    Thanks in advance
  • 12-18-2012
    GChambers
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    GC what mtb tires did you run in the back of the Reken before you urbanized it?

    Thanks in advance

    It's been an urban bike since I built it. It has a 1.5in Continental Tour Ride on it now. I'd guess there might be enough room for the Racing Ralph. When I get a chance I'll see if it fits.
  • 12-18-2012
    skidad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    How is the rolling resistance on the HD and Nobby Nic compared to the Nevegal?. Obviously they are going to roll better but by how much?

    Never run the Nevegal before but I feel the NN rolls better than a 2.3 Neo Moto which from all reports rolls a good bit better than a Nevegal. Hows that for scientific :eek: I'm very happy with the NN so far. Just gotta set it up tubless now.
  • 12-19-2012
    loamranger
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Never run the Nevegal before but I feel the NN rolls better than a 2.3 Neo Moto which from all reports rolls a good bit better than a Nevegal. Hows that for scientific :eek: I'm very happy with the NN so far. Just gotta set it up tubless now.

    The HD rolls well, also. I can confirm it measures 705mm dia.
  • 12-19-2012
    DeeEight
    One thing to remember comparing Kenda to Schwalbe is the majority of Schwable's tires are casing wide / tread narrow where Kenda is the other way around. Nevagals may compare in terms of overall width to the biggest Schwalbes but they're doing it with fat poor rolling tread. Myself, I'd rather have the extra air volume and faster rolling / smaller knobs of the schwalbe. The only Kenda tires of note that are measured casing width without over hanging tread are the Karma and Slant Six.
  • 12-19-2012
    LyN
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    I doubt I'd get much more volume out of the HD. Still might give it a shot if I find a good deal on one. But, for the price the Nev is hard to beat if grip is what you need most.

    I have used the Nevegal for some time and moved to the 2.35 HD recently. Although the tires are not that different in size (the HD is about 2mm wider) the behaviour is night and day. The Nevegal is not too bad in dry conditions, but it wipes out on loose terrain and does not give confidence on the wet, specially while on the brakes.

    The HD is one of the grippiest tires I have ridden (my background is on High Rollers, Minions, Bontrager XR4, Stick-E Nevegals, etc.). Good in the dry, incredible in the wet, never wipes, amazing braking...
  • 12-19-2012
    Miker J
    Thanks to all...
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by LyN View Post
    I have used the Nevegal for some time and moved to the 2.35 HD recently. Although the tires are not that different in size (the HD is about 2mm wider) the behaviour is night and day. The Nevegal is not too bad in dry conditions, but it wipes out on loose terrain and does not give confidence on the wet, specially while on the brakes.

    The HD is one of the grippiest tires I have ridden (my background is on High Rollers, Minions, Bontrager XR4, Stick-E Nevegals, etc.). Good in the dry, incredible in the wet, never wipes, amazing braking...

    No doubt the HD is a higher quality tire.

    I'm running the tire, rear, on a Flow EX, and like the "big rubber" feel you get on a DH tire with low air pressure and good sidewalls. While I know there is not a lot of love out there for the Nevegal it seems to give a great "cushion" feel without feeling flimsy in the sidewall even at very low pressure. Can I suspect at least the same out of the HD, if you follow my very subjective descriptions?

    The HD weighs in somewhat heavier, and is almost definitely a higher quality tire and as long as it is at least the same size I'm interested in giving it a shot.

    Pace or Trail version?

    Where to buy online?

    Thanks.
  • 12-19-2012
    Ridezum
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Never run the Nevegal before but I feel the NN rolls better than a 2.3 Neo Moto which from all reports rolls a good bit better than a Nevegal. Hows that for scientific :eek: I'm very happy with the NN so far. Just gotta set it up tubless now.

    Will you be mounting th NN"S on your A C BXC wheels? Interested very much, will be waiting for your report.
  • 12-19-2012
    JMac47
    Hmmm
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by GChambers View Post
    It's been an urban bike since I built it. It has a 1.5in Continental Tour Ride on it now. I'd guess there might be enough room for the Racing Ralph. When I get a chance I'll see if it fits.

    Thanks. Must have been thinking of someone elses build.:skep: I'll soon find out what works best as I'm going to order frame in next couple days along with an IRD Fire XC and a set of CrossMarks. Plus I can try my Quasi, 2.1 Neo and Nevegal. Doubt the Wolverine will fit.
  • 12-19-2012
    skidad
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Ridezum View Post
    Will you be mounting th NN"S on your A C BXC wheels? Interested very much, will be waiting for your report.

    Nope, those have been put aside with the stock 2.2 Wolverine's. I've got the NN mounted on a Flow in the back and a TL28 in the front. Have about 50 miles on the tires and the shock on the Jamis puked oil all over itself (besides not getting full travel). Rock Shox replaced the shock under warranty, upgraded it to a RT3 and gave me the tune I wanted and I just got it back today. I guess there is a god after all. Anyway the tires are really nice, roll great, grip rocks good and seem to get decent traction even though I've got em at 30psi and they get bouncy like that. I've need to set em up tubeless and drop the pressure and they'll be better. I'm gonna run them awhile but I'm thinking a HD on the front and a NN on the back might be an awesome combo to try.
  • 12-19-2012
    sadman
  • 12-20-2012
    LyN
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    No doubt the HD is a higher quality tire.

    I'm running the tire, rear, on a Flow EX, and like the "big rubber" feel you get on a DH tire with low air pressure and good sidewalls. While I know there is not a lot of love out there for the Nevegal it seems to give a great "cushion" feel without feeling flimsy in the sidewall even at very low pressure. Can I suspect at least the same out of the HD, if you follow my very subjective descriptions?

    The HD weighs in somewhat heavier, and is almost definitely a higher quality tire and as long as it is at least the same size I'm interested in giving it a shot.

    Pace or Trail version?

    Where to buy online?

    Thanks.

    I am using the HD at the front, so I do not have a precise feelibg of the cushioning of the tire, although I would say itnis very similar to the Nevegal.

    I am using the Trailstar compound which I would say feels grippier that Kenda's Stick-E. I bought the tire out of ebay because it was the first place where it was available, but now I would buy it from oje of the German shops that retail it for 36,90€, like bike-discount.de.
  • 12-21-2012
    fxdeals
    Check this baby out Vee Rubber Trail Taker 650Bx2.4

    it's BIG! and it's out on ebay