Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    High volume + low pressure really does remind you that you don't need big nobs to get traction, just a lot of contact. Agree stans are too flimsy for anyone besides an 150lb xc racer. For 26", You might want to check out the mid-knobbed conti X-king....very fast, very light, and sturdy with the protection casing....one that I am hoping to see in 650b. Have you tried neo-moto's for 650b? Not super huge but not tiny either....very fast and good sidewalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer650 View Post
    It only lasted two years because I go back and forth between bikes. It probably should of exploded but for whatever reason it held tight.

I always wanted to try that stans crow tire out. After riding the nevagals with only side nobs left I can see how a basically bald tire can still work well on a mtb. Too bad there is no 650B yet and they always seemed way to flimsy for my fat ass.

Regarding wobbly rubber lays. I have mounted many Conti Trail Kings in the 26x2.4 Black Chili tubeless version. They pretty much all have a slightly uneven lay. My friends that run them don't mind. Their actually not to much smaller then a 650B Racing Ralph when mounted. I would also love to try that tire in a 650B. Might be good for a DH bike.
    Looking for/WTB : Grove Innovations Assault Fork, Grove Innovation Hammerhead Stem or Hothead Bar Stem

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Funny you mention the X-king I just mounted one of them this afternoon. Nice looking tire. I know conti is supposed to be backing the 650B thing with Black Chili/Protection german made tires in 2.2 and 2.4. I just haven't seen or heard of them for sale yet. will certainly try some 2.4's after the Dampf are burned up.

I rode some original Neo's on Velocity blunt Rims way back when Pacenti first started to bring 650B back to life. I wasn't specifically blown away by the tire at the time. I was however blown away by the wheel size. Rode two of the same bikes back to back. One with it's stock 26" Wheels and an Identical bike with the 650 mounted. It was like a whole new bike with the 650b wheels. I was very surprised how such a small difference made such a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    High volume + low pressure really does remind you that you don't need big nobs to get traction, just a lot of contact. Agree stans are too flimsy for anyone besides an 150lb xc racer. For 26", You might want to check out the mid-knobbed conti X-king....very fast, very light, and sturdy with the protection casing....one that I am hoping to see in 650b. Have you tried neo-moto's for 650b? Not super huge but not tiny either....very fast and good sidewalls.

Dissolved member
    The Trail Taker is my new go to front tire. On a P35 rim, the tire is meaty and chunky yet still pretty lightweight. I like is so much, I am getting me a 2013 Vengeance HLR Air to be able to ride it on my Mojo HD since the TT is way too big to fit in a Lyrik.

On a different note, anyone else impatiently waiting for Kenda Honey Badger?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Trail Taker compared with Nobby Nic on Fox Float 80 RL

I had a fellow 650B Rider ask me to take some pics of tires and clearance so figured I would share them.

inflated with tube at 40psi

Fattest 650b tire?-dsc00979.jpgFattest 650b tire?-dsc00980.jpgFattest 650b tire?-dsc00981.jpgFattest 650b tire?-dsc00982.jpg
    http://www.my650b.com/ 650B Tires and Rims

mtbr member

Fattest 650b tire?

Looks pretty close to the 2.35 NN
    Fattest 650b tire?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1361846485.819750.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    It's close but the Trail taker is little bigger... the first pic is the 2.35 NN

mtbr member

Fattest 650b tire?

How does the sidewall compare as far as durability?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged for future ref
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    The Trail Taker is my new go to front tire. On a P35 rim, the tire is meaty and chunky yet still pretty lightweight. I like is so much, I am getting me a 2013 Vengeance HLR Air to be able to ride it on my Mojo HD since the TT is way too big to fit in a Lyrik.

On a different note, anyone else impatiently waiting for Kenda Honey Badger?
    StiHacka, good to see you back! What do you think, TT front and NN rear (since I already have 2 NN tires). Not sure I trust the NN here on the front so the TT or a HD might be the way to go.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    StiHacka, good to see you back! What do you think, TT front and NN rear (since I already have 2 NN tires). Not sure I trust the NN here on the front so the TT or a HD might be the way to go.
    Hi Skidad, I only dropped in to vouch for the TT since I think that tire is a winner. I plan to ride the TT/NN2.25 combo for a while. When I'll have some mileage done on dirt and not just on snow, I will post my thoughts at the site where kitties rule.

Cheers,
    S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Vee Rubber Trail Taker has a better sidewall -

Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post
    How does the sidewall compare as far as durability?
    Vee Rubber Trail Taker has a better sidewall -

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm glad I read this thread...and can't wait to get my Vee Rubber tires. I'm building up 2
    "Rekenstein" rigid bikes...one for me and one for wifey.I hope I don't mess up with the rear 650b tire on the Reken frame though...i'm thinking Trail Taker up front/Mission out
    back...running on some Sun Inferno27s tubeless with Shimano 529 hubs and Sapim DB
    spokes.
    ...sound good?
    It's the best budget combo I could come up with. Hope it all works out.
    Z
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    I'm glad I read this thread...and can't wait to get my Vee Rubber tires. I'm building up 2
    "Rekenstein" rigid bikes...one for me and one for wifey.I hope I don't mess up with the rear 650b tire on the Reken frame though...i'm thinking Trail Taker up front/Mission out
    back...running on some Sun Inferno27s tubeless with Shimano 529 hubs and Sapim DB
    spokes.
    ...sound good?
    It's the best budget combo I could come up with. Hope it all works out.
    Z
    ...So now I got 2 Vee Rubber Trail Taker tires for the front of me and wifey's "Rekensteins".
    I was looking at the V-Rub Missions for the rear...pretty sure the TT's are too big to fit the frame.
    ...Can anyone recommend a good rear tire for this build?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member

Fattest 650b tire?

...So now I got 2 Vee Rubber Trail Taker tires for the front of me and wifey's "Rekensteins".
    I was looking at the V-Rub Missions for the rear...pretty sure the TT's are too big to fit the frame.
    I haven't used the Vee tires yet, but the Missions look like a nice choice. I'm really happy with the 2.25 Nobby Nic I'm running as my rear tire currently.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe is my favorite:

1 - Racing Ralph - (Reasonably good grip in soft and snow conditions. Noticeably faster rolling especially after switching from Nobby Nic)
    2 - Rocket Ron - (good in between tire but sidewall seem thin but they've held up)
    3 - Nobby Nic (rolls surprisingly well despite the aggressive tread)

Dissolved member
    Neo Moto 2.1 is a pretty good rear tire but I am going to switch to NN 2.25 soon.

I was asked about pictures and measurements of the TT earlier - I posted some here:
    goo.gl/N5DNk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    With 62" of annual snow, I ride Fat Bike year-round, Salsa Mukluk II+.

My first choice for second bike for summer is a 650b. If I stick with a single bike, my favorite compromise is a carbon Fat Bike with 650b summer wheel set shod with tires about 3" wide.

With 29 x 3" tires, the Surly Krampas wheel diameter should be exactly 1.5" shorter IMHO.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com fine guitars/audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5