Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by c_t_smith View Post
    Can anyone confirm if the 2.35 HD and NN will definitely clear the crown on a Fox36 at full compression? I have a lot of room w/ a NM2.3 on a Flow Ex rim and want to go taller, but don't want any rubbing at all. I suspect the HD would be fine, but would prefer the slightly taller NN if it would definitely fit. Thanks
    How many mm's of crown space do you have with the Neo 2.3" at bottom out? If you have 4-5mm you should be fine with a NN.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    g3rg, impressed that the HD clears such a big tyre. What travel are you using, 140?

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    g3rg, impressed that the HD clears such a big tyre. What travel are you using, 140?
    I am thrilled that it clears! The amazing thing is that the profile of the rear yoke matches the tire almost perfectly. The Neo had more clearance in the center
    I haven't checked travel yet. My frame has the 160mm chips. I had a Monarch Plus limited to 150mm, but the rear suspension was awful in the chunk. I have a new RC4 ready to rock. I will limit it as required. Hopefully I can get the back of the bike to work as well as the front.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I've got a gash in my Neo right now (happened at the end of my very first ride on it) so I can't measure clearance w/o booting the tire and sticking in a tube. I may just roll the dice and try the NN knowing a zip tie on the stantion tube would restrict travel a few mm's (I wouldn't have thought of that were it not for the post above.) I've always run a zip tie on one side anyway to measure sag and travel, so i guess I've already got a travel restrictor in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    You and I have different definitions of "clears".

Dissolved member
    Thumbs up for the Vee Rubber Trail Taker! I did seven miles with the TT in the front (2011 Velvet) on packed snow / ice today and it behaved great, the mighty side knobs got me out of trouble many times. I may have to get one for the rear, too. The casing does not feel that much bigger than the Neo Moto and the pattern is somehow similar but it grips much better in winter conditions. Mine was almost exactly 750g, love the sidewall protection and in general, it feels like a high quality tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Thumbs up for the Vee Rubber Trail Taker! I did seven miles with the TT in the front (2011 Velvet) on packed snow / ice today and it behaved great, the mighty side knobs got me out of trouble many times. I may have to get one for the rear, too. The casing does not feel that much bigger than the Neo Moto and the pattern is somehow similar but it grips much better in winter conditions. Mine was almost exactly 750g, love the sidewall protection and in general, it feels like a high quality tire.
    StiHacka, how does the compound compare to the Neo? How wide of a rim? With the position of the side knobs, I figure a narrow rim would not work well.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    StiHacka, how does the compound compare to the Neo? How wide of a rim? With the position of the side knobs, I figure a narrow rim would not work well.
    I did only about 15 miles on the TTs so far and the trails looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDAaV5tjqM (that is actually the TT in the video) and my biggest concern was keeping my wobbly arse in the saddle so it is too early to compare the two. The TT is a dual compound (Soft/Medium on the label) thread with the center (and inner transition knobs?) of medium rubber and outer transition and side knobs of soft rubber and the soft knobs feel definitely more sticky than the Neo Moto. The TT worked better in packed snow than the Neo, the mighty side knobs got me out of trouble many times. Rolling resistance - hard to compare snow vs snow, the jury is still out on that one. Their weight is about the same, mine was about 750g. I like the side wall protection of the TT. If your fork/bike can take the TT, I suspect you may like it better than the Neo.

Since the casing of the TT is only 2.1-2.2" wide, it works quite well on a narrow rim. I currently run it on Alex XD Lite with only 19mm of inner width and it is just fine.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did only about 15 miles on the TTs so far and the trails looked like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDAaV5tjqM (that is actually the TT in the video) and my biggest concern was keeping my wobbly arse in the saddle so it is too early to compare the two. The TT is a dual compound (Soft/Medium on the label) thread with the center (and inner transition knobs?) of medium rubber and outer transition and side knobs of soft rubber and the soft knobs feel definitely more sticky than the Neo Moto. The TT worked better in packed snow than the Neo, the mighty side knobs got me out of trouble many times. Rolling resistance - hard to compare snow vs snow, the jury is still out on that one. Their weight is about the same, mine was about 750g. I like the side wall protection of the TT. If your fork/bike can take the TT, I suspect you may like it better than the Neo.

Since the casing of the TT is only 2.1-2.2" wide, it works quite well on a narrow rim. I currently run it on Alex XD Lite with only 19mm of inner width and it is just fine.
    Petr, this sounds like a pretty darn nice tire and one to add to the list. Especially as a front. Good on you for getting out in the snow on the bike. I went to the XC skis and snowshoes.

When you have a chance get a diameter measurement on this puppy.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

MTB B'dos
    Um clearance, where do you see clearance in either of those 2 photos? There's not even enough room there for the tyre to pick up even some grass or leaves, let alone if you even smell mud That to me is crazy and an easy way to practice your superman impression.
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    ReignX in 7x6 config with VTT up front:
    Clearance(?):

The best part, clearance on the back of my MojoHD:

gerG
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member

I would have thought that with the side knobs so low on the side of the the casing, that a narrow rim would have them pointing to the side, requiring an (even more) extreme lean angle to have them bite. A wider rim would make for a flatter/squarer profile. Glad to hear they work well.

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Um clearance, where do you see clearance in either of those 2 photos? There's not even enough room there for the tyre to pick up even some grass or leaves, let alone if you even smell mud That to me is crazy and an easy way to practice your superman impression.
    What are these grass, leaves, and mud of which you speak? My trails are made of jagged and bloodthirsty rocks of various size. Occasionally one gets pulled through the arch, but at only 20psi the tire just deflects out of the way. I have ridden a stock 26" bike that was worse about that.

I did have a problem a few nights ago when I accidentally tried to jam a 2ft boulder through there. Fortunately I was able to dodge the thing at the last second (credit to the front grip) and save myself from a painful launch, but the tire took a hell of a side hit. The noise was awful, and I expected to see sealant spray from a torn tread or sidewall. No such bad luck. The tire is tougher than I thought.

TBD what happens with the close clearance on the back of the Mojo (still waiting for a part). I don't expect it to be any worse than the Neo was back there. Hopefully it will be more durable.

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

banned
    Sep 2012
    lol g3rG... so true... Arizona trails for you.... we have nothing but rocks, some loose graver and little sand for you...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Some Tire Measurements

Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Anyone know the diameter of the Maxxis Ardent 27.5 x 2.25?
    Don't know if you ever got an answer. I just mounted one up and made some measurements, along with a bunch of other tire/rim combos I accumulated recently. Here's what I have so far (last pair of numbers in each row are my measurements, in inches, all made at 30psi):

Maxxis Ardent EXO 27.5x2.25, Flow EX: 27.88x2.29
    Kenda Nevegal 27.5x2.35, Flow EX: 27.75x2.43
    Pacenti NeoMoto 27.5x2.1, Flow EX: 27.63x2.21
    Pacenti NeoMoto 27.5x2.3, Flow EX: 27.56x2.41
    Kenda Nevegal DTC, 27.5x2.1, Crest: 27.53x2.24

Yes, I know the diameters of the two NeoMotos look like they are swapped, but that's what I measured. The 2.3 only had about 40 miles on it before I ripped the sidewall on a rock, so they didn't have much wear either. They were the only tire measured using a tube (all others were converted tubeless) but I can't imagine how that would make any difference.

The Ardent and NeoMoto2.1 had zero miles on them. They were inflated at 40psi for two days before making the measurements. The Nevegal had the most miles on it, but still less than 200, and looked almost brand new (lucky to live on the peninsula of the bay area with trails in the loam and shade of the redwoods.

The Ardent's diameter was a bit of an unpleasant surprise for me. I was hoping it would be smaller than the Nevegal 2.35, which is the biggest diameter tire I would personally use on a Fox 36 fork.

Just for fun, I measured a few 26 inch tires for comparison:

Maxxis Ardent 26x2.4, Flow: 27.19x2.42
    Specialized Control S-Works 26x2.3, Arch EX: 26.81x2.26
    Maxxis Ardent 26x2.25, Flow: 26.81x2.23
    Kenda Nevegal StickE 26x2.1, Arch EX: 26.63x2.17

The Nevegal had zero miles on it, but was inflated at 30-40psi for a few weeks, as I waited for it to seal! The Spec Control and both Maxxis' had <50 miles on them (new bikes, purchased right before winter...).

I measured diameters using a stand I rigged up with T-squares to try to ensure accuracy and repeatability. I'd estimate my numbers are good to better than +/-1mm (0.04"). Widths were measured at the fattest part of the tire using calipers.

MTB B'dos
    Well you're a lucky guy I guess, we've got loads of mud (clay based), leaves,small rocks and loads of crap on our trails - quite varied, can't complain. Still I wouldn't be trusting either of those combos if they were mine, I say you're lucky the rocks have made it through and not gotten stuck, might be because you've no mud to stick them hard to the tyre.
    What are these grass, leaves, and mud of which you speak? My trails are made of jagged and bloodthirsty rocks of various size. Occasionally one gets pulled through the arch, but at only 20psi the tire just deflects out of the way. I have ridden a stock 26" bike that was worse about that.

TBD what happens with the close clearance on the back of the Mojo (still waiting for a part). I don't expect it to be any worse than the Neo was back there. Hopefully it will be more durable.

gerG
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lixxfe View Post
    Don't know if you ever got an answer. I just mounted one up and made some measurements, along with a bunch of other tire/rim combos I accumulated recently. Here's what I have so far (last pair of numbers in each row are my measurements, in inches, all made at 30psi):

The Ardent's diameter was a bit of an unpleasant surprise for me. I was hoping it would be smaller than the Nevegal 2.35, which is the biggest diameter tire I would personally use on a Fox 36 fork.
    Thanks a bunch for those numbers. I'm also disappointed in the size of the Ardent. I have a new set ready to mount when my wheels arrive, but it looks like they might be too big for my conversion (Blur TRc with Fox 32 fork).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    Thanks a bunch for those numbers. I'm also disappointed in the size of the Ardent. I have a new set ready to mount when my wheels arrive, but it looks like they might be too big for my conversion (Blur TRc with Fox 32 fork).
    You're welcome. I think you will indeed find the Ardent to be too big for a Fox 32. I found the Nev2.35 already too big and had to resort to using a Fox 36. With the Nev2.35 and Fox 32, I had 1-2 mm of clearance to the Arch, and contact at the Crown. With the Fox 36, I had 6 mm clearance to the Arch, and about 3mm clearance to the Crown. That's about as tight as I want to get.

On my converted Mojo HD140, The 2.3NeoMoto is about as big as I would dare to run, so the Ardent won't work there either!

It's been an interesting (and quite expensive) experiment with full 650b conversion for me. I think I'm going to buy a dedicated 650b fork and just run 650b/26 on the Mojo. With all the extra parts I ended up with, maybe look for an end of the year sale on a 650b frame (next year). Or better yet, maybe Ibis will release a 650b rear triangle this year...

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lixxfe View Post

Anyone know where the Nobby Nic 27.5x2.25 would fit in, height-wise?

U $ 4 O?
    Those tires will grow, watch out

I have a new RC4 ready to rock. I will limit it as required. Hopefully I can get the back of the bike to work as well as the front.

gerG
    If it's 2012, you should have no problem limiting travel w/ the BO control

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I just set up some 2.35 hans dampfs on pacenti tl-28's pm my bystickel with a Fox Float 36. Plenty of clearance with the arch, and about 2-3mm clearance with the crown at full compression. I gotta say I am impressed with the volume on these....biggest 650b I have seen.

mtbr member
    i would also be interested in similar images with trail taker and fox 36.
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Would love to mount up a trail taker just to see how they look but I don't know where to get them....no US distributor has them yet that I can find.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would like to find the Vee Mission 2.3 tires... I have bought both the Nobby Nic and Hans Dampf in the 2.35 and neither will work with my current build that I am trying to complete. SC Nickel and a Fox 32 Talas 150-120mm

I would think the Mission 2.3 just might be the ticket. I have been waiting on the Hans Dampf 2.25, but just spoke with Schwalbe and they said it will probably be the end of February till they hit the store shelves. I have had my build all complete except for the damn tires!!! Hate to waist money on Neomotos or Nevegals, when I know the sidewalls are not gonna be tough enough for our east coast rocks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Hate to waist money on Neomotos or Nevegals, when I know the sidewalls are not gonna be tough enough for our east coast rocks
    As someone who has ridden both those tires, tubeless, in the rocky glacial deposit mess that makes up our Connecticut trails, I wouldn't consider either tire a waste of money. The sidewalls might not be as thick as the Schwalbe snakeskin, but both are far from flimsy and more than stout enough to do tubeless conversions and run low pressure. IMHO anyway.

LyN
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterbug67 View Post
    Hate to waist money on Neomotos or Nevegals, when I know the sidewalls are not gonna be tough enough for our east coast rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by apat13 View Post
    As someone who has ridden both those tires, tubeless, in the rocky glacial deposit mess that makes up our Connecticut trails, I wouldn't consider either tire a waste of money. The sidewalls might not be as thick as the Schwalbe snakeskin, but both are far from flimsy and more than stout enough to do tubeless conversions and run low pressure. IMHO anyway.
    I've ridden the Nevegal 2.35 as front tire for some time in two bikes: a Blur LT and a On One 456. Although I did think that sidewalls were weak, I dared to use them as front tire. However, my experience has not been very good. I've cutted the sidewalls and I've suffered severe burping, specially when doing drops (small ones, max half a meter, not more). I could not recommend this tire to be ridden tubeless at all. Moreover, its grip is not very good when compared with true AM tires. I would say it is ok for trail ridind, but definitely not for AM.

However, my experience with the Hans Dampf is just the oposit. Great AM tire.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast