Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by fxdeals View Post
    Check this baby out Vee Rubber Trail Taker 650Bx2.4

it's BIG! and it's out on ebay
    wow! How tall is it on an average rim?

Old-newbie
    Hmmm...maybe just my eyes, but that VR Trailtaker looks extremely similar to the last picture that I saw of the KP Mega-moto. It even has the beehive stuff on the side. Any reason for the resemblance?

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Wow they really do look a lot like the mega-moto... hmm Well Vee Rubber Trail taker is here and available. Wonder if VR is making the mega-moto....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks exactly the same as the mega, wonder what's going on.

Old-newbie
    Bit of an update on the Vee TT: weighs 735g, sidewalls are thin but have a protection layer. Gorgeous tread pattern with rounded profile and actual-by-god side knobs! 2.45" wide at the outside of the knobs, but 2.2" wide casing. Fits pretty nicely on the back of the Mojo HD (torn down at the moment). Just barely clears my old Lyrik fork (on an 08 ReignX). It may rub in the center if it swells overnight. Hopefully not because I really really want to ride on it tomorrow.

Oh, and the tire says Pacenti on the side. I wonder what that is about...

gerG
    ...uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill uphill uphill uphill DOWNHILL! uphill ...

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post
    Bit of an update on the Vee TT: weighs 735g, sidewalls are thin but have a protection layer. Gorgeous tread pattern with rounded profile and actual-by-god side knobs! 2.45" wide at the outside of the knobs, but 2.2" wide casing. Fits pretty nicely on the back of the Mojo HD (torn down at the moment). Just barely clears my old Lyrik fork (on an 08 ReignX). It may rub in the center if it swells overnight. Hopefully not because I really really want to ride on it tomorrow.

gerG
    g3rg thank you so much for that update. I did not realize they actually say Pacenti on the sidewall... So my thought are probably correct that the Vee Rubber Trail Taker is the Pacenti Mega-moto. Another thing that rang my attention is that they are lighter than expected so that is a great thing.

Hopefully you get to ride tomorrow, should be nice out...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Interesting stuff and looking forward to your impressions. Can you measure the diameter for us please.

Would be nice if KP would chime in about this tire.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Sounds like the same 2.4 Casing as the Vee Rubber Fluids and Flow in 2.4, see below pics for the Fluids. Ride report tomorrow Aus time.

These measure in at 710mm in Height, and 61mm tread width.

They mount up tubeless real nice and easy too, due to them being Sealant compatible.
    Defcon Cycles - Brisbane Australia

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nobby Nic 2.35 on a TL28, Fox Float RLC 120.

Not a ton of clearance (can almost jam my pinky through), but I thought it would be less given how many people said it was a huge tire.

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by g3rG View Post

gerG
    Thank you for the update. What rim are yours on? My Lyrik will not take a bigger tire than a NN 2.25 on a wide rim (p35).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
    Nobby Nic 2.35 on a TL28, Fox Float RLC 120.

Not a ton of clearance (can almost jam my pinky through), but I thought it would be less given how many people said it was a huge tire.
    That gap at the very top is only about 2-3mm on the 140 Float I checked with. Your pic makes it look like more. Be aware the tire will hit the crown at bottom out but a 5mm wide zip tie on each fork leg would make a crude but effective shim/safety stop so you could use the tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Thank you for the update. What rim are yours on? My Lyrik will not take a bigger tire than a NN 2.25 on a wide rim (p35).
    Vee Rubber was going to be the manufacturer for the Mega all along, like Panaracer was for the Neos and Quasis... You could see it was different from the Panaracer made tires from the start, the honeycomb pattern being one sign.
    My guess is that while KP wasn't happy with the design, or possibly the execution, Vee Rubber went ahead with production.
    If they have a mold in 650b size, and there is a sudden demand for more 650b tires, why not run some tires and make a buck?

I am curious about the compound. I have seen Vee Rubber tires and they seemed to have been made from melted down superballs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    That gap at the very top is only about 2-3mm on the 140 Float I checked with. Your pic makes it look like more. Be aware the tire will hit the crown at bottom out but a 5mm wide zip tie on each fork leg would make a crude but effective shim/safety stop so you could use the tire.
    Yeah, I'm not sure why the discrepancy, the lowers should be the same on all 32mm forks, this is with a 15QR. If I had to guess, I'd say 5-7mm. I don't think my air pressure was over 25 psi.

Old-newbie
    More info:
    It did stretch overnight. It now touches the arch at the center hard enough to buzz to a stop when I spin the wheel. If I drop the pressure to 20psi (yikes) it just rubs lightly. I can ride that. Ideally I would wear down the centers on the back of another bike, then put it on the Lyrik. Unfortunately I am waiting for parts for the MHD.

I checked average diameter using the pi-tape method. I get 27.85 inches.
    Width at knobs is up to 2.50"
    Mounted on a Stan's Flow inflated to 25psig.

I will take some clearance shots later.

The casing has a DC logo, meaning dual compound. Hopefully they will hold up better than the Maxxis stick-e Minion that is crumbling apart on the back of the bike.

I need to seal the one on the back of the MHD and let it stretch for awhile. I really hope it can hold clearance.

gerG

Old-newbie
    A brief update. The tire is now properly broken in. 2100ft of climbing and descent in the Arizona funky chunky. I ran it on the front of an 08 ReignX with a Lyrik fork (pictures tomorrow). Rear was a 2-ply Minion on a Deemax, 'cause I sort of tear up rear tires for some reason.

I started out with a rub problem. Even with only 20 psi in the tire it made a growling noise. As I sped up and slowed down it said something like "oh long johnson" (go search in youtube if you don't get the reference). Fortunately that only lasted a few miles, then it quieted down to a contented purr. I am not sure yet whether something wore in, or the tire spread out a bit. I will take a closer look tomorrow.

From the saddle this tire is perceptibly larger than the Neo-moto. It felt almost like I had a wide 29 up there. It also felt a bit squishy, probably because I normally run 30psi in tires this soft.

Rock spitting was not much of a problem. There was none initially, but it started doing it occasionally when I hit the loose stuff. Also it actually had enough clearance to roll rocks under the fork arch. It made a soft thump rather than the sharp pop that I have gotten with other combinations. Probably a combination of pressure and compound.

Grip was stellar. Climbing was very good, and downhill cornering was a blast. The farther I put the bike over the better the grip. Caveat: we had a bit of rain last night, so the trails were nice and tacky. Still, I was going into many turns without trimming any speed.

Looking at the tire post-ride I could see that I wore off a lot of the whiskers. It usually takes me a few rides on hard compound tires to do that. I also put some visible wear on the side knobs. However, there were none of the radial striations that I get from most of my other tires from cornering on the sidewalls. The sidewalls were in almost new condition. I am thrilled about that. fwiw I am not some uber downhiller, but I do work on turning technique every chance I get.

It did take a couple of hard oblique hits in a couple of sections where I screwed up my line. No problem for the tire, although I still have to do a close inspection.

That is it for now. Happy New Year to everyone!

gerG

banned
    Sep 2012

my650b.com

Thanks so much for that update. I know it's early in it's creation but check out my650b.com for these tires and soon lots more...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Very encouraging review. Thanks Looking forward to some pics of the beast (is this not the biggest 650 tire currently available?)

Old-newbie
    ReignX in 7x6 config with VTT up front:

The tire:

The tread:

Clearance(?):

The best part, clearance on the back of my MojoHD:

gerG

Dissolved member
    I have just ordered the VTT for my HT, it should be a good winter tire.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great pics

Have you checked the bottom out crown clearance on the Lyric?

Personally (and this is just me) I would have no qualms milling some more clearance into the arch of that fork.

~~~~~~~~
    I like the looks of that Vee Rubber Fluid, closest yet to a Minion? Where to buy?
    Want to stick with what I'm used to, Minions, but don't think I have the patience.

Old-newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Great pics

Have you checked the bottom out crown clearance on the Lyric?

Personally (and this is just me) I would have no qualms milling some more clearance into the arch of that fork.
    Oh aye! I let the air out of the Lyrik and rode around trying to get a rub on the crown. It cleared just fine. As for milling the crown (oops, I meant arch), the combination of tacky rubber with loose quartz provides excellent in-situ machining. Normally it works against me, but in this case it will fix the clearance problem ;-)

gerG
    Last edited by g3rG; 01-03-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Old-newbie
    Some shallow angle shots to show that the knobs stick out past the sidewall:
    The front VTT:

...and the rear Minion 2.5...

Scales and angles not perfect, sorry.

gerG

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Fit on F36 Fork?

Can anyone confirm if the 2.35 HD and NN will definitely clear the crown on a Fox36 at full compression? I have a lot of room w/ a NM2.3 on a Flow Ex rim and want to go taller, but don't want any rubbing at all. I suspect the HD would be fine, but would prefer the slightly taller NN if it would definitely fit. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    All Fox forks come with bottom-out bumpers, you just never see them because they live at the bottom of your lowers. If you're buzzing, find another pair (or any other similar rubber donut) and drop them in.

Some people limit travel with zip ties on their stanchion, which might work too, but I'd be afraid of destroying your oil seals.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast