mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Extreme RLS-like Sympoms After Hill Climb

15 minutes into my ride, after climbing (about 100 yards of really putting on the coals,) as I crested and my pedaling became relaxed, I had extreme Restless Leg Syndrome-like symptoms...........I jumped off the bike and jumped around not knowing how to rid myself of the indescribable sensation roaring through my legs. My breathing was super-accelerated as if my body knew automatically that this was the solution. I felt as if I was going to explode. This lasted about 5 minutes, then, all clear and away I went. I avoided any more extreme climbing for the remainder of the ride and have not ridden since. That was yesterday.
    Hard to describe, but hopefully someone has had a similar experience and can share.
    Thanks,
    Miguel
    Vassago Jabberwocky SS

mtbr member
    any other symptoms? hands tingled? head rush? nausea?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No other symptoms. FYI I am 52 yrs old, a very stocky 5'9" and about 5 lbs overweight. I was a little nauseous later that evening, but I think it was the pizza!

mtbr member
    honestly it sounds like you hyperventilated. its possible to ventilate off too much CO2 and feel really funky. unless you already have a dx of RLS then i doubt its anything like that. other factors could be low calcium causing cramp like sensations - when calcium gets low due to over exertion muscles can spasm. you may have used up all your readily available calcium which caused the effect. try taking a couple Tums before you ride hard next time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Yeah, maybe I hit it too hard, too soon, but it felt nothing like cramps or spasms. I did do plenty of stretching. I am an RLS sufferer. That's how I made the connection between the two. It feels like RLS x 100!
    I just spoke with the owner of an herbal shop who says she just recently treated another biker with identical symptoms, with homeopathic zinc. We then became disconnected, so I never got her to elaborate...........