Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Exactly What is Mavic Waiting For????

Whereas all the leading wheel manufacturers are already on 650b's expansion trail, Mavic is twiddling its thumbs, but giving freebies to Moots and to racers at SOC??

I have both 29's on my Rocky Mountain and 26's on my Scott and Yeti, and was hoping to add them to my Epiphany 275, but alas, they are a no-show.

Anyone else miffed at this decision/delay??

mtbr member
    the real question for Mavic is when are they going to start making rims wide enough to run decent width tires on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    They are not 650B-eliever yet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    the real question for Mavic is when are they going to start making rims wide enough to run decent width tires on.
    this says it all and so much more!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I see a company really stuck in it's ways, resistant to change....look how long it took them to produce a 29er wheelset...

dwt
    mtbr member

Look how long it took them to go tubeless- Oh, wait.

Posted via Tapatalk on iPhone.

"Old enough to know better and also old enough not to care. Best age to be."
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    They are a gay French company...what do you expect? Not that there is anything wrong with that....

Oh crap...I have Mavic on my road and MTB...dang it...dang it...dang it...

usually cranky
    they at least have protos.

mtbr member
    And hubs that don't grenade.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    They're probably busy making other people's rims and laughing all the way to the creperie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Look how long it took them to go tubeless- Oh, wait.
    Granted they were an early trendsetter in UST....the problem with that tho, is as much as UST tubeless tries to be 'proprietary' it's really not as most any tire can be ran tubeless. I personally among who knows how many others chose to run some sort of sealant in UST same as any 'ghetto' or stan's or whatever tubeless, pretty much negating the point of UST for me anyways...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onespeedpaul View Post
    Granted they were an early trendsetter in UST....the problem with that tho, is as much as UST tubeless tries to be 'proprietary' it's really not as most any tire can be ran tubeless. I personally among who knows how many others chose to run some sort of sealant in UST same as any 'ghetto' or stan's or whatever tubeless, pretty much negating the point of UST for me anyways...
    While I have had good luck with Stan's rims and either TLR or re-inforced sidewall tires, UST is still the gold standard for tubeless. I have a UST wheel set & tire combo that never has burped or flatted, without sealant. Total confidents slamming into rock gardens or jumping.

On more then one occasion I have had to either out a tube in or walk out of the woods when a Neo moto sidewall sh!t the bed. Not a knock on the Neo, since it designed to run tubeless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    While I have had good luck with Stan's rims and either TLR or re-inforced sidewall tires, UST is still the gold standard for tubeless. I have a UST wheel set & tire combo that never has burped or flatted, without sealant. Total confidents slamming into rock gardens or jumping.

On more then one occasion I have had to either out a tube in or walk out of the woods when a Neo moto sidewall sh!t the bed. Not a knock on the Neo, since it designed to run tubeless.
    I tried UST for a whole year (crossmax xl and continental mtn kings) and burped one once, and had to put a tube in at least 5-6 times in puncture flats. I've not burped a neomoto since 2008, and no tubes, except a few sidewall cuts that required a dollar bill in place and limping out of the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Hey guys,
    I saw this thread and figured I'd hop in with some info. I've been a Mavic athlete for a long time and I've recently started helping them out with some Community Management so I'm able to speak on their behalf. The good news is, it sounds like some of you on here are Mavic fans, the bad news is you're frustrated we don't have any 27.5 wheels.... Yet. As a couple of the posts stated, there have been a few prototypes floating around, so hopefully that's a good indication to everyone that we're pretty far in the development process. Mavic has always been very thorough testing new products when bringing them to the market, I had the chance to tour the wheel factory this past winter and I was amazed at how much engineering goes into their products. I can assure you that you'll be seeing some 27.5 products from Mavic very soon. While I'm on here I want to touch on two other topics free hubs and UST. We switched over to the ITS-4 system a few years ago, which solved some of the maintainence related issues of the older systems. I use Mavic wheels including hubs on all my bikes including trials which is extremely demanding on the rachet mechanism. I've had great success using them for the past few years and the new systems have been super reliable. On to UST it is a tubeless standard, theres plenty of ways nowadays to make tires and rims work without innertubes, but UST certifies that rims AND tires adhere to certain standards. I've tried all different types of tires both UST and others, some work great, others cause headaches. UST is by far the most fool proof, other tires work, but it's really hit or miss. Tubeless ready uses a UST bead on a standard casing, and requires sealant to be air tight, in my experience it's the best system since you'll most likely want to run sealant for flat prevention anyway. Anyway, hope that info helps, if you have any other questions feel free to fire away!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The real Jeff Lenosky?

The calculated risk films were one of the main things that got me into trials, they still hold their own against many more modern ones.
    Thanks a lot and it's great to see you still showing trials to the masses with the demos too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

I've had several sets of Mavic wheels, and have absolutely loved the crossmax SL and SLRs. The only reason that i sold my last two sets was to go 650b. I am trying to hold out for the 650b SLR...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I think it blows everybody's mind when a company that has a reputation for being an industry leader in high quality rims becomes so slow to change in this area. It must be nice to be big enough to get away with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    That's great to hear that you remember all that stuff! Thanks for the kind words.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I know it could seem mind blowing that a company as big as Mavic hasn't come out with 27.5 wheels yet, but like I mentioned in my earlier post, they are very thorough when they design a new wheel system. They've brought so many technolgies to the market on both road and mountain, but they are tested for years out of the eye of the consumer until it's finally released and it becomes big news. When this happens, years of secretive testing becomes revolutionary and seems like it happened overnight. Making a smaller diameter wheel isn't necessarily a new technology so manufacturers can crank them out pretty fast using existing spokes and rim extrusions and make it appear like other manufacturer are lagging. It's not the Mavic way to just roll a smaller diameter rim and cut some shorter spokes. Mavic usually keeps new products pretty well guarded so the fact that there's pictures of samples floating around the Internet can only mean they're not too far away.

mtbr member
    This is my beef with Mavic also. A proper rim w/ a 23ish mm internal width that doesn't weigh a metric ton would be nice.

Never figured out what they were trying to accomplish with carbon spokes, either...
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I hope Mavic remembers that some 650b bikes are rim-braked; not all of us want to run disc on all of our bikes. FWIW....

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLenosky View Post
    I can assure you that you'll be seeing some 27.5 products from Mavic very soon
    That's good. Better late than never. I had figured that a highly respected industry heavyweight component manufacturer like Mavic would have followed suit when Fox and Rockshox jumped into the fray about one year ago. Those two brands making 650b forks, along with Nino Schurter's WC XC racing success on the Scott Scale, were the two events that opened the 650b floodgates last year. From the "huh?" wheel size to flavor of the month, Bike Mag Shootout winner, next best thing fad in a matter of months.

So Mavic was ahead of the curve and pioneer/inventor of tubeless bike tires, but late to the party on the marketing tipping point that the tweener wheel has become. I suppose there is a proven business strategy behind a company staying outside a trend- until the trend's success begins to appear to be more likely than its failure. Investing in a flash in the pan fad that fizzles and fades away can hurt just as bad as being first out of the gate, getting a trademark, and introducing a revolutionary market changing product can be a big shot in the arm. The trick is to know which is which and/or to always hedge your bets.

Glad to see Mavic finally jumping on the bandwagon. Wondering about Spesh and Trek strategy at this point. I suppose they are holding out until they are ready to release the new state of the art product (such as 22lbs 4" bike or a 25 lbs 5" bike)

I've tried all different types of tires both UST and others, some work great, others cause headaches. UST is by far the most fool proof, other tires work, but it's really hit or miss. Tubeless ready uses a UST bead on a standard casing, and requires sealant to be air tight, in my experience it's the best system since you'll most likely want to run sealant for flat prevention anyway
    This. TLR, TCS, TNT etc. These are the "tweeners" of the tire world: not too heavy, not too risky, but just right.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

jrm
    mtbr member
    Yet 650A and B were developed by the French.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

orthonormal
    I'm guessing we'll soon see something significantly different from Mavic's previous offerings in all three diameters. Otherwise, they would have had a 650B version of one or more of their existing products on the market many moons ago.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Now if they would address the fact that the eyelets crack on their road rims life would be good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast