mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Epic S-Works B-Niner

-DUC 32 with a 29 reducer kit
    -Stans 650B in the rear
    - 08 Plastic Epic
    = Fun

This is what happens when we have too much time on our hands. We like the 29 up front to get around corners, love the 650B thing in all other appllications so we went off the deep end and came up with another franken bike.

Side walk ride gives it a big thumbs up. It feels pretty good and there is no flop in the front end. We were running a TALAS at 120mm on the front before and this fork has the same axle to crown height. Seems to work well. Trail test later!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That looks fast, probably wouldn't survive trail conditions over here though with that amount of mud clearance at the rear.

mtbr member
    I like mid-winter bike experimentation projects. Let us know how the trail ride goes.

TNC
    noMAD man
    And...uh...I think this was my idea...wasn't it? Or am I just having another superiority complex moment?...LOL! On the other hand, if this turns out to handle like a wheelbarrow with a flat tire, I deny all input in this ridiculous experiment.

Harshing my mellow, man..
    Jun 2008
    No way dog, that was totally my idea first! I had the idea in a dream, when I was riding the ole Tachyon as fast as the speed of light, catching sweet air everywhere I can.

TNC
    noMAD man

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by locobaylor
    No way dog, that was totally my idea first! I had the idea in a dream, when I was riding the ole Tachyon as fast as the speed of light, catching sweet air everywhere I can.
    You must have picked up some good drugs on your trip to Dallas last Monday.

Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    You must have picked up some good drugs on your trip to Dallas last Monday.
    Only the best of the best!

TNC
    noMAD man

Hay HatTrick...

This is the thread where you asked about 29'er Epics...so I bumped it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    This is the thread where you asked about 29'er Epics...so I bumped it up.
    Awesome. Yeah, I edited my post because I just went ahead and put a Fox 29er F80 on the front to test it out. From what I could tell riding around the driveway, the handling seemed way slow and I didn't like it. I think the way to go is how your two friends do it with 650s on both the front and back, but I am still curious about experiences with a 650b or 29er out front and a 26er in the back.

mtb remember
    I totally agree - I didn't like the sluggish feel of my Epic with a 29 front / 26 rear setup. As I said in your other post...will experiement with dual 650b as well as B26 next week.
    ~ May The Schwartz Be With You ~

Jun 2008
    Well I rode the one pictured today, and I think it rode very well. I did my fastest lap time on it. If I could change one thing about it, it would be the bobbing of the front end when I wanted to get up and actually crank it on flats. I don't know much about geometry and stuff like that, but Monday I will be inquiring my fellow employees at the bike shop to see if my Reba from my stumpy 29er could go on the Epic, without throwing it way out of whack.
    But I didn't feel it being sluggish or slow in cornering, but the last bike I rode before that was my stumpy 29er, so maybe I was just used to the 29er feel.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Well Baylor, as one of your fellow employees...LOL!...what you're probably feeling is a very active front fork with 120mm of travel. The DUC32 is super supple. It can probably be manipulated with some fork tuning to improve out of the saddle efforts. On the 80mm Reba on your Stumpy hardtail, I doubt it will screw up the geometry on the Epic at all. I'm not sure how much you'll miss the nearly 2" of travel loss out at Buck Creek, however.

mtbr member
    ...not sure how much you'll miss the nearly 2" of travel loss out at Buck Creek, however.
    I doubt he'll notice, remember it wasn't that long ago he was riding this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 SC Blur XCc