mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Ellsworth Epiphany

Am soliciting comments on the Ellsworth Epiphany XC. I want a light full suspension, 650b bike. I mostly ride single track/trail and the Epiphany XC (according to the Ellsworth site anyway) can handle all that quite well.

The other bike I would love to test is the Pivot Mach 6. Lots of ads but no bikes seem to be around yet; at least in the DC/Baltimore Metro area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I rode a 26" Epiphany for many years and loved the bike, however I just bought a Pivot 5.7 for my wife. I would go Pivot first. IMO a better sus. design and better factory support.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Good job! Thx

Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    I rode a 26" Epiphany for many years and loved the bike, however I just bought a Pivot 5.7 for my wife. I would go Pivot first. IMO a better sus. design and better factory support.
    Thanks for your reply. Ellsworth test bike is on its way from California to a LBS. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long to try the Mach 6. One or the other will probably be my 65th b'day present from me to me.

One plus for the Epiphany: A rep for Ellsworth works at that bike shop.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Epiphany works best with a sit and spin tech. In certain conditions it is an excellent climber with the above in mind. I find the Pivot has a supple sus. but peddles better under load. IE the Pivot will handle sudden efforts better. It may be harder to test a Pivot but I think its worth the effort.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I owe you a debt of gratitude for your advice. I will wait to try the Mach 6 even if it (whichever bike I get) becomes my 66th b'day present to myself.

One thing, though... I tend to do all my peddling while on my butt. I use a KS Lev and I find l rarely if ever jump up while under power.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I rode an Ellsworth Truth for 15 years (I loved it) and I just bought an Ibis Mojo SL to replace it. I test rode every bike I could get my hands on, including the Epiphany before I bought the Ibis. The DW-Link suspension design is a great improvement over the Ellsworth design. I wanted the Mach-6 as my next bike, but I needed a bike, so I bought the Ibis. Wait for the Mach-6 if you can.
    The Truth will set you free.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your input. Luckilly I have a bike to ride so I cab be relatively patient and wait for the Mach 6.

mtbr member
    I liked the Epiphany I tested, I put about 60 miles on it and found the suspension rocker is set up as a falling rate I think, so it is veery small bump compliant and runs out of leverage rather than bottoming out harshly. It's biggest weakness IMHO is out of the saddle hammering, which causes it to bob some.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your input. I will have one to test in about 1.5 weeks. I'll post an eval then.

I am thinking that I want to test the Pivot Mach 6 when available before I make any final decisions.

Actually, I am curious about the Turner Czar. I know it is a 29r but I've read some glowing reviews.