Thread: Educate me

NedwannaB

Educate me

Velocity Blunt SL vs P35. What's the dif?

I've been running a new Nev 2.35 on a WTB Laser Disc Trail rim for a couple months now. The tire seems to work good so far, a tad rounder profile (then my 2.1's are) probably then if on a wider rim I would think but still.

I do need to purchase a 15mm T/A hub at some point down the line to use on a fork I picked up and thought I'd step up the rim size while I'm at it.

I'm more of an xc/aggressive xc rider (whatever that means....) no crazy stuff, intentionally anyway, as I've pushed past the half century mark in years and have been using 1.95/2.1's for the 10+ years I've been seriously riding. I doubt I'll go bigger than 2.35.

I guess the question really is will I notice much benefit in the wider tire profile these rims will give me given the extra expense of putting another $50-70 for a rim on top of the hub/spokes and wheel build $$?

Thanks in advance.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Velocity Blunt SL vs P35. What's the dif?

I've been running a new Nev 2.35 on a WTB Laser Disc Trail rim for a couple months now. The tire seems to work good so far, a tad rounder profile (then my 2.1's are) probably then if on a wider rim I would think but still.

I do need to purchase a 15mm T/A hub at some point down the line to use on a fork I picked up and thought I'd step up the rim size while I'm at it.

I'm more of an xc/aggressive xc rider (whatever that means....) no crazy stuff, intentionally anyway, as I've pushed past the half century mark in years and have been using 1.95/2.1's for the 10+ years I've been seriously riding. I doubt I'll go bigger than 2.35.

I guess the question really is will I notice much benefit in the wider tire profile these rims will give me given the extra expense of putting another $50-70 for a rim on top of the hub/spokes and wheel build $$?

Thanks in advance.
    I was told to stay away from the Blunt SL. I've been using the regular Blunts for two years now with great sucess. The 2.3 Neo sit nicely on that rim.

just some guy
    I've had good success with the Blunt SL, but I'm a skinny XC guy and don't do any big drops or anything.

NedwannaB

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker4life View Post
    I was told to stay away from the Blunt SL
    SL's not wider or strong enuff for bigger tires? 140# rider using XD Lites on my ht xc rig.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Very happy with my regular blunts....they've held up well.

The SLs are narrower and lighter. I've heard some bad things, but if you're really 140lbs, I can't imagine that they're so flexy you'll be affected. If you're doing more AM stuff than XC, it's worth having a stiffer rim, but build them up right and I'd bet you'll be OK.

jrm
    mtbr member

The blunt

will give any 2.35 a nice round profile. the 2.35 nev clears the bridge of a 26 fox fork no problem. i dont know if the same can be said for the recent batch of 2.35 tires though. I'd love to try a NN up front. i have one on my 9er and its stinkin huge.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

www.derbyrims.com
    Wider rim advantages:

Need lower air pressure to have the same stable (if not more stable) cornering feel. Lower air pressures in tires are easier to roll over rough and rocky surfaces, and make a larger tire contact patch (more traction).

The edge knobs stand up straighter, making a more "squared profile", giving increased traction in corners. But if air pressures are too high the edge knobs can more suddenly release the higher traction when very hard cornering.

The sidewall becomes wider and increases stability.

Wider rim dis-advantages:

Weight.

Can increase the hooky, grabby feeling when riding in deep ruts and the tire rubs the sides of the ruts.

Possible reduced stay clearance, when the sidewall is the widest section of the tire. Otherwise, the tread normally does not become measurably wider, the more squared profile edge knobs may reduce outward flair and narrow the tread slightly (I found this occurred with 2.3 Neo-motos going from Blunt to P35 size).

The tire's center knob radius from the axle may increase very slightly, about 1mm. Reducing stay-bridge clearance.

Last edited by derby; 12-14-2012 at 06:43 PM.

NedwannaB

Really

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    if you're really 140lbs, I can't imagine that they're so flexy you'll be affected. build them up right and I'd bet you'll be OK.
    Ok, ok. I'm 140 all geared up.

NedwannaB

Wealth of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Wider rim advantages:

Need lower air pressure to have the same stable (if not more stable) cornering feel. Lower air pressures in tires are easier to roll over rough and rocky surfaces, and make a larger tire contact patch (more traction).

The edge knobs stand up straighter, making a more "squared profile", giving increased traction in corners. But if air pressures are too high the edge knobs can more suddenly release the higher traction when very hard cornering.

The sidewall becomes wider and increases stability.

Wider rim dis-advantages:

Weight.

Can increase the hooky, grabby feeling when riding in deep ruts and the tire rubs the sides of the ruts.

Possible reduced stay clearance, when the sidewall is the widest section of the tire. Otherwise, the tread normally does not become measurably wider, the more squared profile edge knobs may reduce outward flair and narrow the tread slightly (I found this occurred with 2.3 Neo-motos going from Blunt to P35 size).

The tire's center knob radius from the axle may increase very slightly, about 1mm. Reducing stay-bridge clearance.

Thanks derby. So I did some more research, I see the Blunts are 28mm wide, just didn't see what the SL's were. If they are somewheres near halfway between the regular Blunts and what I'm using now which is 19-21, they should do fine. Have to do a little more checking and put in an order.

Thanks all for the tips.

mtbr member
    I believe the SL's are 25mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    If your going to use the P35 go for a lighter spoke like a rev. You'll make up some of the difference in weight with the heavier stronger rim. I think my Blunt wheelset is similar weight to my P35 with rev spokes.
    Best compromise in weight / strength and tire volume is the Crest rim. Lighter, yet tires come out wider than on a Blunt, due to it's lower rim profile.

NedwannaB

Crest?

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    If your going to use the P35 go for a lighter spoke like a rev. You'll make up some of the difference in weight with the heavier stronger rim. I think my Blunt wheelset is similar weight to my P35 with rev spokes.
    Best compromise in weight / strength and tire volume is the Crest rim. Lighter, yet tires come out wider than on a Blunt, due to it's lower rim profile.
    Interesting. I know they're strong enuff for my skrawnyness. Pricey tho.

Thanks gvs

Uncle
    Arch EX for the win :

ZTR Arch EX 650b- 32 Hole Black - NEW

edit: just saw your mention of rim price. I got nuthin.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

NedwannaB

Loads of tips

Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Arch EX for the win :

ZTR Arch EX 650b- 32 Hole Black - NEW

edit: just saw your mention of rim price. I got nuthin.
    Yeah thanks Ent, those ae the bomb, along with Kirk's line too! I have all the rim brands and price surfing thing down. I have Arch rims on my 29er. Whups that slipped out...

What I was basically looking at figuring out is how much I would notice the benefit of tire performance given the $$cost to put a new wheel together. I'ts not like it's not working now.

NedwannaB

Done

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post

I'll soon find out if it was worth it. New front wheel on the way. Dimension 15mm t/a hub laced with DT Rev spokes, brass nipples (those seem to be more important). Also got a pair of new 2.2 Wolverines for under $80 with a discount code.

Universal Cycles -- DT Swiss M480 650b Disc Rim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

NedwannaB
    Ok now in English....

mtbr member
    Sorry maybe I missed it, what was wrong with your WTB laserdisc trails? (they are solid 27mm rims)
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

NedwannaB

Couldn't find any more

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheous View Post
    Sorry maybe I missed it, what was wrong with your WTB laserdisc trails? (they are solid 27mm rims)
    Besides this is to sort of match a front on a different bike where I have an XD Lite rr rim. This way I can switch and use the rr wheel on both HT and FS. The WTB's are going on the SS.

NedwannaB

Spokes

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Well I tried to get it laced w/ Rev's but builder said no-go, then tried Sup Comp's......strike 2. Guess they don't have lengths for those in 650 rim erd (suppose they could've re-thread some to fit??...), so ended up getting reg competitions w/brass nips. Wasn't looking for a race-lite wheel anyway (would have kept the rim I had)and this should be a stout Trail Bike front wheel!

NedwannaB

Mr Brown came to town

Universal Cycles came thru. Same day as promised. Substantially wider then the rims I've used in the past (517 next to it here). Have to get the Stans setup put on after I get a tire seated with tube to check out the fit.

Dimension 15mm hub going to go on a Fox Vanilla 140 T/A fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Educate me-650b-dt-wheel.jpg  

Educate me-650b-rim-comparison.jpg