No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Dream Bronson C build

Well, after some mild drama a false starts, I finally have my dream daily driver in the garage. I did previously own an aluminum Bronson in size L. I really loved the bike, but had a hankering for my first carbon frame and L from Santa Cruz meant I had to run a 70mm stem to make it fit and it was still slightly small.

I'm 6'2, 34-35 cycling inseam, 185 pounds before gear and ride in Arizona.

Frame: Bronson C, size XL
    Shock: CCDB Air
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Fork: Rockshox Pike solo air 160
    Wheelset: Custom built from Speed Dream, Arch EX rims laced to Project 321 hubs
    Tires: Maxxis High Roller II front and Ardent rear, both tubeless
    Drivetrain: XX1
    Seating: KS Lev dropper and Silverado saddle
    Cockpit: Thomson X4 60mm stem, RF Sixc carbon bars, ODI grips
    Brakes: XT with Icetech rotors 180/180
    Pedals: XT

Weight: Complete as shown/listed 28.03 pounds on Park digital scale

Only one ride so far and it's probably going to take a couple more to get the shock dialed. It's everything I loved about the Bronson-A, but better sized and minus a couple pounds.

Another shakedown run on National tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sweet. I remember going from my alloy Nomad to the carbon version and was blown away by the stiffness and mostly the quiet ride as carbon is sound deadening.

Im also 6-2 and refuse to go XL so that's why I will be looking at other options with more modern geo, longer top tubes like the carbon Range.

mtbr member
    That looks dialed. But I give it 3 weeks max.

mtbr member
    ^^ (That thing looks awesome though)

mtbr member
    Great looking build - I don't see anything that I would have done differently.

Don't forget to point your front quick release back so it doesn't catch anything on the trail.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Second run this morning. It's actually been raining a bit here in Phx, so there was hero dirt between all the rocks.

Man, this bike is sweet. Sizing is spot-on with a 50mm stem and much more comfortable than my previous L Bronson A. I don't notice much increase in overall stiffness from the aluminum version, which was already quite stiff. What I do notice is silence. This frame with XX1 is dead quiet.

Still sorting the CCDBA and I suspect I will be for some time. I've got the sag spot on at around 27%. It's really nice at low speed, plush but still high in its travel. Just a little harsh at high speed or on bigger hits. More dialing to be done.

mtbr member
    Very nice. I like it a lot. As I continue to dream up a dream build for my next bike I get a ton of inspiration from builds like this. Perfect.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sweet Bike Blatant! I to just went to a Bronson A, had her maiden voyage on BCT yesterday! I loved the ride, still getting used the ride and suspension coming from a Spearfish and a Canfield N9. Question for you - how is XX1 working gear wise for our AZ trails? I got the RAM kit but was going to go 1 x 10 with a Race Face or Wolf Tooth 32t up front. Also, not sure if it was me but those highrollers seemed to grip pretty well in the moist granite but you hit some sloppy wetter stuff and it felt like I had a flat or was riding the brakes!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Bet the dirt out there was awesome! Hope you kept the N9; I have a Yelli Screamy that I run as a single-speed.

XX1 has been working great. I did err on the side of caution with a 28-tooth front ring. A 30 or 32 would have been a better choice for me terrain-wise.

As for the High Rollers, I like the tire in the front, but have never cared for it as a rear tire.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    BCT was super-tacky! We went from Bumble Bee north to the corral and back.

Yes, I have the Gen 2 N9, after breaking the Gen 1. I love the new frame and will keep that as a SS as well. The biggest thing I noticed on the Bronson (other than obvious plushness!) is the bottom bracket height! Zero pedal strikes yesterday, N9 would have been striking a bunch of times :-)

On the 1 x, I was thinking 32t but may consider a 30t, mainly riding up here in PTown, T100 and McDowells. I think I'm going to put a Ardent on the rear and see how that feels with a HR up front. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sick ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Sweet. I remember going from my alloy Nomad to the carbon version and was blown away by the stiffness and mostly the quiet ride as carbon is sound deadening.

Im also 6-2 and refuse to go XL so that's why I will be looking at other options with more modern geo, longer top tubes like the carbon Range.
    Reach on the lg Bronson is only 7 mm less than the Range. I've ridden and liked the fit of both with 60 mm stem and 760 bars. I'm 6'3".
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Reach on the lg Bronson is only 7 mm less than the Range. I've ridden and liked the fit of both with 60 mm stem and 760 bars. I'm 6'3".
    Chainstay length on the RangeC is 8mm shorter & the top tube length is actually -16mm longer according to both sites. At 6-3 I would def be on an XL.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Chainstay length on the RangeC is 8mm shorter & the top tube length is actually -16mm longer according to both sites. At 6-3 I would def be on an XL.
    Yea, you need an XL. I am 6-2 riding a an xl and it does not feel to big. Not sure where u r located in socal, but I think BikeCo in Lake Forest told me that Santa Cruz is coming back for a demo day in December some time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdqmach26 View Post
    Yea, you need an XL. I am 6-2 riding a an xl and it does not feel to big. Not sure where u r located in socal, but I think BikeCo in Lake Forest told me that Santa Cruz is coming back for a demo day in December some time.
    I was quoting Frorider, hes 6-3, im 6-1 and will be happy on my pre-ordered large carbon Norco Range that will arrive mid Feb! I might hit that demo just cuz. Thanks!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Regarding size, at 6'2" with long arms/legs, the XL Bronson is clearly the proper size for me with a 50mm stem and wide bars. Having previously owned a L, this is abundantly clear.

Man, this bike is awesome. Been off most of the week and gotten several more rides in. Frankly, it keeps getting better. This is the lightest bike of this type I've ever owned and it's magic.

Still trying to get the CCDB-A dialed. I keep backing off both the high- and low-speed compression as the shock is still a little stiff at higher speeds and I'm not using all the travel even on trails like National, with a series of drops and jumps that I would typically use all available travel.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly stoked with this bike for my terrain and style. Off to ride National again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Cool-blue Rhythm Bronson sizing

Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Regarding size, at 6'2" with long arms/legs, the XL Bronson is clearly the proper size for me with a 50mm stem and wide bars. Having previously owned a L, this is abundantly clear.

Man, this bike is awesome. Been off most of the week and gotten several more rides in. Frankly, it keeps getting better. This is the lightest bike of this type I've ever owned and it's magic.

Still trying to get the CCDB-A dialed. I keep backing off both the high- and low-speed compression as the shock is still a little stiff at higher speeds and I'm not using all the travel even on trails like National, with a series of drops and jumps that I would typically use all available travel.

Otherwise, I'm incredibly stoked with this bike for my terrain and style. Off to ride National again.
    I am 6'"1 1/2"" and was torn between the bronson xl and large. I finally pulled the trigger on the large and have been happy with it. I will admit that I run an 80mm stem with an 10 degree raise and an 750mm riser bar due to the climbs in my area and the fact that I tend to ride this bike as an trail bike. I do ride some gnarly steep downhills and 2-3 foot jumps but find that I prefer the longer stem to balance out the climbs with the downhills. That being said, I found the large to be spot on and like riding the smaller size so that I can flick the bike around at will. It seems that 6'1" to 6'2" is the crossover line for these frames and it comes down to personnel preference. It is one great riding bike either way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm 6'3"and I test rode the large with an 80mm stem. The bike handled fine on climbs and on moderate decents. But as soon as it got steep, I felt way too over the bars. Coming from a large Nomad, I know that the large with a 50mm stem will be the fit for me. I like to flick the bike around a bit, too, so something a bit more nimble is my ticket.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Had perhaps my finest run both up AND down National this morning. Tell you, this thing is real. A fantastic rider can ride anything well. A new rider tends to gain skills so quickly that it really doesn't matter what they're riding. But a guy like me, been riding for years, decent fitness, decent technical skillset, a bike like this can be a difference maker.

Super-stoked on this bike. And finally starting to get the shock dialed; about 90% there at this point.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    Had perhaps my finest run both up AND down National this morning. Tell you, this thing is real. A fantastic rider can ride anything well. A new rider tends to gain skills so quickly that it really doesn't matter what they're riding. But a guy like me, been riding for years, decent fitness, decent technical skillset, a bike like this can be a difference maker.

Super-stoked on this bike. And finally starting to get the shock dialed; about 90% there at this point.
    Blatant , I am so happy you got a real updated bike that fits you , it really does make one hell of a difference when you ride a smooth stiff good working bike that fits you , that Pike fork is one huge leap ahead of anything out there , I really love mine , it is a game changer for sure .

That XX1 is addicting and makes me never want a 2x ever again , I am running a 32 front ring , so I know you could run a 32 and be just fine .

Good for you , this is a bike to keep and perfect over the next 3 years and really raise the bar on your riding