mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Do the Conti X-Kings suck around turns or do I?

I'm running a 2.4 X-King up front and I have lost confidence in my traction around turns after several washouts left me eating dirt. Are these light, XC tires prone to washing out up front, or is it me?

My old 26inch HT has much chunkier rubber and I have never experienced these lowsides before, but I do think my overall skills have improved and I'm taking turns faster with more lean than I was doing when on those.
    Last edited by Goldberm; 11-30-2013 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    It is the tire, not you. I HATE XKings. Much better off with the Trail King or Hans Dampf up front. Basically anything will be better than that tire.

mtbr member
    My friend completed the entire Tour Divide with the same Xking without a single issue. It wasnt even brand new when he started. He still has it on his Fargo

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks. This helps. Its a new tire. I'm happy to replace it if it's known to suck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hendricks97 View Post
    My friend completed the entire Tour Divide with the same Xking without a single issue. It wasnt even brand new when he started. He still has it on his Fargo
    Well this complicates things. Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Completing something like the Tour Divide is significantly different than railing corners on a local ride. XKing would be a great tire for that with the low rolling resistance etc. Not many turns though. This link shows some good pictures of the route

The Route | Tour Divide

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Completing something like the Tour Divide is significantly different than railing corners on a local ride. XKing would be a great tire for that with the low rolling resistance etc. Not many turns though. This link shows some good pictures of the route

The Route | Tour Divide
    Yeah, that's a different looking trail altogether. My local trails are a bit more technical.

As quoted from your link.."Generally, road quality is quite good, although you'll find that surfaces range from smooth pavement to rutted dirt, where you'll be thankful that you're riding a mountain bike and not a road bike. "

I can see why the XKings would be fine for that tour.

Thanks for the immediate clarification, Salespunk!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have had similar experiences with the X-King 2.4 up front. It seems to slide, and it did not catch for me on several instances. Actually the Race King provided more reliable cornering for me than the X-king. The Mountain King is another one to look at.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    My X-King 2.4 ProTection has been plenty grippy for XC use up front. I have more than 1000 miles of trail use on that tire. It has the Black Chili compound, not sure if that's the version you're using.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I can speak to the 29" version of the X-King in 2.4, and yes, they suck, but mostly as a front tire. You just can't lean your bike over in a curve with an X-King up front, even in that 2.4 size.
    Another thing about them is, IMO, they run small for their designated size. My X-King in 2.4 was quite feeble in comparison to the Ardent 2.4 that I normally use as a front tire.

I also have a 29er X-King in 2.2 that I've never used, and it really looks to have about the same or even less volume than my 29er Kenda Slant 6 in 2.0 size.
    But the 2.4 HAS found a home; on my back wheel, with the Ardent up front. Seems to be a pretty good combo, there.

The 2.2 I'll likely pass along to somebody, as I can't think of a use for it on my 29er. Maybe somebody of fairly light body weight could use it.

Neither one of them has any designation as to which version they are, so I guess they are just regular old rubber! Fairly light, though. That's what attracted me to them in the first place. That, and the fact that they were in the 'closeout' box in the LBS. Even so, I don't think they were worth it.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post
    Yeah, that's a different looking trail altogether. My local trails are a bit more technical.
    The TD is a uber long dirt road ride. There is minimal trail riding involved.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    My X-King 2.4 ProTection has been plenty grippy for XC use up front. I have more than 1000 miles of trail use on that tire. It has the Black Chili compound, not sure if that's the version you're using.
    You are right about the difference in compounds. I was running the race sport version with black chilli.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    The X-King even in Black Chilli has poor cornering ability, poor braking and poor traction. It's fine on dirt roads and that's pretty much all they should be used for. Look at the cornering knobs on them - soft, fold easily.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    All conti tires until they get as burly as the trail king suck.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

I have been running a 2.4 xKing protection in the rear with a 2.35 Minion dhf up front. I have been very happy with this combo, but I can see the xKing not being the grippiest for front use. I don't mind a slightly loose back end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i had first used the X king 2.2 for my 29er about 2 to 3 years ago, they were pretty decent for my local trail and I normally use them when the trail is less than idea... if it dry and fast flowing, I will go use the Race king which is on my other wheel set.. I had went from Geax AKA 2,2, to Race king 2.2, to X king 2.2. to Racing ralph 2.35 and then I am back to X king 2.2 . I ride pretty aggressive in my group and the only time I left that my front is going to wash out is when the trail is wet and muddy. . ..
    You might want to check on your tire pressure and increase or decrease the PSI to have

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    All conti tires until they get as burly as the trail king suck.
    The MK is good too. The RK is faster than the XK. The XK is mediocre- that's my problem with it
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldberm View Post

My old 26inch HT has much chunkier rubber .
    Haven't you answered your own question?

I ride some trails where x kings are more than adequate . Others where there not.

change is good
    Sep 2004

It's a dry XC tire or a fast damp conditions race tire in the hands of a skilled rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk