Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reelchef67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    388

    diy 650b /26 combo

    Hi has anybody just run a 650B front wheel ? What are the results, thoughts etc.
    Wondering about handling etc...

  2. #2
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by Reelchef67 View Post
    Hi has anybody just run a 650B front wheel ? What are the results, thoughts etc.
    Wondering about handling etc...
    Hey Mr. Reelchef67,

    "Advanced Search" is your friend. Here is my experience:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650...sl-709040.html

    Here is my bike:
    diy 650b /26 combo-michaels-bike-003.jpg

    Bottom line is that I would never go back to 26" on both front and rear regarding AM or Trail. I'm even considering this conversion to my DH bike now that there are wheelsets and tires appropriate for DH riding.

    Good luck with your project!

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Reelchef67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    388

    diy 650b /26 combo

    Thanks bud , face palm search doh
    " I only Ride Enduro'

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Cutbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    328

    2010 Trek Fuel EX 650b/26r

    Yes I agree with michaelsnead, I did this last summer, will never go back.

    Handles bumps, rocks, logs much better. Descends much better. Lose a little in sharps turns but the front end bites in much better so confidence at speed has much improved.

    Got for it! By the way, I did not change my front fork, the wheel fits fine with a 2.10 tire. Fox Fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails diy 650b /26 combo-dsc02977-640x360-.jpg  

    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,447
    650b Hans Damp/Stans Flow EX front, 26" Rubber Queens/Flows rear, fitted to Knolly Chilcotin. Works well and agree with comments above.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    I'm debating doing this with an older 5 Spot that I have. I do wonder whether anyone is running shorter travel forks with the 650b to keep the front end down or whether the slacker headtube angle is perceived as another advantage of the 650b conversion.

    I only wonder, because I remember using this bike many years ago and switching from a 130mm fork to a 140mm fork and not liking how the geometry felt that way. Now I have a choice of either using either a Rock Shox Pike with the travel adjust (at it's lowest setting and with a 650b tire I would get almost back to the original geometry) or a Lefty which would be about a degree slacker than the geometry that I liked. I'm leaning towards the Pike because of the flexibility with the travel adjustment, but I like the Lefty because I can easily restrict the travel with spacers to use any size front tire that I want. Decisions, decisions....

  7. #7
    Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,073
    Quote Originally Posted by TurnerConvert View Post
    I'm debating doing this with an older 5 Spot that I have. I do wonder whether anyone is running shorter travel forks with the 650b to keep the front end down or whether the slacker headtube angle is perceived as another advantage of the 650b conversion.

    I only wonder, because I remember using this bike many years ago and switching from a 130mm fork to a 140mm fork and not liking how the geometry felt that way. Now I have a choice of either using either a Rock Shox Pike with the travel adjust (at it's lowest setting and with a 650b tire I would get almost back to the original geometry) or a Lefty which would be about a degree slacker than the geometry that I liked. I'm leaning towards the Pike because of the flexibility with the travel adjustment, but I like the Lefty because I can easily restrict the travel with spacers to use any size front tire that I want. Decisions, decisions....
    Hey Mr. TurnerConvert,

    This is a non-issue for me since I see the slacker head tube angle as a benefit on the downhills. Conversely the TALAS feature on my Fox 36 160mm fork allows me to steepen the head tube angle by reducing the travel to 140mm. I do use this feature for steep uphill climbs.

    Good luck with your project,

    Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hey Mr. TurnerConvert,

    This is a non-issue for me since I see the slacker head tube angle as a benefit on the downhills. Conversely the TALAS feature on my Fox 36 160mm fork allows me to steepen the head tube angle by reducing the travel to 140mm. I do use this feature for steep uphill climbs.

    Good luck with your project,

    Michael
    This is why the Pike seems like a good option for me. The sad but true fact though is that I tend to be a set-and-forget sort of person; especially when it takes what seems like 10-15 rotations to reduce the travel on my Pike between the minimum and maximum travel settings. And I'm the type that changes it once and then forgets to change it again during the ride. Definitely not the smartest rider on the trail....

    Thanks for the info though - very helpful.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,250
    Have had this set up for for the last couple of years, LOVE IT! It's an even better tight, technical trail bike.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    719
    What exactly are you running - a 5 Spot / Pike combo with a 650b front wheel? I've got one of the original 2004 models with 5.1" of travel and a 69* headtube angle.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: doismellbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,996
    The Pike's a great choice...reliable, decent clearance. I think the travel adjust is more useful for exploring what sort of geometry suits you with the new wheel size, rather than lots of mid ride tweaking, IMO.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,250
    No, I am running a Magura Thor.

    Here's the link to the original post in the Turner forum.

    69'r using 2007 Spot

Similar Threads

  1. 700 combo in place of a 26" combo??
    By scribble79 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 05:27 AM
  3. TRc and HT 29 combo ?
    By scabbyass in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
  4. advice/opinions on my current tire combo, new combo
    By fbabrove in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
  5. BFL/FL combo
    By FrontRanger in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-31-2011, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •