mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Disc or V-Brakes on Old Frame?

So I was thinking about upgrading my old 26in steel mtnbike to 650b, but it only has v-brakes. Anybody familiar with adding discs to a non disc frame or can v-brakes still work with the larger rim on a 27.5?

NedwannaB
    These, or the BMX ones work, top quality and pricey. But the challenge for you will be to find rim brake style "rims". Stan's had the 355's, but not sure they run them anymore. Velocity may still have rim style hoops.

Unless it's a special/heirloom or Ti frame you'll be into these parts big $$ along with the wheel builds, disc brakes etc for a lot more than having a disc mount tab added from a builder.

Motolite from Paul Component Engineering
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Awesome! Thanks for the info. This build will be just something ongoing...aside from wheels, it will also be a single speed conversion.

mtbr member
    I think problem solvers has bolt on disc caliper mounts. Having said that, the motolites are the way to go. I built some Velocity Synergys for the wife with disc hubs so she could go either way. I think the Dyad has a machined sidewall too. Good luck
    Last edited by dbhammercycle; 12-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yea think I may stick with the original setup on the brakes. It's been hard finding a fork with suspension that has both v and disc brake mounts (and 27.5 doesn't exist). I found some rigid ones though by Trigon. And since this bike will be strictly xc, it just might work out. Thx again!

mtbr member
    You can find some older sus forks that have both brake mounts, but fitting the larger wheel and tire is still an issue. I use a rigid Salsa cromoto 425 a-c and it has both mounts, but I only use the disc for the 650b for the ease of conversion and the ease of rim choice. Good luck and have fun with your tinkering!
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Will do! Any thoughts on tubeless tires? I wonder if they will clear.

mtbr member
    There are some differences between brands and the actual tire size vs the listed tire size. However, a 2.0 is gonna be about a 2.0 regardless of tube or tubeless. The big differences will be weight and some claim an increased durability or resistance to punctures. Certainly, no more pinch flats with tubeless.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I contacted Wheelbuilder about an MSW wheel build and they don't think tubeless rims exist for vbrake style rims, but they said Stan's Notubes kit may do the trick...b/c tubeless = win.