Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Did you switch from a 29er ?

What 29er where you riding ? Is there anything you miss about the 29er ? What do you like most about the 650b ?

mtbr member
    Airborne Goblin - great bike.

Built up a rigid steel 650b and love it. Would not go back to 29, but that is just me.
    2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Rocky Mountain Altitude 730
    2013 Pipedream Sirius R853 - 650b

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Im in the process of switching. My Tallboy is outgoing and bronson frame in hand awaiting fork.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    Im in the process of switching. My Tallboy is outgoing and bronson frame in hand awaiting fork.
    TB outgoing, as in?

Considering one. Just curious. Have a 650B El Bastardo myself.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

orthonormal
    I replaced a Specialized Epic 29 with a RM Altitude and have no regrets whatsoever. The Altitude is a better smooth terrain climber, a much better technical climber, and so much better descending that a comparison is absurd. Much of the improvement is due to geometry and suspension differences rather than wheel size, though.

I still have my 8 year old Ventana El Commandante 29er SS, though. I have no interest in a smaller wheel size for singlespeeding, where it's all about momentum on the steeper climbs. The bigger wheels are a real help in maintaining momentum when I'm climbing over roots and rocks.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    I still have my Tracer 29 but my Tracer 275 gets all the saddle time.
    I like the geometry, standover, plush ride and fun handling of the 275 better. the 29rs most glaring fault for me is the steap head angle and long stays make the front change direction quickly and the back eng changes direction a bit slower; like multiple personalities. The 275 has my favored geometry from the 26rs with more stability and 6" of travel!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I replaced a Specialized Epic 29 with a RM Altitude and have no regrets whatsoever. The Altitude is a better smooth terrain climber, a much better technical climber, and so much better descending that a comparison is absurd. Much of the improvement is due to geometry and suspension differences rather than wheel size, though.

I still have my 8 year old Ventana El Commandante 29er SS, though. I have no interest in a smaller wheel size for singlespeeding, where it's all about momentum on the steeper climbs. The bigger wheels are a real help in maintaining momentum when I'm climbing over roots and rocks.
    Interesting, andy. One would think the Epic would win out over the climbing you mentioned, but with the type of bike the Altitude is, the descending advantage makes sense. I too have a 29 SS, and a converted 650B SS also (tho I don't quite have the cockpit setup right yet) have to agree on the bigger wheels even with their wagon wheel issues have an advantage with the momentum thing.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-14-2013 at 03:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

usually cranky
    my 29 stumpy broke, been on my 150mm 26, liking it better. might give 650b a go.

mtbr member
    I had numerous 29ers over the last 4 years. I switched from a kHs flagstaff and the 650 is a better bike in every aspect.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Interesting, andy. One would think the Epic would win out over the climbing you mentioned, but with the type of bike the Altitude is, the descending advantage makes sense. I too have a 29 SS, and a converted 650B SS also (tho I don't quite have the cockpit setup right yet) have to agree on the bigger wheels even with their wagon wheel issues have an advantage with the momentum thing.
    It was a surprise to me but then again, I had been underwhelmed by the Epic for quite a while and rarely rode it any more because I felt so much faster on the SS. I kept the brain threshold set low so even though it only had 90 mm travel, it felt a bit sluggish under power. With the brain threshold set higher, it wasn't all that much better than a hardtail.

Also, the Altitude is less than 1/2 lb. heavier (it's the 790 MSL) and is just a stellar climber. I think people looking for 120 mm travel 650B bikes would be blown away by the Altitude, especially in the steeper angled/more linear linkage rate settings. Mine is in one of the slacker/more progressive settings and I notice that the suspension moves more under power now than it did in the neutral setting but it descends and soaks up bigger hits better this way.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    my 29 stumpy broke, been on my 150mm 26, liking it better. might give 650b a go.
    Seatstay?

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    I had three niners - Paragon HT, RIP9 and then Superfly 100 Carbon. Each was a great bike at what they were designed for. My riding has evolved into lots of steeps, drops and chunk with twisty singletrack on a regular basis. The niners are too slow to change direction and climbing steeps is a pain. My carbine 275 does everything exceptionally well. Only drawback is smaller contact patch and doesn't hold momentum as well.

These are small differences though and the balance and playfulness of the 275 wheels is perfect for me at 5ft 8. I might own another niner if it can change direction as easy as my Carbine and handle just as well. The rollover of the wagon wheels is a great advantage.

mtbr member
    I agree with Throttlemire's sentiments. I recently sold a Sultan for a Carbine 275. The Carbine is more fun. However I do notice the momentum issue once and awhile. That said, I'm still undecided between it and my Yelli Screamy 29er hard tail as it is as much fun and as capable as the Carbine on most trails.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sold my tallboy carbon for a bronson carbon. Haven't looked back. The difference downhill as well as rocky chunk is unreal. Only place tallboy was better was rolling desert trails. I ride more all mt stuff so 275 bronson is better for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Never been on a 29r and don't think I'd ever want to since my first tires on my Carbine 275 were almost 28" tall WTB Wolverines which I ditched for some RR tiers that measure 27.5" exactly. Only a half inch but the WTB tires made the bike feel a bit awkward as compared to the RR tires, tread may also have something to do with it. Did notice, on my first ride which has a very technical climb with switchbacks on rocky sections, that I couldn't get the bike around like I'm used to with my 26" bikes and failed the climb twice. It's also early in the season though and I typically don't start making that climb normally until mid-late June.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    That said, I'm still undecided between it and my Yelli Screamy 29er hard tail as it is as much fun and as capable as the Carbine on most trails.
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Yelli or going FS. I know FS would be more comfortable, but I have nothing against fun on a HT either. Do you use clips or flat pedals? (I ask because I use flats and its harder to keep my feet connected on a HT than FS...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Yelli or going FS. I know FS would be more comfortable, but I have nothing against fun on a HT either. Do you use clips or flat pedals? (I ask because I use flats and its harder to keep my feet connected on a HT than FS...)
    personnaly i'm seling my 26" fs Am and keeping the yelli..its just so much fun to ride..this is the one 29er that would not neccessairly want me to go smaller in wheel size.
    i will get another fully eventually but i really dont know if it will be 650b or 29er geometry have evolved a lot in the 29er side ... most of the 29 mentionned here so far have the "old school" geometry wich tend to emphasis the bad traits of the 29er wheel. newer design minimise that.

i'm not against any wheel size, i'm just debating from my experience
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

jrm
    mtbr member
    I rode a Turner Sultan FS that was later converted to 650b (badly). I kinda miss how the sultan just grinded and crawled over stuff on technical climbs. For this 5'8.5" guy a 650b FS bike has a bigger fun factor then the 29 FS. I still have a rigid Niner EMD that i like a lot.
    Wreck the malls with cows on Harleys

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had 26ers for years. I tried 650b & was sold on the larger wheel so I thought 29er would be the next step in the right direction. Personally the 29er wasn't more of a good thing. Though it held better momentum & rollover it felt sluggish accelerating and the bike was harder to get the front wheel up. I eventually built a long travel 26er (100mm travel now) using a 29er front wheel and 650b rear wheel. The bike has that nice anti endo front wheel but accelerates & lifts because of the smaller rear wheel.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    yes.
    “Those that say it can’t be done should get out of the way of those doing it.”

PacentiCycleDesign

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I use clips. That said, the only time I wish for suspension on the Yelli is when the trail is fast and littered with braking bumps or cross-ruts from rain. The best of both worlds is to have a nice FS bike and a low budget Yelli. I have about $1K inot my Yelli. I picked up the frame used for $450, a Marz Micro Ti fork new on Huck N Roll for $280, Dt Swiss 430 wheels on eBay for $100 and then parts from my part bin. It is not fancy, but is as fun as my expensive Carbine.
    Turner Sultan
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Ducati M1100s
    Husaberg TE 250
    KTM 300
    RD 400

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've typically had two bikes (mtn) to choose from. An XC hardtail and a trail bike. A couple yrs back I replaced the old 26" Klein XC bike with a 2011 Specialized stumpjumper expert carbon 29r (a stunningly beautiful bike!) and fought it for a year trying to get it sorted out to my liking.

During the yr I had it I tried different configurations in the cockpit with different bars, stem angle, changed the travel of the fork, moved the saddle around to adjust the weighting of the tires, changed the tires and nothing I did made the bike behave. Towards the end some local guys were suggesting I get wider bars to try to get it to turn but at that point I'd changed the whole front end already and was sick of chasing the problem.
    In the end I resigned myself that it just wasn't for me.**

For me it just handled like a buick and if I tried to hamfist it into turning it would understeer then the front tire would either wash or grab. Sometimes it would grab so it abruptly it would burp the tire. Once I tore the tire off the rim.

Because the bike was basically no damn fun, I was choosing the trail bike so often the 29r was gathering dust. The trail bike was 650b front 26 back, and since has been replaced (broke frame) with another trail bike. (Knolly endorphin 650 front 26 back). The 29r has been sold and my next XC HT bike will very likely be the Ritchey 650b.

** If I was doing long distance races, or maybe riding smooth flowy trails with good sight lines and no need for responsiveness the 29r would be appropriate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yep...old bike Salsa Dos Niner XL...new bike Jamis Nemesis XL...old bike felt like a couch, had a 72 degree head angle, long stays, always felt difficult to control on twisty trails...new bike: buttah...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about it. I currently ride a '11 RIP 9. Before that I had a Banshee Paradox. Both were L frames, I'm 6'3 205lbs. I love the RIP 9, but it does feel like it's missing a little nimbleness and this has started to bother me as of late as my riding is progressing. A buddy mentioned these to me and said they would probably be the perfect compromise.

Currently have my eye on the Norco Sight Killer B. Hopefully within the next year I will make the switch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've owned at least one bike of all three wheel sizes. I'm never going back to 26", won't do 29ers again. I agree with the momentum of the 29ers, but the other traits I can't stand the slower steering, awful handling in the tight stuff, slow acceleration. 27.5 just works better for m e everywhere, I'm mostly a xc, light trail rider, on a singlespeed and a converted SC Blur XCc. The Blur is the best bike I've ever ridden and my ss is a great ride too. I can't believe some claiming that 29ers climb better, I never found that to be true, the fact is on a 29er, you have that rotational weight thing working against you on climbs, something I can't see anyone overcoming on the majority of climbs.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast