Dummy
    Aug 2013

Did I make the right choice?

I have ordered a trek remedy 7. It is due to come in by December. I plan on using it for trail/am stuff and would like to maybe start breaking into some dh stuff as well.

Seemed like the right bike for me. 19.5 frame, 650b wheel set, drcv rear, and rock shox revelation rl fork.

mtbr member
    nope it was a terrible choice. Worst choice ever. Promptly return the bike, buy some lycra and a tri bike, then ride on over to Starbucks. Then all will be right as rain.

mtbr member
    I rode a 18.5" rememdy with 650b on saturday and really liked it.

Chad

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Like others have said on here, if you already bought the bike it's a little late to asking if it will be right for you.

Sounds like what you are looking for I guess. I am going to Demo one this Sunday and I will report back with what I think. I have my eye on this bike as well as a few others.

Not sure I want that much travel but we shall see.

I rode a Pivot mach 6 this weekend which is a 155mm of travel that rode like a dream and climbed surprisingly well.

mtbr member
    sh!t no dude, awesome bike if you need that much travel, the only "mistake" might have been in not ordering the 8 in order to get a better equipped bike.
    The 8 says it has SLX brakes, more XT stuff with shadow plus rear der, and 12x142 rear. If the 7 doesn't have a 12x142 rear that's a substantial difference in a 140mm bike in my opinion. I think if you could negotiate yourself into an 8 for only another $300 or so its definitely worth the premium for the better components and 12x142 rear axle.

just my $.02 but great bike regardless
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    sh!t no dude, awesome bike if you need that much travel, the only "mistake" might have been in not ordering the 8 in order to get a better equipped bike.
    The 8 says it has SLX brakes, more XT stuff with shadow plus rear der, and 12x142 rear. If the 7 doesn't have a 12x142 rear that's a substantial difference in a 140mm bike in my opinion. I think if you could negotiate yourself into an 8 for only another $300 or so its definitely worth the premium for the better components and 12x142 rear axle.

just my $.02 but great bike regardless
    X2 what Madsedan said. Get the 8 if you can possibly swing it.

I think these new Remedy 650's are gonna be sweet. Just looked at one of their new Remedy 29'ers and that was a darn nice looking bike.

Dummy
    Aug 2013
    I could still order the 8 I suppose. Didn't really budget for it being my first fs bike and all. But regarding madsedan ill compare the specs. I'm not sure if the rear axle is different. Anyhow component upgrades can be done along the way as I see fit if I'm not correct.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    With as little as you put in your original post, how the hell do you expect a serious answer?

Even if you put in you height, weight, where you ride, what you ride, no one can tell you if it's the right bike for you. Most of these threads end up with stupid responses basically equaling I ride and love bike A so it's best for you.

You need to go demo a few bikes and see what feels right to you. I had an FSR bike, after demoing a VPP bike I realized how much I didn't like the FSR suspension.

Did you even ride the bike you ordered to make sure you got the right size?
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

Dummy
    Aug 2013
    Thing is I already upped my price for the 7.

Dummy
    Aug 2013
    Yea I rode the bike. It was a 26" wheel though. Fit is good. I was mainly curious as to how far people have pushed the remedy at the dh stuff ie noticeable limitations and such.
    I also know I'm getting the 650b wheel size and as of yet it's not in stock so I guess that's really the only thing that could bite me. But it seems like that wheel size is where it's all going if you want smaller than a 29er.

mtbr member
    Holy crap! This is your first bike? I officially hate you...

Great bike. I've been rallying a 140 275 bike for a few years now and really, really like it. For my riding, I would have gone with the Slash. The extra stiffness and weight of the Slash would be more in my personal sweet spot.

140 275 for racing xc and endurance, 160 275 for bike park and dh (with the right tires).

I think the Slash 7 is *the* bike. Pike up front, 160, 275. Needs dropper. 142x12. And go 1x instead of 2x.

Enjoy the bike. Enjoy learning. It's the most exciting part of mtn biking.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

Dummy
    Aug 2013
    Not really my first bike but first full suspension. I have started to destroy my hard tail. Think if all goes well with the remedy next year ill be looking at a session or slash. Probably session though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Not sure if you've seen this, but it could help point you in the right direction as far as the differences in features are concerned. I'd go with 8 and up on either model to get the 142x12 and thicker stanchions. However, I do weigh 200 pounds so I am biased towards extra burliness, and ordered a Slash 8.

Did I make the right choice?-650b-trek-comparisons.png

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I just demo'd the 9.8 today and it was an extremely fun bike. Better than expected climber and really fun downhill riding. Had a blast and this bike just made my short list.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    U gave us the frame size but not your height and inseam? How are we to know if that is right or not?

When I demoed Giant 27.5 stuff I ended up finding out that medium was too small, and Large was perfect. I hope u test rode or demoed one of these!

mtbr member
    I just went and talked to my lbs yesterday about this bike. Since I'm only 5'5" the 27.5 is like a 29er to me. Once they hit the lbs floors I want to find one in a small that I can test ride. My lbs is a small shop so he said he would not have one in my size for a floor model. Please give us feedback once you receive it. I'm in the same boat. I have a Windsor fs and want to upgrade to this bike.

Dummy
    Aug 2013
    I will update when I gets it for sure. As for my inseam, I don't really know. Probably bout 33" +\-. I just test rode the 26 version and a 29 ex the large size felt good.