mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Davinci troy vs knolly warden

I'm in a hard place trying to decide which bike I want to go with. Has anyone had any seat time on these bikes. Love to hear about it.

Dissolved member
    No one has ridden on a production Warden, yet. You have to wait for a couple of months.

mtbr member
    KRob has at least had a brief ride on one of the pre-production Wardens and ridden a Troy. One of the riders at the recent Knolly-fest got to ride a pre-production Warden for a reasonable amount of time.

Some Warden thoughts are captured here:

Knollfest: WARDEN Edition

I would not expect production Wardens to hit the trails until Feb/Mar 2014.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Two great looking bikes, high on my consideration set too. I'm getting the feeling the Warden may be a little beefier than the Troy in purpose, but we'll see when more ride reports start coming in.

mtbr member
    Almost the same boat as me, only Warden or carbon Range. So many great choices these days in the 27.5 market. A few things about the Troy's looks bother me, the front triangle looks a bit odd & nothing flows with that link. I am also not a fan of gloss carbon. Split pivot vs 4x4, hmmmm...The Warden looks killer, hope to get a demo soon.

mtbr member
    I would agree with SoCalRx with regard to the Warden feeling a bit beefier/AM but I didn't get to ride the Troy on any gnarly trails. On the trail I did ride it on, my impression was that it was fast, and poppy. Almost like a shorter travel Solo/5010. It felt like it might handle the rough chunk nearly as well as the Bronson and Warden. If that's so, it will be a tough one to beat.

I only had a brief ride down Huckaby trail in Sedona on a Warden whose suspension was set up for someone weighing a good 40-50lbs more than me so no real good input there other than it felt sold, flex free, balanced, and fit me very well. I'm not sure it would stand and hammer and feel as lively/poppy as the Troy even when set up light with carbon wheels etc like the Troy I rode was. But set up can really change the feel of a bike so I won't say it wouldn't either.

Of the 27.5" 140-150mm trail bikes I've ridden, I'd say the Burner felt most like the Warden. These two don't come in Carbon (yet) so if that's a thing that interests you, look at the Troy or Sight or Altitude.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Exactly the 2 bikes I am looking at, love the idea of a snappy pedaler like the Troy, but the Warden geo is dialed.

I know nothing of Knolly's, How do they pedal?? I want a bike that accelerates quickly

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Troy for sure. Carbon, Dlink with a life time warranty

mtbr member
    One issue I looked at when picking a new bike was the BB height. Folks buying new FS bikes that have the low to mid 13" BB's here on our rocky rooty trails are reporting lots of pedal strikes. To the point where more than one is looking at using shorter cranks than they would normally run.

That got me focused on bikes with higher BB's [my current bike has a 14" BB which I like for lack of pedal strikes]. The Warden had one of the higher options at 13.7" BB height and a 13.2" low setting as well. That made me happy and helped steer me that way.

Might not matter as much depending where you ride, but for me it was significant.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Thanks for the insight guys ! If I went for the aluminum frame would the poppy feeling be lost ? Or does it more have to do with the geo and DW rear end.

mtbr member
    It is really the suspension more than anything that changes that feeling

mtbr member
    As a super happy owner of a Troy, I can tell you that it's fantastic (it better be, I bought it!)

In short, it climbs extremely well and descends just as well. The suspension gives you traction, all the time. I built mine up custom with a Pike up front, and I highly recommend that. It's a prefect compliment to the rear end. Every bump, small to large is sucked up and it plain hauls a$$. One thing I'm noticing is how balanced I feel on the bike, no matter what, I'm always in position. Also, the slow speed rock crawling is exceptional, just sit and spin.

Vikb is right about the BB height, it's kinda low. It's not a deal breaker, but something to keep in mind, because you will get pedal strikes, but not so many that it will kill your buzz. My last bike had a low BB, so I'm used to compensating for that.

I wish I could tell you about the Warden, and I know several folks around here that ride Knolly's and swear by them. What I've heard about the 4x4 is only good. I think it will come down to bike fit, because both bikes are killer. Also, the lifetime warranty on the Troy was a selling point, so keep that in mind if, like everyone, you've broken frames in the past.

Stark, feel free to PM if you have any more questions about the Troy, I'm more than happy to gush.

mtbr member
    I'll chime in about the Troy as well. One of the things I look for in a bike is how it uses its travel - What I love about the Troy is that it only uses as much suspension as it needs to get over obstacles no matter how big or small. As a result it feels very composed in every situation, studder bumps, medium hits and just full on high speed gnar. I'm also very impressed with the Troy in how it handles the steep (and I mean steep) rooty trails hear in the Pacific Northwest.

If your torn because the Troy does not have 160mm PM me and I'll let you in on a little secret.

With that being said the Warden is a great looking bike and I see a lot of Knolly's where I ride so I'm sure it would be a solid bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curbhuck View Post

I know nothing of Knolly's, How do they pedal?? I want a bike that accelerates quickly
    I like the way the Knolly 4x4 suspension works, especially in how it stays active while pedalling chunky terrain, clawing out tractin on loose climbs, and feeling plush and active on rough descents even while braking. The one thing you give up a little with the 4x4 compared to say DW link bikes is fast, snappy acceleration. They can be set up to be fairly firm while standing and hammering and with the DBAir CS you can always add some platform, but that's not what I'd call their strong suit. Not that they bob terribly while standing and mashing and they certainly stay stable, bob-free while sitting and spinning, just not as firm and "anti-squat" as the dw-link... or even the VPP imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GFreak View Post
    I'll chime in about the Troy as well. One of the things I look for in a bike is how it uses its travel - What I love about the Troy is that it only uses as much suspension as it needs to get over obstacles no matter how big or small. As a result it feels very composed in every situation, studder bumps, medium hits and just full on high speed gnar. I'm also very impressed with the Troy in how it handles the steep (and I mean steep) rooty trails hear in the Pacific Northwest.

If your torn because the Troy does not have 160mm PM me and I'll let you in on a little secret.

With that being said the Warden is a great looking bike and I see a lot of Knolly's where I ride so I'm sure it would be a solid bike.
    you summed it up perfectly.