mtbr member

dakar xlt 2005 with seat stay brace removed.

me likes!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dakar xlt 2005 with seat stay brace removed.-photo.jpg  

Uncle
    Wow, that looks sweet! Dakars have always seemed so vanilla, but the 650b wheel addition certainly perks this up a bit. These frames seem to show up at pretty affordable $$$ too. Hmmm....
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    Yup, rides pretty nice as well. Think I will pony up for some Stan's crest wheels soon. I bought the wheels on eBay pretty cheap. They are weinmans/deore combo. They do the job but not performance oriented and a little heavy. Gonna throw in 2-3 months of heavy bashing, if all still goes well will upgrade wheels which should really make a big difference. Again the seat stay brace must be removed for this to work. I am sure this would be discouraged by Jamis. That being said the Parker frame which is very similar does not have the brace at all so I am thinking game on! Will keep the group posted on how it holds up. Felt pretty darn good on her first test drive.

Uncle
    I don't see why someone couldn't fashion a replacement brace that accommodates a larger diameter wheel, but perhaps more trouble than it's worth. I don't have a garage, let alone a CNC machine. Worst case scenario, one could get an post-mount brake booster plate and drill and grind until it does the job.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

mtbr member
    I thought the same thing..even had a machine shop make me a really nice one. The problem is that if you use the bolt holes in the seat stay, for a custom brace it will clear the tire but hit your seat tube on full compression. One option might be to place the brace on the underside of the seat stays, but that would require some drilling...that had me a little nervous. If I find a good deal on another Dakar I might pick it up for some experimentation. For now goin without the brace.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the info. The 2005 Jamis Daker XLT is a prime candidate for 650b wheels. I mounted Alex XD Lite 650b Wheels and Kenda Nevegal 650bx2.1 tires. With the rear wheel mounted I have plenty of clearance with the cross brace in place. The front wheel fit my Marzocchi MX Comp (120mm of travel) with plenty of clearance and no chance of the tire hitting the under side of the crown.
    Last edited by commuter Guy; 02-15-2012 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Wow! That is great!
    There had to be some sort of variability in these frames when they left the factory. There was no way the weinmans and quasi motos would have fit. although with the brace removed the frame rocks the 650b wheels. Glad it is working for you. If you get a chance could you post a pic or two? Would love to see how our frames compare. There has to be some small variable that explains this.
    Pete

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

2005 Jamis Dakar XLT 650b Conversion

My frame is a basic XLT (17") and yours is the XLT 2.0 which may explain the difference.

Since the frame, fork and tires are black, it may be difficult to see the actual clearance, but it is ample and I don't anticipate any problems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dakar xlt 2005 with seat stay brace removed.-jamis1.jpg  

dakar xlt 2005 with seat stay brace removed.-jamis2.jpg  

dakar xlt 2005 with seat stay brace removed.-jamis3.jpg