mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Custom Rim Brake Build

Hi All -

Brand newbie here.

I want to build an ultralight xc hardtail and looking for recommendations. I want a 650b FRAME in carbon, titanium, or scandium that is compatible with rim brakes. Does anyone know of such A FRAME? (FYI I ride about a 16.5 - 17" frame.)

Just because I know you're all going to give me crap, I want rim brakes because I weigh 105 lbs., and I'm building an ultralight bike, so I just don't need a lot of stopping power. Plus, living in New Mexico, I rarely ride in wet, muddy conditions.

Thank you!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Rim selection (or, to be more accurate, lack thereof) is going to mean your rim brake setup will be heavier than a nice disc setup anyway, just go disc. You will not find any 650b production frames for rim brakes. Heck, I'm struggling to think of any 29" or 26" ones either...

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The only new rim I can think of is the PL23, and that's more of a road/CX rim. ~400g.

You could try to source some old ZTR 355's, but then your stuck with nothing when those rims wear out.

I would source an old frame with V-brakes and make it work some some adapters.

I'd personally go disc. Even people that weigh 105lbs need better modulation........maybe you could go 140 front and rear to an ultimate weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I fully support your preference for rim brakes.

If you are willing to pay for a custom frame I don't see why it would be a problem to get the brake mounts added.

If you plan on having a front suspension fork, that could be more of an issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    They do make them in 29ers. The Voodoo Bokor or the Astrix Rook frames are a possibility (because they're aluminum,) but I wanted to see if there's anything else lighter. (My post was actually asking for frame recommendations, not rim recommendations.)

Also, a set of Stans rims (discontinued, I'd be searching online) called the ZTR 355 is about 800g for the pair and can do rim brakes.

So are you sure I'm necessarily looking at more weight? Thanks Walt.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Yes, I am sure. The 355s are pretty light but they're A) discontinued, and B) heavier than quite a few disc-specific options now. Can you manage to scrounge up enough old high end rim brake parts to save 50g? Sure. Will you regret it in a year or two? Probably.

If you just inherently don't like disc brakes, that's a legit reason to do this, but weight really is not. Plus, if you go the disc route, you can pick out a frame that is light AND a geometry that suits you (which is WAY more important), instead of letting the brakes determine everything about your frame choice.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My 650b bikes are all rim-braked; the mtb is using v-brakes. However, as a Rivendell, it's lugged steel... I'm not counting ounces on it.

Actually, I would suggest you consider something like a Rawland Sogn if you can locate one, or, maybe get ahold of Spooky: http://www.spookybikes.com/custom

Good luck...

-L

mtbr member
    Velocity makes a couple of rim-braked rim options. I've used Synergies with 2.3 Neomotos without issue. They are a bit heavier than 355s but are readily available and made for rim brakes whereas 355's are mainly for disc brakes. Frankly, i wouldn't trust them to work that well or last with rim brakes.

If rim brakes are what you want, stick to your guns. There's nothing wrong with them. Even if they don't save you much weight, the simplicity, cost and user-service-ability make them a valid choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pacenti makes some 650b rim-braked rims, but yes, all of mine are Velocity. Synergy on the Bombadil, but also on my rando, I'm running their A23 in 650b, too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
    Pacenti makes some 650b rim-braked rims, but yes, all of mine are Velocity. Synergy on the Bombadil, but also on my rando, I'm running their A23 in 650b, too.
    Yeah, I have a set of A23's on my Rawland Stag-nice rims. I got them from Longleaf cycles but I think he's out of them. Tho I read that Boulder/Herse bicycles might get some in. I also have a set of Pacenti PL23's-nice road rims but they're mighty light for trail use-dunno if they'd be up to it.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Disks are lighter, and there is a larger selection to choose from.
    Don't do rim brakes, you will end up with a heavier bike than you want.
    There are no carbon frames with rim brake dropouts in my knowledge, and definitely no good forks (RockShox Recon Gold and up).
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!

the new Gilbert Grape
    As others have said the Velocity Synergy is a nice rim, but it's not super light (but not that heavy). The bigger issue will be with a fork. If you wan tot go rigid, no problem. If you want a suspension fork you'll need to have disc brakes.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.