mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Custom 650b wheels, Lefty

I am looking for best combination to made my own custom wheelset. I have bought two BOR (FRM) XMD 333 rims in 32 holes pattern. Now I am looking for the best quality cheap hubs and spokes.

For rear hub I have found as a good option the Novatec 712 hub because quality seems very good and weight is almost the same as DT 240S. For Lefty hub I think I will buy a Cannondale standard 107gr weight hub (it seems to be the best option).

Looking for spokes is a tough task. If you were I what spokes do you use ? DT Aerolite, Sapim Laser, Super Spokes, CX RAY, maybe CN Spoke Mac Aero? What is the best brand to get a stiff, light wheel ? Sapim seems the best...

I am average 70 kg weight.

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i haven't tried dtswiss spokes just because i think sapim aluminum nipples are better. but when it comes down to needing an even or odd length spoke. sapim charge more for even length and dt charge more for odd length.

mtbr member
    If you're trying to balance weight, stiffness, and cost in spokes then 14ga double butted is probably the way to go. Straight ga will be cheapest and stiffest, but heavy.... bladed, elliptical, or super butted spokes will be expensive and in lighter gauges will be some of the least stiff. 14ga (2.0mm) double butted are strong, economical, reasonably light, and will have very high fatigue strength. I prefer Wheelsmith over DT for the more beautiful finish, better shaped elbow, obvious butt transition, and they're butted slightly thinner (1.7mm vs 1.8) so they're a bit lighter in a given length.

Just a flesh wound
    I had mine laced up with the Sapim triple butted. The CDale Lefty hub is high quality. I have never had an issue with mine. For a rear hub, you might have a look at Velocity. I have over 2,000 miles on mine. Recently replaced bearings, very easy. I ride in New England. Lots of wet, rocks, roots etc...
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Cannondale Lefty hub is best bang for the buck, I use Sapim Race and Laser spokes, the Race is easier to work with. Sapim nipples are fine. Lots of decent rear hubs out there, the Novatecs are good, Velocity also, just don't try to go too lightweight, durability will be an issue on the lower-priced hubs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I used DT spokes on about all of my custom wheel builds, using the Revolution spokes on most. I weigh about the same as you, but I'm fairly easy on my wheels. I have a pair of 26ers wheels built with a AM Classic rear hub, C-Dale front, Mavic 819 rims DR Revolution spokes, the wheel weigh is 1330 grams, theses used to be my race wheel set back in 2002-2005, they never went out of true. I still used them today on my commuter bike and their still holding up.
    I think you have to look at your riding style, your history of your wheels in the past and decide what you need, if your hard on wheels, don't go for a super light build, if you never had problems with smashing wheels, then you probably can go for the lighter wheels.

mtbr member
    FWIW, stiffness in the wheel is far more dependent on the rim used than it is on spoke gauge. I've got some Derby 40mm wide carbon rims which are HELLA stiff, laced with Wheelsmith XL14 spokes that are butted down to 1.5mm in the center....very thin... and these wheels are VERY VERY stiff. The only downside to these spokes in a wheel like this are that they cost more and require a little bit more care during the build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    FWIW, stiffness in the wheel is far more dependent on the rim used than it is on spoke gauge. I've got some Derby 40mm wide carbon rims which are HELLA stiff, laced with Wheelsmith XL14 spokes that are butted down to 1.5mm in the center....very thin... and these wheels are VERY VERY stiff. The only downside to these spokes in a wheel like this are that they cost more and require a little bit more care during the build.
    I highly recommend DT spokes and nipples, look at SuperComp or Revolution, those will be great for a mtb wheelset. And Cannondale hub is the correct choice for lefty unless you NEED bling. Cheap, light, good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice comments!
    I have bought Lefty Hub (Qwerty Cycles ? Cannondale Lefty Hub 32 Hole QC082) and Novatec 712 rear hub and two BOR (FRM) XMD 333 rims. Now I am looking for spoke dimensions.

Lefty hub is supossed to have next dimmensions:
    right flange 45mm
    right to center 31.6 mm
    left flange 58mm
    left center 18.4 mm
    So using rim ERD (567mm) spokes should be 263 and 269. Now I can't find 263 mm spokes

Also, does someone know noatec hub dimmensions ? I only know flange dims 58/49