Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004

Custom 650b frame

So I have a set of the Sun Charger 650b wheels and a set of Kirk's Neo Motos so I suppose it is time to start doing something with them. The Ventana 650b 4" travel rear assembly should be here in a couple of weeks so in the meantime I started cutting up some tubes and seeing what's what. Still a lot to do but not bad headway for an afternoon.

Shamrock Cycles- Hand built frames from the mountains of Indiana.

mtbr member
    Going to spec a White Brothers 650b specific fork for it?

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    In an ideal world, yes. But, without knowing the A-C length for the WB 650b specific, I used a Fox 130mm fork as specs. I have one in the shop and it works with the 650b wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Very cool, will be neat to see this built up. I was just checking out your site. I build old cars and eco-friendly 4WDs for a hobby with a lot of metal work... Since I recently got obsessed with MTB about a year ago and have been exploring frame building and have always loved geometry, the only math class I always got A's in I have a feeling someday maybe later in my life when I am retired or something like that (I'm only 29) I'll get into frame building, if I am patient enough to resist getting into it now. This gentleman recently moved to and is planning to set up shop in the neighboring town where my vehicle building shop is. http://www.edwincycles.com/ We have a pretty good collection of welders and metal guys who are all great interesting guys and do killer work, hopefully we can get hgim plugged in an I can hopefully resist the tempation for some custom frames...

mtbr member
    Get her finished before St. Patrick's day!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    St. Patrick's Day might be a tall order. Largely depends upon when the rear assembly darkens my door.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    In an ideal world, yes. But, without knowing the A-C length for the WB 650b specific, I used a Fox 130mm fork as specs. I have one in the shop and it works with the 650b wheels.
    What will your HT angle be with the 130mm Fox? And will you run it as 5" in front and 4" in back with the Ventana rear end?

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    The A-C length I used was 490mm and 20% sag of 130mm of travel. That gives me a 70 degree head angle. 4" travel in the rear.

mtbr member
    Should be nice! what tubing are you utilizing for the front triangle?

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Pacenti HM 31.8 ST, Zona 31.8 TT , Deda 38mm 9/6/9 DT. External sleeving on the ST along with ample gusseting at the DT/HT junction.

Not sure what the total frame weight will be but it will be somewhere between 4 and 12 pounds.

mtbr member
    4.5 pounds for the whole frame or just the front triangle portion? If that's for the whole fame - Amazingly awesome!!

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Actually that was a joke. Frame weight will probably fall in the 6.5 to 7 pound range. Just a hunch.

Sail On!
    Sure would be great if we could see some more work in progress pix.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Probably won't do a whole lot more to it until the rear assembly arrives but I will take plenty of photos of the build along the way. I can also take some more pics of what I have so far and post them up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    "4-12 lbs, should hopefully be somewhere in this range"

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Got a call from Theresa over at Ventana to let me know my 650b rear assembly will be here tomorrow. Hoping to make some headway on the frame over the weekend and will report back after that. I'll take plenty of pics along the way.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta
    The 650B 130mm WB fork is within 10mm A-to-C lenght of a 130 Fox.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    The downside to the WB 130 fork is that it is only available in thru-axle and my Charger wheels are QR hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you call and order direct they should be able to do QR for you. Takes a few weeks though...

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Update. I ended up going for the 5" travel option and changing the frame angles. Head tube is 70.5 degrees and seat tube is 73 degrees.

Lower pivot

Rocker arm pivot and gusset

Full frame mock-up

mtbr member
    Lookin good!

Geritol Power
    Nice garage Tim. Gonna be good to see the finished product Thanks for sharing the construction picts.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Brazed up the seat tube pivot mount to the gusset. Now all that is left is to braze this onto the seat tube, add the lower shock mount, braze in the top tube, file and clean up the fillets, paint, and build it and ride it.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I'm just curious on your choice of the 70.5 HA for a 5" bike. I have no doubt your preference was well thought out here, but when more manufacturers are generally going slacker on 5" and longer travel bikes, 70.5 seemed a little steep. What wheelbase do you think you'll end up with, and what's the chainstay length with the provided swingarm? The setup looks very well done, and I'm impressed with anyone who can roll their own.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Agreed that the head angle is a little steeper than other 26" bikes but this is something of a "beta" bike and I wanted to try a head angle somewhere between my 29er and 26". I want something that will perform in Pisgah but much of the riding around here in Indy doesn't really call for a slacked out 5" travel bike. So I wanted something that could serve a little bit of double duty. This should give a trail of ~79mm but if I don't like the way it rides then I'll tear it apart and build another one.

Also, wheelbase is 44". Chainstay is 17.45"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast