mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Cross post: Pivot Mach 427 -- Mach 4 to 650b Conversion

Posted this in the Pivot Cycles forum but thought you guys might be interested. I just recently completed a full 650b conversion for my Pivot Mach 4.

Cross post:  Pivot Mach 427 -- Mach 4 to 650b Conversion-161j.jpg

Full post is here

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Would the ardent fit in the rear ? thanks.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinhead View Post
    Posted this in the Pivot Cycles forum but thought you guys might be interested. I just recently completed a full 650b conversion for my Pivot Mach 4.
    Nice. Curious to tire choices, as they seem like more of a 5.7 type use. I know the Fire XC is small, did you look into the CrossMark aswell?
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    Would the ardent fit in the rear ? thanks.
    I did not try it, but i doubt it. the Ardent was noticeably taller than the FireXC.

Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Nice. Curious to tire choices, as they seem like more of a 5.7 type use. I know the Fire XC is small, did you look into the CrossMark aswell?
    I use my Mach 4 as a trail bike. There are a lot of rocks/roots here on the East coast, so I chose the tires that I thought would give best grip in all-around wet/dry/rocks/roots type of conditions. I don't take big drops or anything, so I've never felt the need for more than 4" of travel.

I did not look into the CrossMark -- I've used those when I used to XC race my Mach 4, but the sidewalls did not hold up well in the rocky terrain.

I will note that the Ardent EXO is a beefy tire -- VERY thick sidewalls. In retro, it might be overkill for my needs, so may looking into a NN 2.25 for my next front tire.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by kleinhead View Post
    I did not try it, but i doubt it. the Ardent was noticeably taller than the FireXC.

I use my Mach 4 as a trail bike. There are a lot of rocks/roots here on the East coast, so I chose the tires that I thought would give best grip in all-around wet/dry/rocks/roots type of conditions. I don't take big drops or anything, so I've never felt the need for more than 4" of travel.

I did not look into the CrossMark -- I've used those when I used to XC race my Mach 4, but the sidewalls did not hold up well in the rocky terrain.

I will note that the Ardent EXO is a beefy tire -- VERY thick sidewalls. In retro, it might be overkill for my needs, so may looking into a NN 2.25 for my next front tire.

Ahh, NEngland trails, got it. Wasn't doubting you build use.

Yeah I like those XC's (I have a set of 700x45c's on my 29'r-same pattern) and was going to pickup one of them to use on a spare fs frame for some more stay bridge clearance but decided not to put it back together. My El Bastardo is working very well for my chuncky trailbike rides.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice work there Mr.kleinhead. Can you post pics of its tire clearance With seat stays? Do you enounter occassional tire rub with it at the rear duing hard pedalling or plushing on bumps?
    Im planning to built the same. Hopefully next month. Just wanna make sure of some of the issues there.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I hope pivot builds something like this as their next new release. Keep the BB around 13".
    I'd buy one.
    I'm a big fan of 650b, don't they just look so right.