mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Crank bros iodine 3 650b wheelset

Anyone know if these exist/where to buy/when they come out? Can't find any good info.

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Save your money. Crank Brother wheels are garbage. If you think they look cool, think how they will look with 6 dents in them. Imagine how cool they are when you are walking your bike back to the car. Imagine not able to ride your bike for a week or more when you break a spoke and no bike shop on Earth carries replacements. Think how cool it is to call Crank Brothers to find out they only sell replacement spokes in sets of 4 for $25 plus $10 for shipping.

If your only intent is ride around from bike shop to bike shop and say look at me and my bling, then you probably won't have to worry too much about denting a rim or breaking a spoke. If your intent is to ride off road on even the tamest trails, I suggest you think about first paragraph of this post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Guesswho117 View Post
    Save your money. Crank Brother wheels are garbage. If you think they look cool, think how they will look with 6 dents in them. Imagine how cool they are when you are walking your bike back to the car. Imagine not able to ride your bike for a week or more when you break a spoke and no bike shop on Earth carries replacements. Think how cool it is to call Crank Brothers to find out they only sell replacement spokes in sets of 4 for $25 plus $10 for shipping.

If your only intent is ride around from bike shop to bike shop and say look at me and my bling, then you probably won't have to worry too much about denting a rim or breaking a spoke. If your intent is to ride off road on even the tamest trails, I suggest you think about first paragraph of this post.
    Thanks for the thoughts, none of that sounds very cool hah. I was afraid someone might say something like that. Do you think they're so fragile cause they're made out of 6061 t6? Just now looking into wheelsets, so do you have any suggestions for something with "bling" that's also super durable and light?

mtbr member
    I9 wheels fit that description since you did not put a price cap on it. I use the on my dh bike and have had to true them twice in 2 seasons of use.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Carraig042 View Post
    I9 wheels fit that description since you did not put a price cap on it. I use the on my dh bike and have had to true them twice in 2 seasons of use.

-Brett
    Thanks Brett, the Industry Nine Enduro wheelset sounds just like what I'm looking for. Cost is a bit more than I was planning on spending, but I'll just definitely save up as long as a bit more internet research doesn't point me to something better. Any idea where to buy them with all the custom options online?

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    Chris King hubs laced to Enve rims if money is no object.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well it looks like rbikes or customwheelbuilder .coms have a nice interface for selecting the various wheel components. I'll have to look into enve rims. Any word on the durability of carbon? I'm looking to get a wheelset that will last as long as possible considering the.cost!

mtbr member
    I have over 1000 miles on my Iodine 2 wheelset with zero problems. I ride the hills and mountains in Southern CA so they have been put to the test. Most of the reviews you see online are referencing the initial launch year for this product. The free hub was poorly designed and caused problems for many. That issue has since been resolved. If you are worried about broken spokes buy a set of four when you purchase the wheelset to avoid the extra shipping cost. Oh, and the 2014s are launching in early November. I would bet they will have a 650b.

I agree with Guesswho117... if money is no object Enve AM set up tubeless is the best available.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My cobalt 2 29er wheelset are dent free and the freehub is quite and smooth after 2-3 years. I got it right after they redesigned the hub. it has been completely trouble free and I have hit the front rim twice so hard riding a rigid bike I thought it would fold but still not a dent. Would have not bought the 2009 version after hearing about those issues but others I have talked with also seem to like the redesign.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    Thanks Brett, the Industry Nine Enduro wheelset sounds just like what I'm looking for. Cost is a bit more than I was planning on spending, but I'll just definitely save up as long as a bit more internet research doesn't point me to something better. Any idea where to buy them with all the custom options online?
    You can build wheels directly on their website. I actually got my pair used that were custom done. 27.5 would be hard to find used right now from them though.

Brett

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I completely agree. Had a set of the orange Iodines, complete junk. Dented them on the FIRST ride coming down Sovereign, followed by more dents on a regular basis. No shop wants to stock the spokes so you wait wait wait to get your wheels back. Crank Bros makes their stuff look pretty (a la Specialized) but it has no LT durability. BTW, I put the Iodines on my 11 year olds mtb and he and his friends think they look really cool!

OVER the rocks, not around

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had the 26" Iodines, first gen after the hub redesign. I really wouldn't recommend them. I never broke a spoke, but I sure dented the heck out of the rims. I had freehub bearings explode on me and (in a separate occasion) had the rear hub bearings seize after less than six months of riding. They weren't very well sealed. At >1900g, they weren't exactly the lightest, either. Given the price, there are better options out there.

I'd have probably kept them and ridden them until I couldn't, but they were stolen with the bike they were attached to. I replaced them with LB carbon rims laced to Hadleys using DT Revolution spokes. I've been very pleased with the combination. Been on them for a full year now and the carbon has its share of scratches from rocks but is otherwise holding up very well.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably go the same route, or possibly with Derby's wide rims. I'd definitely consider I9s, though I'm personally happy to use always-available commodity j-bend spokes.

Just going to revive this thread for a great article posted today about the stigma attached to Crank Brothers wheelsets.

2014 Crank Brothers Cobalt, Iodine, and Opium Wheels - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

This basically sums up current wheel technology and why CB are different... and when you're different there are going to be people who don't accept it.

"But I started thinking about this a few weeks ago. Current mountain bike wheel technology is kind of stupid. Look at all the things that have drastically changed on mountain bikes in the last 10 years, yet, wheel design is roughly the same as it was, what, 50 years ago? Yes, advancements have been made in materials, axle specifications, disc specific designs, and so on. But other than dirt bikes, what other high performance vehicle is still rolling around on conventionally spoked wheels? The basic design is crazy. A skinny little aluminum beam held in place by 32 (or fewer) tiny pieces of wire that pull the beam in alternating directions? And the beam has holes drilled through it and then 32 little pieces of brass/aluminum pull with high force right where the hole is drilled? And the skinny little pieces of wire have a bend in them right at one of the highest stressed points? And now… man… now, we’re trying to seal up that drilled aluminum beam with thin strips of rubber, tape and goop just so we can run our tires without tubes? It’s crazy."

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

I currenly ride a set if 26" cobolt 3 wheels and have had no problems. I ordered some spare spokes when I got them because of previous reviews like this I read, but they were easy to get and only cost a few bucks each. I ride mostly rocky techy xc and have found them responsive and fast rolling compared to my last set of rims. I might think twice about them if i weighed 100kg and planned to do 4 ft drops wih them because of the number of spokes they have, but being 55kg I can pull off almost anything with them. I would purchase a set of 650b ones if they make them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by duggus View Post
    Just going to revive this thread for a great article posted today about the stigma attached to Crank Brothers wheelsets.

2014 Crank Brothers Cobalt, Iodine, and Opium Wheels - NSMB.com Mountain Bike Reviews, News, Photo and Video

This basically sums up current wheel technology and why CB are different... and when you're different there are going to be people who don't accept it.
    Those CB wheels are solving problems nobody is having and add a much more significant problem - lack of compatibility with common bike parts.

I get conventional wheels built locally and I ride them pretty hard. I have no issues getting them setup tubeless and I have no issues with them needing attention post-build. I get to pick and choose each component of the wheel system to best meet my needs [rim/spokes/nipples/hubs].

I travel a fair bit to ride and it's nice to know that I can walk into any bike shop and get my wheels sorted out with parts they have on the shelf.

If the CB wheels were really a significant improvement you'd see more of them on people's bikes. Every other wheel upgrade that makes sense [tubeless/disc brakes/carbon rims/ through axle/wider hubs/etc...] has caught on.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

"But I started thinking about this a few weeks ago. Current mountain bike wheel technology is kind of stupid. Look at all the things that have drastically changed on mountain bikes in the last 10 years, yet, wheel design is roughly the same as it was, what, 50 years ago? Yes, advancements have been made in materials, axle specifications, disc specific designs, and so on. But other than dirt bikes, what other high performance vehicle is still rolling around on conventionally spoked wheels? The basic design is crazy. A skinny little aluminum beam held in place by 32 (or fewer) tiny pieces of wire that pull the beam in alternating directions? And the beam has holes drilled through it and then 32 little pieces of brass/aluminum pull with high force right where the hole is drilled? And the skinny little pieces of wire have a bend in them right at one of the highest stressed points? And now… man… now, we’re trying to seal up that drilled aluminum beam with thin strips of rubber, tape and goop just so we can run our tires without tubes? It’s crazy."
    I actually don't think it's that crazy. Do we have the technology to build a sold metal or carbon fiber wheel? Sure, but it won't be vertically complaint. Bicycle wheels are built to be laterally stiff, but vertically complaint. The cheapest, easiest, tried and true, most simple solution to this is the current design of spokes laced to a rim.

The Santa Cruz Syndicate team even tried running low spoke tension this season in an attempt to gain more vertical compliance from their ENVE wheels. Although that choice didn't end well a couple times this season.
    The cake is a lie.

Guesswho117
    Jan 2008
    They're not being accepted because they're different but because they make crappy, shoddy unreliable products that cost a premium. People who get burnt once are not gonna wanna get burned again.

"So the company admits that their hubs sucked and they’ve paid the price for that. But everything else about the wheel design has been a winner for them."

Horsesh_t! Ahh what about the weak ass rim that everyone seems to be denting?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    The argument for those cb wheels would be a lot better if they were stiffer our lighter than conventional wheels but they are no lighter, no stiffer and twice the price , look nice tho

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I for one will be trying out a set of the 2014 Cobalt 3's. I'll ride the **** out of them and post a review. They significantly beefed up the rims this year.

Re: Crank bros iodine 3 650b wheelset

Horsesh_t! Ahh what about the weak ass rim that everyone seems to be denting?
    Yeah... everyone. You mean the 2 guys that posted it happened to them on the internet? Velocity blunt's are very known to be an easily dented rim... yet are still highly used. Good rims dent instead of cracking... aluminum will always dent. You're high if you think otherwise or that its specific to CB rims. The writer of that article hit the nail on the head. Price and non-typical design is what has held the CB wheelsets back. But by all means compare them to pedals or whatever CB product you or some guy on a forum posted about has had... because a wheelset and pedal are the same thing right.