mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Converting Mach 429 to a 27.5 bike

Hi guys, im very much interested in getting the Mach 429 (not a fan of carbon). I love the reviews and testimonials from this bike. This will be my 2nd bike,and im hoping to purchase this next month from a lbs.
    I would just like to know if i could convert this bike to a 650b and use a 27.5 tires.
    Will i be encountering big problems with these?
    Any comments or advice ?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    I don't know about a conversion, but the carbon is a much better bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If you want a 650b bike, you should just buy a 650b bike. 2nd the vote for the Carbon. I think the 429 would have about a 12" bb with smaller wheels.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Its a little pricey and Since the weight difference with the carbon version is quite small, il stick with the alux. Im going to put the extra dough on the group set.

Any thoughts on the conversion using 27.5 tires?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks panchosdad, the thing is im inlove with the Mach with its DW-link. It was love at first ride when i test ride it. Im torn with my urge with a 27.5.
    Aside from the bb height, will i have another technical problem there? Ty

mtbr member
    On Pivot bikes, you don't get the carbon versions to save weight.

mtbr member
    You are not a better engineer than the one who designed the 429. If the bike should have 27.5 wheels, it would've been spec'd that way in the beginning. Before there were so many good 27.5 bikes to choose from, a conversion made a little sense. These days it makes no sense at all, unless you just can't afford a new bike and you just absolutely must have 27.5.

If you're buying a new bike, buy a 27.5, don't convert a great 29er into a so-so 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dilig View Post
    Thanks panchosdad, the thing is im inlove with the Mach with its DW-link. It was love at first ride when i test ride it. Im torn with my urge with a 27.5.
    Aside from the bb height, will i have another technical problem there? Ty
    Have you ridden the 429. To me it doesn't ride like a 29er, it's quick and nimble, corners great, but still rolls over stuff. For me, I wish the bb was a little higher, but it's all a compromise. Another 3/4" lower would be ridiculously low.

Have you looked at the Pivot Mach 6, Turner Burner or Flux, Giant anthem or Trance 27.5. Lots of DW (or faux DW) options out there in 27.5 already.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yes, ive tried it once, but only in a very limited trail distance. The owner of the bike is too stiff with mach 429 but he was kind enough to let me feel a few dirt with his bike. And so I had a very limited impression but i was indeed impress. Too bad there is no demo bike here.

My 2nd choice is the turner flux 27.5, im leaning towards short travel fulsus for my XC/trail rides.

Haissstt . . . . . So many bikes, so little time, so little money.

Anyway, thanks for your insights.