mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Considering Scott Genius 700. What other choices?

I've been reading much on 650b on this forum and the net, and am waiting for Yeti to offer one, but I don't think Yeti will offer one by Spring 2013 (I've been really eyeing and saving for Yeti SB66 until I became aware of 650b bikes).

Then, I noticed a Scott ad featuring Genius 700. From Scott's website, it seems very impressive. I especially like the 3 suspension modes at your finger tips! I might go for the least expensive carbon model ($5k?).

Since, this is a big chunk of dough, I want to seriously consider other contenders. Please chime in. Thanks!

NedwannaB

To name a few

Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post
    I've been reading much on 650b on this forum and the net, and am waiting for Yeti to offer one, but I don't think Yeti will offer one by Spring 2013 (I've been really eyeing and saving for Yeti SB66 until I became aware of 650b bikes).

Then, I noticed a Scott ad featuring Genius 700. From Scott's website, it seems very impressive. I especially like the 3 suspension modes at your finger tips! I might go for the least expensive carbon model ($5k?).

Since, this is a big chunk of dough, I want to seriously consider other contenders. Please chime in. Thanks!
    Not all carbon tho:

Intense
    Foes
    Norco
    Jamis
    Rocky Mtn

Plus Francois has a 650 shootout on the site.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Not all carbon tho:

Intense
    Foes
    Norco
    Jamis
    Rocky Mtn

Plus Francois has a 650 shootout on the site.
    Thanks for this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Also,

Banshee Spitfire and Rune both have 650B dropout options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Turner has a 27.5 Burner as well.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Ventana Zeus and the Mojo HD140 is 650B certified by Ibis.

....and there will be a 650B Knolly Endorphin shortly
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I am also waiting for Yeti on 650b offering but I won't hold my breath....
    And +1 for 650b Endorphin, it will be an excellent option.. (having tried how great a Chilcotin rides)...
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm going the guess the Endorphin 27.5 initially is going to be tough to come by. Would absolutely be worth waiting for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Are there particular models and/or geometry that are better suited for the Northeast trails where, generally, they are generally for rocky? Also, I'm 5' 7" at 164 lbs, and am thinking whether certain brands are better suited for smaller stature.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That's a tricky question with lots of potential answers (I live here as well). You have to take an honest evaluation of your ability, the trails you like to ride the most, what trails and conditions you would like to improve on and be able to ride if you could and had a different bike to do it with, what traits you prefer a bike to have etc. The right bike choice can really up your game and make riding allot more fun or drive you crazy (like me) searching for that holy grail bike, analyzing and over analyzing every little detail (guilty as charged but it could be worse)

General trend in bike design seems to be low and slack for trail bikes. Probably not the best for North East riding (especially the BB part) but that's the trend. I have 2 bikes both with head angles of 69 degrees which is on the steep end for what I like to ride now (but totally doable). Great steering precision at the expense of some twitchyness, pucker power moments on steep rocky down hills and through rock gardens. Slacker head angles are more forgiving at the expense of steering precision the slacker you go. Wheelbase length can also be a factor on how stable a bike might be and it's ability to turn. On one end you can have a short Mojo HD140 (for instance) which has a 44.4" WB in a large to the new Scott or Banshee Spitfire which have 46.6 and 46.8 respectively in size large. More than 2" longer. Mojo HD is super playful bike but wont be as stable as the other 2 but they might not be as playful or nimble. Very few full reviews on the Scott and none yet on the new Spitfire which literally just arrived as a frame set.

One thing that pretty neat about the new Rocky Altitude and the Spitfire is they both have adjustable geometry which allows you to play with BB height and HA which is nice. Combine forks with different axle to crown heights and you have the ability to really change things around and the way the bike will feel and ride.

Obviously you need to demo as much as you can or ride friends bikes but I would be looking for a bike with a head angle between 67-68 degrees and a BB height of at least 13.5"+ with travel ranging 125mm on the low end to 160mm on the high end with 140-150mm perhaps the sweet spot for a nice all around bike. That's just me, everyone is different and has different views and if it's a hardtail that changes some things but I still want a 67.5 or 68 degree HA. 69-71 or 72 degrees is getting into more cross country territory than trail or AM (but some ride those angles in the craziest stuff imaginable and can do it.... just not me)

I think you squarely fall in the medium size range for about any model and there are some really wonderful choices across the board. Read, read, read (and read between the lines), research and wait for the MTBR 650 shootout (but remember he's riding CA conditions not New England which for may people in the US would be like riding another planet)

Hope that helps...a little anyway!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    That's a tricky question with lots of potential answers (I live here as well). You have to take an honest evaluation of your ability, the trails you like to ride the most, what trails and conditions you would like to improve on and be able to ride if you could and had a different bike to do it with, what traits you prefer a bike to have etc. The right bike choice can really up your game and make riding allot more fun or drive you crazy (like me) searching for that holy grail bike, analyzing and over analyzing every little detail (guilty as charged but it could be worse)

General trend in bike design seems to be low and slack for trail bikes. Probably not the best for North East riding (especially the BB part) but that's the trend. I have 2 bikes both with head angles of 69 degrees which is on the steep end for what I like to ride now (but totally doable). Great steering precision at the expense of some twitchyness, pucker power moments on steep rocky down hills and through rock gardens. Slacker head angles are more forgiving at the expense of steering precision the slacker you go. Wheelbase length can also be a factor on how stable a bike might be and it's ability to turn. On one end you can have a short Mojo HD140 (for instance) which has a 44.4" WB in a large to the new Scott or Banshee Spitfire which have 46.6 and 46.8 respectively in size large. More than 2" longer. Mojo HD is super playful bike but wont be as stable as the other 2 but they might not be as playful or nimble. Very few full reviews on the Scott and none yet on the new Spitfire which literally just arrived as a frame set.

One thing that pretty neat about the new Rocky Altitude and the Spitfire is they both have adjustable geometry which allows you to play with BB height and HA which is nice. Combine forks with different axle to crown heights and you have the ability to really change things around and the way the bike will feel and ride.

Obviously you need to demo as much as you can or ride friends bikes but I would be looking for a bike with a head angle between 67-68 degrees and a BB height of at least 13.5"+ with travel ranging 125mm on the low end to 160mm on the high end with 140-150mm perhaps the sweet spot for a nice all around bike. That's just me, everyone is different and has different views and if it's a hardtail that changes some things but I still want a 67.5 or 68 degree HA. 69-71 or 72 degrees is getting into more cross country territory than trail or AM (but some ride those angles in the craziest stuff imaginable and can do it.... just not me)

I think you squarely fall in the medium size range for about any model and there are some really wonderful choices across the board. Read, read, read (and read between the lines), research and wait for the MTBR 650 shootout (but remember he's riding CA conditions not New England which for may people in the US would be like riding another planet)

Hope that helps...a little anyway!
    This helps a lot! Thanks for taking the time to write this! Very helpful. I'm not familiar with all the technical parameters, yet, but am very hands-on once I get into it. Way down the road, I would probably do my own builds.

I'm a road biker, but my heart is in mountain biking though I've not really ventured into it. When I was younger, I used to pop wheelies, do jumps and tricks with my banana seat bike that literally was destroyed with my antics. Of course, with age, I'm not going to go wild. I see myself using the MB mainly for trails, climbing, and descents with nimbleness and speed.

I've yet to go to Ringwood here in NJ, but will need to find shops nearby trails that rent decent MB for demoing in light of what I'm learning here and there.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not sure where Ringwood is located but northern NJ can be very New England like while southern Jersey is the opposite, more flat, lots of sand and nary a rock. Most bike shops are clueless and uninformed about the 650B bikes and trends. Don't listen to their BS about lack of tires,forks rims,bikes etc. They will push you towards a 29'er most likely which for a newbie can make things easier for sure. Every size is a compromise in some way, pick your poison. 27.5" is the Swiss Army knife size IMO and does the most right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Not sure where Ringwood is located but northern NJ can be very New England like while southern Jersey is the opposite, more flat, lots of sand and nary a rock. Most bike shops are clueless and uninformed about the 650B bikes and trends. Don't listen to their BS about lack of tires,forks rims,bikes etc. They will push you towards a 29'er most likely which for a newbie can make things easier for sure. Every size is a compromise in some way, pick your poison. 27.5" is the Swiss Army knife size IMO and does the most right.
    I agree with you. Even my LBS (owner's awesome with road bikes) pushes 29ers b/c MB is not really his thing. My mind is set on 27.5" - I'll be spending this winter doing research and chomping at my bits for Spring 2013. Hopefully, more LBS will catch up to the future.

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergetrio View Post
    I agree with you. Even my LBS (owner's awesome with road bikes) pushes 29ers b/c MB is not really his thing. My mind is set on 27.5" - I'll be spending this winter doing research and chomping at my bits for Spring 2013. Hopefully, more LBS will catch up to the future.
    Mergetrio I think you won't be wrong with 650b (or 27.5 whichever you want to call it)
    Just to cast it more.. I have just converted my hardtail and a 125mm full-sus bike to 650b (or 27.5 whichever you want to call it) and I can't be happier having tried a 29-er hardtail for quite a while. Indeed I'm shy of 5'4" short, so 29-er is not a good cut for me.
    I didn't feel I loose the roll over capability over the 29-er yet far more nimble on the 650b, the most important trait for me.
    And now I am tempted to look on the ground up designed of 650b frame.. .
    If your trail is rocky enough, a more active suspension like Knolly, Norco, or Rocky Mountain FSR may be the ticket.
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

Dissolved member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    If your trail is rocky enough, a more active suspension like Knolly, Norco, or Rocky Mountain FSR may be the ticket.
    Many of us here have wet dreams about Knolly Endorphin and Chilcotin 650Bs but they are not on the market, yet. I ride a converted Mojo HD and I love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Many of us here have wet dreams about Knolly Endorphin and Chilcotin 650Bs but they are not on the market, yet. I ride a converted Mojo HD and I love it.
    I may buy a used MB that's best suited for 650b conversion while I wait for all the new 650bs to come out on the market.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Just heard back from Knolly....the 650B 140mm Endorphin will be available around mid year 2013

Didn't ask about the Chilcotin but I'm sure at some point it's gonna happen.

I may buy a used MB that's best suited for 650b conversion while I wait for all the new 650bs to come out on the market.
    You can certainly go that route but there are some EXCELLENT choices available now that I'm sure you'd be happy with.

That being said I'm selling my converted large Prophet (less the 650 wheels ,sorry) if your interested. Solid bike, converts perfectly with no issues. Gotta free up some money/space for the next new ride...yet undecided.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Just heard back from Knolly....the 650B 140mm Endorphin will be available around mid year 2013

Didn't ask about the Chilcotin but I'm sure at some point it's gonna happen.

You can certainly go that route but there are some EXCELLENT choices available now that I'm sure you'd be happy with.

That being said I'm selling my converted large Prophet (less the 650 wheels ,sorry) if your interested. Solid bike, converts perfectly with no issues. Gotta free up some money/space for the next new ride...yet undecided.
    I need a small frame.