mtbr member
    Nov 2010

commuter wheels for a SS (normally 26") MTB

Hi gang. I'm the very lucky owner of a killer 26" Phil Wood SS, which gets regular trail use. I will be needing a commuter daily for at least the next 2 years for a new job. I don't want to use the roady (only either 9 or 15km trip). I don't want to swap tyres every time I want to hit the dirt (tubeless). So I was thinking about a 650b SS disc setup with slicks, so I can swap back and fourth.. So I have a few questions:
    - Will the outer diameter work out about the same?
    - Would the wheel fit into the existing RockShox SID 26" fork?
    - Should I have single speed disc MTB hubs built onto road rims, so I can run narrow hight pressure tyres (pref tubeless)?
    I'd welcome ideas? I'd just use the same fat tyres all the time, but don't fancy chewing through expensive UST tubeless MTB tyres!
    Cool.
    Mat

mtbr member
    Overall diameter of a 2.1" tire on a 26" wheel, a 42mm tire on a 650b wheel and a 23mm tire on a 700c wheel are very close to identical. There are several 38-42mm 650b tires out there that would be decent commuter tires--I use some myself. None tubeless that I'm aware of, but Q-tubes have removable valve cores so you can easily fill them with Stans or whatever and get the puncture protection you need for a commuter set up. Awful nice bike to commute on though-hope you have a secure place to store it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

how true!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Overall diameter of a 2.1" tire on a 26" wheel, a 42mm tire on a 650b wheel and a 23mm tire on a 700c wheel are very close to identical. There are several 38-42mm 650b tires out there that would be decent commuter tires--I use some myself. None tubeless that I'm aware of, but Q-tubes have removable valve cores so you can easily fill them with Stans or whatever and get the puncture protection you need for a commuter set up. Awful nice bike to commute on though-hope you have a secure place to store it.
    I pulled a wheel off the roady and you're right - almost exactly same outer diameter (700c road wheel with a 23 on it, vs 26" MTB with a Mountain King 2.2 UST tubeless on it. Makes me think a nice cyclocross disc wheelset with rims to cater for skinnies might be in order. And yes, it's locked up like Fort Knox!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mat-with-one-t View Post
    I pulled a wheel off the roady and you're right - almost exactly same outer diameter (700c road wheel with a 23 on it, vs 26" MTB with a Mountain King 2.2 UST tubeless on it. Makes me think a nice cyclocross disc wheelset with rims to cater for skinnies might be in order. And yes, it's locked up like Fort Knox!
    Of course I'm right-I don't make stuff up to post on the interwebs!

I need bigger tires than that for my commute, broken pavement, etc. so 38-42mm, 650b tires work great for me, but if you can comfortably commute on 23mm tires go for it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Of course I'm right-I don't make stuff up to post on the interwebs!

I need bigger tires than that for my commute, broken pavement, etc. so 38-42mm, 650b tires work great for me, but if you can comfortably commute on 23mm tires go for it.
    Yeah I commute all year round, and did cop a few punctures this winter, so maybe a slightly heftier tyre is in order. Maybe if I go cyclocross (as opposed to a disc road wheel) then I'll have better tyre choice and can even use the bike in (not too hardcore) offroad settings? Any thoughts or recommendations?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oh, an excuse the dopey questions. I was wondering a few things:
    - I assume I'd need MTB SS disc hubs irrespective to ensure correct spacing?
    - How low can you go (heh) in terms of skinny tyres on cyclocross rims. When I sussed diameters, there's a bit of space to play with (but not much!!) when I mounted my 700c (with a 23 tyre) on the bike. I'm worried that, once a higher profile cyclocross tyre goes on, it'll get tight. Are there many low-profile cyclocross tyres on the market?
    - so do I get a set of MTB SS disc hubs laced to road rims or to cyclocross rims?
    - would prefer tubeless and high(ish) pressure ability for commute, but not fussed if must go to tubes
    The whole idea would be the ability to easily switch between wheel sets - my current 26ers (rear - Phil SS disc hub on Stans XTR rim, front - White Ind disc hub (convertible QR or 15mm) on XTR rim; running Mounain King UST tubeless) - and another set for fast commuting on road and sometimes gravel path or packed trail.
    Cool

mtbr member
    Yeah, you'd want the hubs to be the same width as what you have in there with your mtb wheels. Road, cyclocross, 29'er--they're all the same diameter. Rim width varies a little depending on the application. You won't want to go much bigger on a 700c rim than the 23mm or you're going to run into clearance issues. If you want a bigger tire than the 23mm, go 650bX42mm(ish)