mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Climbing on a 27.5

I have a 26 xc hard tail and a 29 xc hard tail. On the 26 I'm running lower pressure tubeless and get very good traction. On the 29er I'm running regular tubes and I get incredible traction. On the 26 I have to get the exact body position for ultimate traction whereas on the 29er I can pretty much stand, sit or do whatever I want and the rear never spins out or loses traction. How does a 27.5 compare? Is the traction more similar to a 26 or 29? If possible I would prefer a 27er as I'm only 5'7" and I think a smaller wheel makes more sense from a geometry and fit perspective. Any input would be appreciated. Real life experiences not theoretical please.

mtbr member
    29er traction + 26er traction/(log 29/26) *tubeless factor (k)

just some guy
    To my delighted surprise my 650b bike (a hardtail w tubes) is much closer to a 29er in traction.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'8" and I find the traction on my 650b superior to my last bike a 26" trek liquid.
    Having said that I think the difference could be contributed in part to geo
    I think it would take someone who has the same exact bike that is made in both wheel sizes to really judge this.
    UGG boots will germinate Paris Hilton like intellect in your soles!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    traction on climbs i think comes down to geo and technique. One rider can climb a bike with bad geo and good technique and not spin out. Another can be on a great bike with bad technique and spin out badly.

With the larger than 26" wheels, I think this: smooth climbs require little technique and just momentum 26" advantage here. Technical climbs favors larger than 26" with easier roll-over size
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member

Climbing on a 27.5

My jamis Dragon 650 & kent eriksen 650 climb like goats!....

mtbr member
    Giant did some geekery on this and found that 275 contact patch is very close to the 29 contact patch, all else equal.

I find that to be true from my 275 experience. I'm also a fat-rim fan. The Inferno27 replaced my last set of Velocity Blunt 275 rims and I've been very happy with the tire profile on both rims.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Giant did some geekery on this
    I'd call it tomfoolery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    29er traction + 26er traction/(log 29/26) *tubeless factor (k)
    You forgot to multiply by pi, you always need the pi!!!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    I got through college on partial credit.

My Brain Hurts!
    Yes, everybody loves Pi!
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!

Wrench

Proof!

I put my Nemesis on a local hill.

It didn't climb. In fact, it went BACKWARDS!

So much for 27.5! It's all hype!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAL View Post
    I put my Nemesis on a local hill.

It didn't climb. In fact, it went BACKWARDS!

So much for 27.5! It's all hype!
    You're doing it wrong.

I got on my Banshee Rune 650B and I didn't even have to turn the pedals, it just started floating and pretty soon I was on the top of the mountain.

But it could have been the geometry, so....

mtbr member
    i was on 26" wheels before i converted my bike to 650b. the difference was not ground breaking but i could definetly tell the bike rolls better in technical. now have been riding 650b wheels for over year, i switched back to 26" just to see what happens. i can tell you that switching back to 26" is noticeable as hell . most noticeable for me was loss of rear traction on steep and/or loose climbs
    HuRa
    architecture and interior design
    website facebook

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by spadmike View Post
    I have a 26 xc hard tail and a 29 xc hard tail. On the 26 I'm running lower pressure tubeless and get very good traction. On the 29er I'm running regular tubes and I get incredible traction. On the 26 I have to get the exact body position for ultimate traction whereas on the 29er I can pretty much stand, sit or do whatever I want and the rear never spins out or loses traction. How does a 27.5 compare? Is the traction more similar to a 26 or 29? If possible I would prefer a 27er as I'm only 5'7" and I think a smaller wheel makes more sense from a geometry and fit perspective. Any input would be appreciated. Real life experiences not theoretical please.
    My 29er is a hardtail singlespeed with a 70 degree head angle, 100mm fork, and 17.8" chainstays. My 27.5 bike has 150mm travel front and rear, a 66.7 degree head angle, and 16.8" chainstays. I can describe the differences in the way they climb but most of it has nothing to do with wheel diameter.

Mine might be a bit of an extreme example but in general, geometry differences matter as much or more than wheel size when it comes to climbing traction, even when comparing two bikes of a similar style.

I tested a lot of different 5.5-6" travel bikes when I was looking for my most recent purchase. The only 29er I tried was the Tallboy LTc and I didn't like the handling at all. I tried several really terrific 26" wheeled bikes but there was always this little adjustment period for me where I had to get used to feeling the small trail irregularities. I didn't feel the same thing with the two 27.5" bikes I tried (Norco Sight and RM Altitude) but their handling felt just as good to me as the 26" bikes (Ibis Mojo HD and Mojo SLR, Turner 5 Spot, Specialized SJ Evo, 2012 Norco Sight, Intense Carbine SL).
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I think tire width matters as much, or more than diameter when it comes to traction. What would happen if you put a 26" 2.4 tire and 27.5" 2.2 tire on the same bike?

the new Gilbert Grape
    I have a nearly bald Quasi Moto on my 650b. When I'm out of the saddle in sand over hard pack it spins out. I suspect things will improve drastically when I get around to replacing the tire.

The point is that chain stay length, seat tube angle, tire, and handle bar height all impact how a bike will climb - all affect climbing more than the tire diameter. Not all bikes with a given wheel size climb similarly.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Thanks for all the input so far! I;ve been riding my 26 more and more and I think I will probably go for a 27er as I am not as crazy about my 29er. Handling is still off and it's probably because it is a small bike etc. I guess with a 27er, one can have his pi and eat it too?

mtbr member
    Hi Everyone, My name is Justin and I work at Giant USA. I am 5'8", I like riding xc and all mountain. I currently ride a 29er and tried a 27.5 in Whistler. I noticed quickly on how quick the 27.5 accelerated and its maneuverability on tight switchbacks and tech terrain. I liked it's snappy climbing ability to.
    Justin
    Giant Bicycles USA
    www.facebook.com/giantbicyclesusa

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinGiantUSA View Post
    Hi Everyone, My name is Justin and I work at Giant USA. I am 5'8", I like riding xc and all mountain. I currently ride a 29er and tried a 27.5 in Whistler. I noticed quickly on how quick the 27.5 accelerated and its maneuverability on tight switchbacks and tech terrain. I liked it's snappy climbing ability to.
    Do you think that you.... working for GIANT , who is now 100% in on 650B would come on a public forum and say "My name is Justin and I work at Giant USA. I am 5'8", I like riding xc and all mountain. I currently ride a 29er and tried a 27.5 in Whistler and it sucked the big one".........just saying......