mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Choices: 650b Forks? Fox, RS, 32mm, 34mm, 35mm or $$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm a fan of RS forks. But the Revelation is only 32mm stanchions. For a real AM machine, I think it's got to be bigger than that. I love that the Pike is back and 35mm stanchions. But the price? $1000 smackers? Are you Friggin nuts!

The Fox 34s are more affordable and the right size. But Im not a fan of Fox.

Sigh

XFusion? Other brands. RS customer service too is awesome.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    where are the Fox forks that are similar to the Pike you are seeing that are affordable, seems the 2014 models are mid to upper 900's for a 34mm and 150 or 160 of travel. so for maybe $100 more you can get the brand you like vs the Fox. Now the X-fusion maybe a different story, most likely you can save 2-300 dollars for something similar in specs, the risk there is you have no idea of how it performs and will have to rely a lot on other peoples opinion. I've never ridden their forks, so can't say they are good or bad. But one thing I know, I would make darn sure its of similar ride quality to the RS before I save $200-$300, nothing worse than spending a lot of money to find out you don't like it and also know that for a few dollars more you could have had what you wanted.

2-300 dollars over the years the fork will last, really isn't that much money per year to have what you want, so I say, don't compromise performance for price. (this doesn't mean buy the most expensive, it means buy the one you feel performs the best and if its cheaper, bonus.)

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I didn't say the Fox 34s are similar to Pikes, I only said they're more affordable. And since they've been out awhile, used ones are easy to find for much less.

Yes, I agree the RS Pike is a superior product, but even amortized over years of use, I'm still not willing to pay the price their asking. I have to draw the line somewhere else I'd be way over budget. If I were a racer and wanted an edge, then maybe. But I'm just your average trail rider.

If I build another 650b bike, it'll likely be the Fox 34's up front. A decent compromise.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sorry to imply that from your post, and also sorry to imply you wanted something of similar quality/performance as the Pike, I figured you mentioned it as a bench mark.

Regardless sounds like you answered your own question in the exchange, buy a used Fox.

Now to my counseling fees - 15mins of work here at $1,00/hour you owe $250

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    I didn't say the Fox 34s are similar to Pikes, I only said they're more affordable. And since they've been out awhile, used ones are easy to find for much less.

Yes, I agree the RS Pike is a superior product, but even amortized over years of use, I'm still not willing to pay the price their asking.
    What makes the Pike a superior product? It's been out for a month. Not trolling cause I really want one too but hard to say its a superior product. Just my opinion...

mtbr member
    Just buy a Revelation. Desire for Pike + budget constraints = Revelation. Both 15mm, Rev is lighter, both have great dampers, 32 vs 35 isn't a deal-breaker.

I have Lyrik and Revelation and love both. Lyrik fits 275 with 2.25 ardent which I've used for DH riding.

If you haven't ridden the Pike, you don't know what you are missing...

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by trailbildr View Post
    Just buy a Revelation. Desire for Pike + budget constraints = Revelation. Both 15mm, Rev is lighter, both have great dampers, 32 vs 35 isn't a deal-breaker.

I have Lyrik and Revelation and love both. Lyrik fits 275 with 2.25 ardent which I've used for DH riding.

If you haven't ridden the Pike, you don't know what you are missing...

mk
    The Lyrik fits 650 but only with an Ardent? So, it won't fit a larger volume tire, like say a Schwalbe HD 2.35? That's the only tire I want up front. Ardents are not enough for my liking. Have you tried a larger tire? Does it hit the bottom of the crown under full compression or is it poor clearance under the arch or both?

I've had both a Lyrik and Revelation and both were good. But I do like the extra girth on the Lyrik at 35mm, so I figure 34mm like on the Fox would be a good compromise.

mtbr member
    I haven't tried that tire but the casing on that ardent is really tall. I would be it would fit. I'm guessing you don't have one to try out and I'm not buying a tire to try it for you!

Maybe you can find some measurements on both tires to compare.

mk
    TrailWerks Cyclery
    TrailWerks Suspension Service

trailwerkssuspension.com
    trailwerkscyclery.com

jrm
    mtbr member
    13' 650b takeoff 34s can be had for 1/2 of retail. Mines white but i don't really care. Fox is offering a 14' damper up grade for $50, just send in the 13' damper. A 14' CTD damper upgrade is supposed to be available later in the year but i don't have a cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    X-Fusion Vengeance(Air), especially with the HLR damper, is a killer product for the AM/enduro category. Can fit at least 650b HD 2.35" with OK clearance, could probably clog with tight mud conditions, but on the other hand, HD isn't "mud tire". HR2 in 2.3" size has quite nice clearance, no problems, 2.4" will probably fit too but haven't tried that yet myself.

Weight might be a bit more than with the Pike and similar offerings from Fox, but pric€ is smaller, not sure though what is the situation on the other $ide of the pond. The damper is damn good and logical adjustments, no CTD ********...

USB Rep'n
    I haven't ridden the 650b X Fusion and for some stupid (insert fork snob comments here), I really didn't give them the time of day. This past weekend, I had a chance to ride an X Fusion fork in the 7" travel flavor and was completely, and pleasantly surprised. Tunable, and very nicely damped. Felt bullet-proof on the rocks at Snowshoe. Having had even just a short time on one, I definitely feel differently now about their product and would not rule it out as an option assuming their 650b AM offering is similar in performance to what I rode.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Ahem, I have it on good authority there is a 2014 fox 34 in the classifieds. Updated internals for '14 and a nice discount to boot.. problem solved

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The potential for problems with Fox CSUs is reason enough to not go w/ them IMO. YMMV.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    The potential for problems with Fox CSUs is reason enough to not go w/ them IMO. YMMV.
    I'm sorry but what is "CSU"? Please explain more about the problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    X-Fusion Vengeance(Air), especially with the HLR damper, is a killer product for the AM/enduro category. Can fit at least 650b HD 2.35" with OK clearance, could probably clog with tight mud conditions, but on the other hand, HD isn't "mud tire". HR2 in 2.3" size has quite nice clearance, no problems, 2.4" will probably fit too but haven't tried that yet myself.

Weight might be a bit more than with the Pike and similar offerings from Fox, but pric€ is smaller, not sure though what is the situation on the other $ide of the pond. The damper is damn good and logical adjustments, no CTD ********...
    The Vengeance is another option. Heck, my 140 Velvet has mucho clearance with a 650b 2.35 HD. I would think the Vengeance should have the same great clearance. There products have gotten so much better and they're very plush.

ptd
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    +1 for Vengeance HLR Air. Really reliable, bomb-proof, great damping adjustments, easy to service.
    Been running with 650b for 6 months, HRII 2.3 and HD 2.35 on flow ex, clearance is ample in mud..

The Vengeance is another option. Heck, my 140 Velvet has mucho clearance with a 650b 2.35 HD. I would think the Vengeance should have the same great clearance. There products have gotten so much better and they're very plush.
    Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte View Post
    I haven't ridden the 650b X Fusion and for some stupid (insert fork snob comments here), I really didn't give them the time of day. This past weekend, I had a chance to ride an X Fusion fork in the 7" travel flavor and was completely, and pleasantly surprised. Tunable, and very nicely damped. Felt bullet-proof on the rocks at Snowshoe. Having had even just a short time on one, I definitely feel differently now about their product and would not rule it out as an option assuming their 650b AM offering is similar in performance to what I rode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I'm sorry but what is "CSU"? Please explain more about the problems.
    Grab a beer or 3 and a nice comfy chair and read all about it here 2011 fox forks creaking/cracking noise

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Grab a beer or 3 and a nice comfy chair and read all about it here 2011 fox forks creaking/cracking noise
    Oh, that one. You mean Fox still has that problem? Not good. If there's creaking, there's movement. If there's movement, there's wear and tear. If there's wear and tear there's potential for failure.

After thinking things through and different configurations, now I'm thinking 140mm travel front/rear is good enough for me. Now that RS Revelation is looking good again. I had a 26" Rev and it was a great fork!