Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Chinese Carbon Frames - 650b edition

There are a few threads related to the various 650b chinese hardtail frames, most of them started by the related suppliers (Hong Fu, Iplay, Cabonal etc).

Similar to the 29er and Road Forums, it would be a good idea to share all the ordering/assembly /ride feedback in a single thread.

So has someone alredy ordered or better, received any new toy from the Far East?

Thanks for sharing!

Fab
    [SIZE="4"]flyMTBfish[/SIZE]

Wrench
    I'm interested in this as well. I'll be wanting to build up a 650b rigid carbon bike from a cheap chinese frame sometime in the future. Having ride reports would be nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on this
    27.5" MTB Frame Full carbon mountain bike 27.5ER (650B) BB30 Frame 17", 19", 21"-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

I am trying to chat with the seller but the time difference doesn't help so I'll email him to check the finish options and the headset/BB configuration.

I'd also like to get a confirmed weight; I guess the M will be around 1200g.

Slightly heavier than the other options (scott, Axevo, Haibike etc) but at a fraction of the price.

Sail On!
    Why not get a On One 456C instead? Sure looks nicer and the price is pretty close with a company that will stand behind its product.

On-One Carbon 456 Frame
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat View Post
    Why not get a On One 456C instead? Sure looks nicer and the price is pretty close with a company that will stand behind its product.

On-One Carbon 456 Frame
    The 456C is pretty heavy, as is the Whippet for that matter, so if you're looking for a lightweight frame they aren't it. The weights listed for both of these frames does not include the bolt on swap outs. But I can live with the extra weight for a better overall frame.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat View Post

On-One Carbon 456 Frame
    The 456C is too slack. I'd rather have the whippet.

Or, I could check this out. Comes with a fork too!

27.5" MTB Frame Full carbon mountain bike 27.5ER (650B) BSA Frame and fork 17", 19", 21"-in Bicycle Frame from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com

I'm a long way from building up a hardtail, so I've got time to sit it out and see how these frames play out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I considered building a Whippet (beautiful frame) but I will take the risk of ordering overseas for a small weight saving and "racier"geometry. Cheaper too.

I am currently dealing with a few vendors from Aliexpress and ebay and I have to say that communication is pretty good; in a few days I will place the order for this frame

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/newest-c...-a-818331.html

Curious how claimed weight varies depending on the vendors, the very same frame quoted from 1050 to 1200g.

Realistically 1200-1250 g will be the real weight of my 17'' frame, 300g less than the Scott Scale 650b(Schurter replica) but also 1700$ cheaper!!

I am also looking for a slightly used Fox F-series with tapered steerer.
    Already have the new Magura MT6, the new rims (ZTR Crest) will be relaced to AMClassic hubs.

This will be an interesting winter

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I don't see a 17" frame listed from that vendor. They provide geo's for 16, 18 and a 20.

Make sure to not focus on weight alone unless you are a WW. As you know, there are other benefits of carbon. I was surprised that my 17.5" 29er chinese carbon frame weighed in at around 1300g. The quality of the ride on trails made me forget about the weight. Plus, I was still able to build a 22 lbs bike.

I am certain that my next build will be a 650b. I just need to decide if I want another carbon bike. I might go alloy.

Keep us posted on your purchase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    I considered building a Whippet (beautiful frame) but I will take the risk of ordering overseas for a small weight saving and "racier"geometry. Cheaper too.
    The Whippet is pretty racy as is; it has 10mm shorter chainstays than the frame you linked and the price is the same ($350). It looks like the Chinese frame is a 71 deg HTA with a 485mm a-to-c fork? Looks like the Whippet is a little slacker there (70 deg with a "fully extended 80mm fork", which is probably what, 450mm a-to-c?). The Whippet keeps the same 105mm headtube through all it's sizes though, while it grows on the other frame.

I do like their chainstay mounted brakes, but I also like On-One's swapouts.

Anyways, let us know how it goes. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

Uncle
    Whippet is heavy? No, I had one and it's far from heavy. It was 3lb or less for an 18" IIRC - not the lightest frame out there, but certainly lighter than any Ti or alloy equivalent. Ordering a 3lb frame from a supplier with a domestic sales force (Unrealcycles.com) that has a history (for me even) of solid support, makes far more sense in my mind than ordering an anemic carbon frame from someone that has no support history or domestic representation & no need to support you. Seems like the latter option (super light frame + unknown customer support legacy) is just begging for problems.

My $.02
    Last edited by Entrenador; 11-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

The White Jeff W
    The Geo of the Whippeti s also very close to the Yelli Screamy which is a great bike. If they had a Whippet in XL I'd build a 650b racer out of one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Some of you might look into DengFu also dengfubikes.com Can't link as I don't have enough posts. Mainly a RB guy whose lurking and getting info on possibly getting a 650b

Quite a people over at that RoadBikeReview forum built up their Road Bikes and several people have done multiple group buys through them over at Velobuild.com It might be worth talking to some of those people about their experience and seeing their RB builds

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Everybody worrying about .5lb weight in a MTB frame, seems insane to me, the extra half pound of carbon layup might mean years of life and much greater impact resistance which is carbon's weakness. Spend the money on light wheels and tires if you want something that actually effects performance.
    Last edited by Fred Smedley; 11-03-2012 at 11:57 PM.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about buying a chinese carbon frame to build up as a project this winter. so I hope some others do as well so I can follow some others progress as well. I am inerested in finding out what others think of these frames.
    Rocky Element
    My Attempt at a Blog

Formerly of Kent
    There's three or four THOUSAND posts about the carbon 29er frames in the 29er Bikes forum. Wheel size and slightly geometry differences aside, the same companies are more or less producing the same frames that have quite a few satisfied customers amongst the 29er crowd - myself included.

I'll be getting my fiance one of these quite soon. Just need to scoop up a 26er Fox fork. Should build up into a 17-18lb bike pretty easily.

Anyone want to trade a tapered Fox 100mm fork for a 100mm SID XX non-tapered?

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    The Geo of the Whippeti s also very close to the Yelli Screamy which is a great bike. If they had a Whippet in XL I'd build a 650b racer out of one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I577 using Tapatalk 2
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think this is remotely close to true. The Whippet is a quick-steering 26" wheeled XC race bike. With a longer fork, it becomes more stable, but it doesn't compare to the Yelli Screamy. Perhaps the numbers aren't that different, but a 70* HTA on a 29er is a very different beast than a 70* HTA on a 26" bike. I've owned a Whippet and I have a 29er that is steeper than the Yelli. The 29er is by far more "trail" oriented than the Whippet, and the Yelli even more so than my 29er. Comparing apples to airplanes here.

Uncle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Everybody worrying about .5lb weight in a MTB frame, seems insane to me, the extra half pound of carbon layup might mean years of life and much greater impact resistance which is carbon's weakness. Spend the money on light wheels and tires if you want something that actually effects performance.
    I vote for Fred.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    There's three or four THOUSAND posts about the carbon 29er frames in the 29er Bikes forum. Wheel size and slightly geometry differences aside, the same companies are more or less producing the same frames that have quite a few satisfied customers amongst the 29er crowd - myself included.

I'll be getting my fiance one of these quite soon. Just need to scoop up a 26er Fox fork. Should build up into a 17-18lb bike pretty easily.

Anyone want to trade a tapered Fox 100mm fork for a 100mm SID XX non-tapered?
    Cool, show the pics when it happens.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm looking at this closely and I'd like some input on my idea. I want a hardtail for longer rides but am a bit strapped for cash so I'm hoping to purchase one of these 650B frames and moving all my old hardtail stuff across except for the fork.
    I'm not a big fan of an xc geo bike so I'd like to get a longer fork (140mm too much??) to slacken it out and would put a short stem and wide bars on it for comfort.
    initially the wheelset would be 26 until I have enough cash for a 650B set.
    Is this madness? Doing some searching it appears teh longer fork shouldn;t concern me to much as I can run more sag if needs be.
    How will a 26 inch wheelset go on a 650B frame?

Cheers for advice in advance.

NedwannaB

Depends

Quote Originally Posted by crowash View Post
    I'm looking at this closely and I'd like some input on my idea. I want a hardtail for longer rides but am a bit strapped for cash so I'm hoping to purchase one of these 650B frames and moving all my old hardtail stuff across except for the fork.
    I'm not a big fan of an xc geo bike so I'd like to get a longer fork (140mm too much??) to slacken it out and would put a short stem and wide bars on it for comfort.
    initially the wheelset would be 26 until I have enough cash for a 650B set.
    Is this madness? Doing some searching it appears teh longer fork shouldn;t concern me to much as I can run more sag if needs be.
    How will a 26 inch wheelset go on a 650B frame?

Cheers for advice in advance.
    You talking the On One 456 or what. I believe they work 100-140 forks. As for 26" wheels on 650 specific frame would think you'd be experiencing more pedal strikes then you're used to.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

just some guy
    26 inches wheels on a 650b frame probably won't work that well. I assume, given the thread name, that you are referring to Chinese frames right? I think the Chinese frames are specced for 100mm travel forks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah the Chinese frames are the ones.. something like this: 3k Full Carbon Glossy 27.5ER 650B Mountain MTB Bike Frame Headset - 17" 19" 21" | eBay
    So if I add a longer fork I'll be slackening the HA and raising the BB a little?
    26 wheels would only be a short term solution, the issue will be more around do I get a 26inch fork on the cheap or go straight out for a 650B fork.... can;t beleive how quickly the options have made it to market.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Entrenador View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think this is remotely close to true. The Whippet is a quick-steering 26" wheeled XC race bike. With a longer fork, it becomes more stable, but it doesn't compare to the Yelli Screamy. Perhaps the numbers aren't that different, but a 70* HTA on a 29er is a very different beast than a 70* HTA on a 26" bike. I've owned a Whippet and I have a 29er that is steeper than the Yelli. The 29er is by far more "trail" oriented than the Whippet, and the Yelli even more so than my 29er. Comparing apples to airplanes here.

With an 80 mm fork both bikes have 70* head angle. 73* seat angle, ETT is only 7mm difference, chainstay is 1mm difference. Just sayin...
    No moss...

NedwannaB

Chinese frame +140=.....

Quote Originally Posted by crowash View Post
    Yeah the Chinese frames are the ones.. something like this: 3k Full Carbon Glossy 27.5ER 650B Mountain MTB Bike Frame Headset - 17" 19" 21" | eBay
    So if I add a longer fork I'll be slackening the HA and raising the BB a little?
    26 wheels would only be a short term solution, the issue will be more around do I get a 26inch fork on the cheap or go straight out for a 650B fork.... can;t beleive how quickly the options have made it to market.
    Fail! Could be wrong but going 40mm over geo on any frame design, regardless of maker would not be recommended. Possibly catastrophic. Let alone bike would be a little whacky with the combination of long travel fork and 26" wheels.
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast