mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Chinese Blanks / Dual Suspension => Rocky Mountain Element 70 MSL or Specialized Epic

Hi there

Anyone know which of the Chinese Cabon manufacturers make a Rocky Mountain Element 70 MSL and sell it as a blank,

Second option, might end being he first mind you: Specialized Epic 2010 or 2011 26er,
    Can't see a dual sus Epic in the 2012 range, correct me if I'm blind.

G
    Last edited by georgelza; 09-17-2012 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Interested.

Love the Rocky Mountain frames.

dwt
    mtbr member
    None of them.

Even if they did, I wouldn't buy one. I draw the line at counterfeiting. A generic frame is one thing. Theft is another thing altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    We all have our views,

So anyone willing to indicate which Chinese Carbon manufacturers sell blank frames of the Element 70 MSL, Thinking a potential second option is the Specialized Epic 2010 26r.

G

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No, nor would going to the manufacturer in china guarantee they'd sell you one. Odds are the molds and jigs are exclusive to RMB and the manufacturer wouldn't want to risk losing a multi-million dollar plus account to sell to a handful of frames to individual consumers too cheap to just order a frame from RMB.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Guys

I can not imagine that these carbon manufacturers design their own frames, they just make what was designed by someone else, they're called blanks for a reason, it's a known frame, of a big brand, sold by China under a no name, with no relationship to the branded frame.

There's Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers which sells blanks, by the 1, 10 100's etc. coming off the exact same production line, same hands as the other branded frames.

anyhow, never mind, a question which seems to have ruffles feathers.

G

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    There is no such thing as "blanks". There are generic frames that are made to look like "real" frames, but they aren't the same and do not come out of the same mold. Do you really think a company like Specialized would let their asian manufacturer make blanks? They sue everybody for everything. The designs are slightly different and the carbon layups are usually inferior. Some of these companies will paint and decal their frames to look "real".
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

dwt
    mtbr member
    How about a "Specialized" 650b frame?
    Those Chinese are so ahead of the curve they have a counterfeit of a bike that does not exist. If that is logically possible. Who will be the first on their block to own a "Specialized" 650b? Bound to be a conversation piece if nothing else.
    Anyway, LMFAO.

http://m.alibaba.com/product-gs/5857..._frame_27.html

Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Wait a second guys! They have smart looking anglo males wearing ties on their website... some are even shaking hands! ... and one's wearing a hard hat!
    They must be legit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    Wait a second guys! They have smart looking anglo males wearing ties on their website... some are even shaking hands! ... and one's wearing a hard hat!
    They must be legit.
    Yes! If I buy a blank, while wearing smart-looking cuff-links and a cumberbund, maybe they'd thow in a vasectomy as a combo deal?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The broken seat tube will sterilize you pretty quick, I'm sure.

I've never heard of anybody selling "blanks". There are plenty of cheap carbon knockoffs that look a lot like legitimate bikes. The carbon layup, quality control, and design are likely going to be different, however. These manufacturers don't ride bikes, and they don't care, they just know that if they copy frame X from manufacturer Y good enough, some gringo is going to pay 300 times the cost of producing it.

There are plenty of people with good experiences on those frames though, but almost all of them are 29er hardtails and road bikes. I'm not sure I want to buy an aggressive DH or 5" travel trail bike and be a guinea pig. If you want an Element, I suggest you buy one, otherwise you'll be getting a bike that may have misaligned pivots, ungreased bushings in place of bearings, and leverage ratios that *might* be good enough.

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    How about a "Specialized" 650b frame?
    Those Chinese are so ahead of the curve they have a counterfeit of a bike that does not exist. If that is logically possible. Who will be the first on their block to own a "Specialized" 650b? Bound to be a conversation piece if nothing else.
    Anyway, LMFAO.

Alibaba Manufacturer Directory - Suppliers, Manufacturers, Exporters & Importers

Hilariously cheesy marketing. I think that is a hongfu frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Dual Suspension Chinese Carbon frames are few and far between because they are complicated, and are still pretty expensive.

THE Chinese Carbon 29er dually I saw was nearly $1000 and that's before getting a shock for it. Since rear suspension designs are complex, this adds to the cost, and who knows how the well their suspension design works. You may spend the rest of your life trying to tune a shock to make it run well.

A good 29er dually frame is about $2k, the copy one would be heading to nearly $1.5k, so why bother. Hardtail and Road Frames are another story, they sell for $500 instead of $2k for a name brand.

The hardtail 29ers and road frames are easy to copy because they are simple, and their copies seem to be pretty good quality (I have an FM098 and LTK023, love em!)