mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Cheapest 650B 20mm Wheelset?

Can anyone tell me the cheapest place online to have a 650B 20mm wheelset built? I've seen decent prices for QR sets, but nothing under $500 with a 20mm through-axle.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I had mine built...

...at my local shop. I used a Marzocchi 20mm hub for $60. They are very smooth and sturdy, just not very light. My whole front 650b wheel cost me less than $250 and that included the tire from Rawland Cycles. I cannot run a 650b rear so my conversion was pretty cheap. Hope this helps.

www.derbyrims.com
    Universalcycles.com used to be inexpensive to build custom spec wheels. I haven't checked lately. You can pick your spec on line. They mix and match what they sell. Sometimes there are 15% discounts over $300 purchase. Call them for a quote, then ask for the discount, they may still give you the discount if not advertised currently.

Otherwise, your favorite local bike shop is usually much less costly than boutique wheel builders.

mtbr member
    DMR Revolver hub, EQ27 or Blunt rims, 14 DB spokes.
    You can probably shop around to get all for $150.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Many shops deal with QBP as a major wholesaler...and excellent company to deal with IMO. They have a "Wheel Shop" program where you can pick any hub, spoke, and rim combo in their lineup...and it is extensive...and have it built for a very reasonable cost. I picked a Dimension 20mm front hub, 14/15 DB DT spokes, brass nipples, and a Blunt rim. That Dimension hub is convertible from 9mm QR to 20mm and is the third time I've used that hub for a front wheel. They are strong and light and well priced. I might not lean toward their rear hub as I know nothing about it, but I'd buy and use their front hub any day. Surprisingly this front wheel turned out to be about 60g lighter than my front CrossMax XL 26" wheel.

We've had many custom builds through QBP's Wheel Shop come through our shop and haven't had any issues whatsoever. I've personally used 3 different wheels from their program and have nothing but good service from those wheels. Their price and quality is excellent, and the choice is great.