mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Cheap 650b wheelset 23.6 mm wide ext 19 mm internal ok for testing tire fit?

Started this separate thread in case others were thinking of doing the same, or maybe this could give them the idea. So anyhow, I was going to buy a couple tires to test fit on my bike and take my time over the winter exploring how I can modify my bikes seat stay.

Ultimately the wheels I want to end up with will have rims that have a 23 to 24 mm internal bead width such as the Pacenti TL-28 or American Classic All Mountain wheels. I am pretty sure that the xc riding I do works best with a rim of 26-28 mm wide externally. Narrow rims don't give me much benefit and I don't need 35 mm rims.

Instead of buying a full set of wheels now that would be good enough, strong and light enough that I will want to ride, for like $600 or more if built them, or even more if pre-built, I could pick up a very cheap set of 650B wheels for $65-$100 and use those over the winter for test fitting and working on mods. I am tight on cash at the moment, so I figure a real cheap set could do me for testing tire fit on my fork and mtb. Is there any reason that a rim with a 19 mm internal width would be so different from a rim with a 23-24 mm internal width that I would want to scrap the idea? We've discussed some of the differences in other threads, but I wonder if the specific idea I have here will work or are the rims different enough that the 19 mm internal width rim won't give me a close enough idea of tire fit vs the 23-34 mm rim.

My other option is I could buy a rim that I eventually want to build with high end hubs and instead, and lace them up to an older mtb hub I have around for the cost of 32 spokes, if I can find the right spokes.

The wheelset is:

650B MTB Wheel Set - Weinmann ZAC19, Shimano RM30, 32H, QR, Silver

and is $65 plus $40 shipping to Canada...and maybe I buy a tire or two.

Worth it for testing tire fit? If others in my area want to test fit on their bike, I could do the same. Otherwise, I could pick up a rim for $100 or less and lace it to an older sun race (lol) rear hub I have lying around. Cost of spokes, but it gives me practice building wheels, since I've only done it 3 or 4 times.
    Last edited by morkys; 12-01-2012 at 02:07 PM.

NedwannaB

Just commit Man!!

Quote Originally Posted by morkys View Post
    Started this separate thread in case others were thinking of doing the same, or maybe this could give them the idea. So anyhow, I was going to buy a couple tires to test fit on my bike and take my time over the winter exploring how I can modify my bikes seat stay.

Ultimately the wheels I want to end up with will have rims that have a 23 to 24 mm internal bead width such as the Pacenti TL-28 or American Classic All Mountain wheels. I am pretty sure that the xc riding I do works best with a rim of 26-28 mm wide externally. Narrow rims don't give me much benefit and I don't need 35 mm rims.

Instead of buying a full set of wheels now that would be good enough, strong and light enough that I will want to ride, for like $600 or more if built them, or even more if pre-built, I could pick up a very cheap set of 650B wheels for $65-$100 and use those over the winter for test fitting and working on mods. I am tight on cash at the moment, so I figure a real cheap set could do me for testing tire fit on my fork and mtb. Is there any reason that a rim with a 19 mm internal width would be so different from a rim with a 23-24 mm internal width that I would want to scrap the idea? We've discussed some of the differences in other threads, but I wonder if the specific idea I have here will work or are the rims different enough that the 19 mm internal width rim won't give me a close enough idea of tire fit vs the 23-34 mm rim.

My other option is I could buy a rim that I eventually want to build with high end hubs and instead, and lace them up to an older mtb hub I have around for the cost of 32 spokes, if I can find the right spokes.

The wheelset is:

650B MTB Wheel Set - Weinmann ZAC19, Shimano RM30, 32H, QR, Silver

and is $65 plus $40 shipping to Canada...and maybe I buy a tire or two.

Worth it for testing tire fit? If others in my area want to test fit on their bike, I could do the same. Otherwise, I could pick up a rim for $100 or less and lace it to an older sun race (lol) rear hub I have lying around. Cost of spokes, but it gives me practice building wheels, since I've only done it 3 or 4 times.
    Buy the cheap wheelset and Nevegals, a 2.1 and 2.35 for fr & rr (that way you can check the 2.35 will probly fit in back anyway), run them then decide based on their fit, and your apparent sluethyness here on the forum, to see what better rims/tires to upgrade to later. Keeping the original set for beater/backups.

But for crying out loud man.....GET on with it!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

Dissolved member
    ^^^ what JMac said. I did hundreds of miles on cheap narrow rims (but nice hubs) before upgrading to nicer wider ones after I had beaten the crap out of them. I plan to have the narrow rims laced to cheap hubs for "plan B" - HT for crap weather, easy rides with wife, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, I'm taking my time. I know, it does seem like I am sweating the details, but I'm not going to be riding much over winter up here and my cash flow situation is at an all time low. It will pick up a bit over winter though, so that is why I'm planning. I'm going to research again what the biggest 650B tires are that fit my Fox Fork before buying tires to test. It all depends on whether or not the type and size of tire that fits on the fork and then ultimately on the frame of my bike are even tires I want to run. I actually think there is a limit to the size of 650B tire that I'd want to run. I doubt I'll want anything over 2.3 just because I won't need as much tire as a 2.35, nor the weight, and I don't know if they'd fit my 09 32 RLC 100 mm Fox. Odds are a 2.2 to 2.3, probably a 2.25 is the sweet spot. I tried a 2.1 and it could work, and I'll see if a 2.35 NN even fits, for instance.

So my original question remains, would the 19 mm narrow internal width rim on the cheap 650B mtb wheelset give me a different impression of the size of tire size and fit vs a 23-24 mm internal width rim or will be close enough? Should I forgo a 19 mm rim and instead buy one or two TL-28 rims and lace that to older hubs I have for now? Or simply look for another cheap 650B mtb wheelset with 23-24 mm internal rim width? I figure since people run Stans crest which have a 21 mm internal rim width, the 19 mm cheap wheels I am looking at aren't way too small, but they aren't the same as what I'll want to end up with in the end.

Who knows, in the end I may not do anything to my 26" bike at all, and just save for a 650B KHS 3500 and/or 29'er FS. I will start the process and take pictures of anything I test. If I do the modification to the rear seat stay, I will take lot's of cool pictures of that too.
    Last edited by morkys; 12-02-2012 at 01:50 PM.

NedwannaB
    Can I get a he!! yeah!
    Wait,who did he tell you that?....

www.derbyrims.com
    Narrow rims are lighter. Wider rims make a wheel handle better and and roll easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Fair enough. I'm basically asking whether using rims with a 19 mm internal width will give me a close enough idea to the size of the tire compared to a 22-24 mm internal width rim. If I get a 19 mm internal width rim and try some tires, will they be much different on another rim with a 22-24 mm internal rim width. I know it can't be much, but I'm sure it has some impact.

Dissolved member
    I just built a P35 rim, see if this helps:

Nobby Nic 2.25 on a 19mm internal width rim: 697mm tall, 50mm wide
    Nobby Nic 2.25 on a 30mm internal width rim: 702mm tall, 54mm wide

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Interesting. Thanks. Seems weird that the wider rim would make the tire both taller and wider, however, I guess it depends on the profile of the rim, where the most narrow part of the rim is and how deep it is etc. Those are a couple of rims with a huge 11 mm difference in internal width! Interesting comparison.