mtbr member

Chameleon 69er or b9 anyone

I've seen a lot of chameleon frames for sale lately and in my quest to upgrade my ride from the Monocog 29er I thought maybe i'd check to see if anyone had run a chameleon with 29 front. If I did it i'd run a rigid Salsa CroMoto Grande fork. Can anyone with experience tell me if they think this frame would make a good candidate for the big front? I saw one on the Pic thread but no info how it rode. For anyone interested in how or what I ride you can check out this thread where I asked about 29er frames.

Budget upgrade from budget bike.
    There's always money in the banana stand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonNorCal
    I've seen a lot of chameleon frames for sale lately and in my quest to upgrade my ride from the Monocog 29er I thought maybe i'd check to see if anyone had run a chameleon with 29 front. If I did it i'd run a rigid Salsa CroMoto Grande fork. Can anyone with experience tell me if they think this frame would make a good candidate for the big front? I saw one on the Pic thread but no info how it rode. For anyone interested in how or what I ride you can check out this thread where I asked about 29er frames.

Budget upgrade from budget bike.
    I wouldn't do it because the headtube angle is 68 degrees. Lifting the front will probably result in really sloppy boat-like handling. Frames with a really steep headtube angle are usually better candidates for 69er's.

Harden th F**k up!

Seems to work ok to me! I switch between 26 and 29 front. haven't noticed any sloppiness with the 29"

Harden th F**k up!
    The chameleon frame is designed to take up to a 160mm fork so the geometry works ok according to Santa cruz and imo.

Harden th F**k up!
    just checked, the trek 69er which is one of the only mass production 69/96ers has 69 degrees head tube angle the Chameleon has 68 degrees what's 1 degree between friends!?
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes...ersinglespeed/ http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/bicy...chameleon.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stelmo
    just checked, the trek 69er which is one of the only mass production 69/96ers has 69 degrees head tube angle the Chameleon has 68 degrees what's 1 degree between friends!?
    http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes...ersinglespeed/ http://www.santacruzbikes.co.uk/bicy...chameleon.html
    Because the geometry you are looking at for the Chameleon is with a 26er wheel. By changing the front wheel for a 29er and the requisite extra lengthening of the fork required, you are adding about 2.5 inches to the front of the bike, which would put the Chameleon at more like 65deg. Not that that might not work for someone.

Harden th F**k up!
    1.5" longer than normal, the chameleon frame is essentially a hard core long travel frame so the 29er forks make it sit perfectly, equivalent to a 130-140 26er fork witch is just about right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Good job! I hope this helps

I looked up the geometry chart for a Chameleon Frame. It has a 68 degree head angle with a 515mm AC measurement. If you want to know how its going to do , measure your forks Axle to crown length, add to that the difference in radious between a 26 inch wheel and tire and a 29er wheel and tire, and that should give you a pretty darn close effective AC measurement.

So for example, I measured a Kenda Excatavor tire mounted, to have a bout a 26 inch diameter or so, My Nanoraptor has about a 29 inch diameter. Thats a 3 inch difference , convert to MM, and it is 76.2mm. Divide by 2, thats 38.1mm. Add that to the forks, axle to crown measurement, ( I am running a white brothers rock solid 425), 425+38.1 = 463.1mm . So my setup has an effective AC measurement of about 463mm , these are rough numbers I didnt use a caliper, I have a crappy tape measure too. Compare the number you come up with the geometry specs of the chameleon.

Lastly a 515mm AC measurement is big, Like a five inch travel fork. My Rock Shox Revelation has 130mm of travel and it's AC is 508mm.

I hope some of that made sense.

Paul

Harden th F**k up!
    Also compare the geometry's on the trek 69 medium and the Santa cruz Chameleon large,
    they are almost the same apart from the bb is 1" higher on the Santa cruz. Sorry for being so picky, I'm really just proving that I'm not kidding myself and the set-up dose work that's assuming trek have there set-up right, they get good reviews so I'm presuming it is.

Belgicano
    Jan 2009
    I run a Chameleon 69er SS with a Surly Karate Monkey fork up front and IMHO it works a treat...used to have that frame with a 32 Van / 26" up front and the 69er/Karate setup allowed me to keep the same head/seat tube angles and BB height, though obviously with a different rake and trail.

Feels just fine to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ChileBike
    I run a Chameleon 69er SS with a Surly Karate Monkey fork up front and IMHO it works a treat...used to have that frame with a 32 Van / 26" up front and the 69er/Karate setup allowed me to keep the same head/seat tube angles and BB height, though obviously with a different rake and trail.

Feels just fine to me.
    440ac 37mm offset 29er wheel on a frame specd for 26inch wheels and a 100mm suspension fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images