mtbr member

Castellano Fango

Does anybody here in 650b land own or have a friend who has tried 650b on a Castellano Fango or even the more classic Ibis Ripley?
    I think that this bike design may make an interesting XC Racer/Light trekking platform.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by umassracer View Post
    Does anybody here in 650b land own or have a friend who has tried 650b on a Castellano Fango or even the more classic Ibis Ripley?
    I think that this bike design may make an interesting XC Racer/Light trekking platform.
    From the pics I've seen I doubt there's enough clearance in back. But I agree that it's a great design for 650b!

My Curtlo: (there's a Siren custom softail someplace around here too)

mtbr member
    I have a Fango and there is no way a 650b will fit. I could only fit a 2.1 26" and it is real tight.

mtbr member

Fango

Darn! I honestly suspected as much especially after looking carefully a @ John's site (pathetically outdated).
    Since you own a Fango, may I ask if it was custom built for you or did you acquire it "second hand"?
    I'm really interested in the design, and so I'm going to contact John C. this week about the possibility of having a custom Fango 650b built (I don't think it should take too much re-tooling on his part, but ya never know unless you ask)
    Thank you for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Jetman46 View Post
    I have a Fango and there is no way a 650b will fit. I could only fit a 2.1 26" and it is real tight.

mtbr member

Curtlo ST

According to the dude who posted after you, you were correct and the Fango won't work (I have mail into J.Castellano about the possibility of building a custom 650b) Actually after I first saw your bike, several months back, I chatted w/Doug about building me soft-tail like yours. I'd love to talk to you briefly about your impressions of it if you would shoot me a PM
    Thanks
    J

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    From the pics I've seen I doubt there's enough clearance in back. But I agree that it's a great design for 650b!

My Curtlo: (there's a Siren custom softail someplace around here too)

Cumbria, England.
    SteveF - I now own the 650B Siren! I bought it off here the other week, just waiting to get some wheels for it before I take all the other parts of my hardtail to build it up. Can't wait!
    Last edited by D45yth; 03-19-2012 at 02:41 PM.
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    Darn! I honestly suspected as much especially after looking carefully a @ John's site (pathetically outdated).
    Since you own a Fango, may I ask if it was custom built for you or did you acquire it "second hand"?
    I'm really interested in the design, and so I'm going to contact John C. this week about the possibility of having a custom Fango 650b built (I don't think it should take too much re-tooling on his part, but ya never know unless you ask)
    Thank you for the reply
    I got it second hand so I am really not sure. I is definately a cool design.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    SteveF - I now own the 650B Siren! I bought it off here the other week, just waiting to get some wheels for it before I take all the other parts of my hardtail to build it up. Can't wait!
    Them Siren softails are real cool frames--I seriously considered one, but they're twice the money of the Curtlo and I'm a fan of steel frames. Don't forget to post pics and ride impressions of that thing!

mtbr member
    According to the dude who posted after you, you were correct and the Fango won't work (I have mail into J.Castellano about the possibility of building a custom 650b) Actually after I first saw your bike, several months back, I chatted w/Doug about building me soft-tail like yours. I'd love to talk to you briefly about your impressions of it if you would shoot me a PM
    Thanks
    J
    It's a fantastic bike--I've never owned one that handled as well. It is quick and precise. I can choose or correct a line with a shrug of a shoulder or tap on the brakes and the bike will do exactly what I want it to. If I pick a line it locks on but if I need to make an adjustment, the bike will switch easily without over correcting. I've had more than one ride partner comment when following me how well the bike seems to handle.

The bike is somewhat limited by a low BB, so pedal strikes and big ring hits on logs are more frequent than I'd like, but I suspect the low center of gravity is part of the reason the bike handles so beautifully so I don't worry about it. It's easy enough to compensate for.

Be aware that no matter what Doug might tell you, it'll take the better part of a year to get your frame. I knew this up front from doing some research, so I didn't worry but I know if I hadn't expected it from reading threads in the custom bike forum that I would've been pretty worried. I've since bought a 2nd (road) custom from another one man operation and it took a year, too, so I guess this is not unusual...

PM'd you, too, if you have other questions...

mtbr member
    I also have a Fango. I really wish it would fit, but I've never bothered, there is just not point in trying. I does make an excellent 656 ride though!
    And it is a very cool design. Unique enough that I have no intentions to get rid of it.

Got mine 2nd hand also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Do we think a 656er is a good idea on a Fango? Is it more suitable for this than your average hardtail for instance?
    Last edited by killerisation; 10-03-2012 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by killerisation View Post
    Do we think a 656er is a good idea on a Fango? Is it more suitable for this than your average hardtail for instance?
    Anything with rear suspension makes a pretty good B6er in my opinion. Most of the benefit of bigger wheels is in the front. With a hardtail that bigger wheel out back can smooth out the ride a bit, but on a FS, or in this case a softail, I think the smaller rear wheel is not going to be too noticeable.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    "656er,B6er". Seriously...? Man, who the freak is responsible for orchestrating these Special-ed-dale pr style monikers?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Surely 2650b'er is the most informative description?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

650b SilkTi

For what it is worth, I 650b'd my Ibis SilkTi which is basically the ti version of the Fango. Used a Pacenti 2.0 in the rear and it barely fits. There is about 2mm clearance at elastomer shock. Tried the same set up on my wife's Ripley and it was a no how, no way. I love the ride of the 650b SilkTi!

mtbr member
    I'm guessing the silk-ti has normal chainstays? Just tried sticking the 650 wheel on there for fun. With the 2.0 tire the skewer doesn't even fit into the drop outs. That beautiful but awkward flat, asymmetrical chain stay grabs the tire.

I plan to build this frame up real soon as a 26Bfronter

mtbr member
    Not to raise anyone's ire by necro'ing, but a 650b on the front of the Fango turns it into a really fun time, especially at speed.

I've been running one on my medium sized frame with a 100mm travel fork (R7 Plat.) and it's much better than I'd expected. The fact that a larger wheel won't fit in the rear is unfortunate. But don't let that stop you from adding a bigger wheel to the front.