Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon rims...

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by dworley505 View Post
    I ordered a set of these and go them in. Took them to my wheel builder and he said he wasn't comfortable building them. I guess I will try somewhere else to get them built. He couldnt find specs for spoke tension and stuff like that. I guess for now I'm SOL
    Doesn't sound like much of a wheelbuilder... You should be happy to go elsewhere. A simple email to the manufacturer is all it takes to find the recommended tension. You should find that out before going to another builder, just to be safe. I bet it's somewhere in the 110-130kgf range...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    Doesn't sound like much of a wheelbuilder... You should be happy to go elsewhere. A simple email to the manufacturer is all it takes to find the recommended tension. You should find that out before going to another builder, just to be safe. I bet it's somewhere in the 110-130kgf range...
    In the 26" thread, someone posted a tech note from "Brian" at LB where they said 80-130kgf, with 100-110 for "enthusiast riders", lower for commuters, higher for pros. Accurate? Same numbers for 650b? Dunno. FWIW.

Not dead yet, just playin
    I ordered a set of these and go them in. Took them to my wheel builder and he said he wasn't comfortable building them. I guess I will try somewhere else to get them built. He couldnt find specs for spoke tension and stuff like that. I guess for now I'm SOL
    He couldn't look at the website where you got the wheels?

Max Spoke Tension: 180kgf
    www.msmtb.org - Mississippi Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I will go back in tomorrow, talk to him a bit. i pulled it up in no time on the light-bicycle website. I will be happy to go elsewhere, but this guy is the talk of the town. He wasn't there when i went in. I will email Brian for exact specifications.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quick update: I contacted light-bicycle about the problem with the weird/messed up bead hook on 1 rim and they had me send them some pictures and mail the rim to an address in New York. Then a new rim was shipped to me about a week later. The second rim I received looked fine.
    I built up the wheelset with a bikehubstore.com front hub and a WTB super Duty rear hub and sapim CX-Ray spokes. The final weight without tape or valves were 690grams front and 806 grams rear. Not too bad. I used 1 layer of stans yellow tape and set up the rear wheel tubeless today using Neo-Moto tires.
    Getting the tire on the rim was somewhat difficult cuz it was so tight. Once I got the tire on setting up tubeless wasn't too bad with some soapy water and air compressor Once the bead pops onto the bead channel, even if the tire is deflated completely the bead stays on the bead channel so that's a good sign I think.
    Probably won't be riding these for a while though since I have a set of new tires on my 26 inch rims that I want to wear out first, haha

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Cracked sidewall while mounting tire.....

Compete disaster. Cracked the sidewall of the 650b wide AM rim using a plastic tire lever. Is there a recommended technique or tool for mounting tires on carbon rims?

------
    Yemi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon rims...-cracked.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yemi View Post
    Compete disaster. Cracked the sidewall of the 650b wide AM rim using a plastic tire lever. Is there a recommended technique or tool for mounting tires on carbon rims?

------
    Yemi
    Where these light- bicycle?
    Tire levers not recommended for Any carbon rim(enve, Easton). But still very alarming none the less.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yes. light-bicycle 650b AM rim. Nancy is being cool about it and will send me a free replacement but I have to cover the shipping costs.

------
    Yemi

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Where these light- bicycle?
    Tire levers not recommended for Any carbon rim(enve, Easton). But still very alarming none the less.
    What? .... Plastic levers are not a problem with Easton CF rims or any rim.

That is a manufacturing defect. Defects happen with any brand.

Too bad to pay shipping for a defect warranty when buying from a dealer in China. I guess that's also part of the risk for buying at one-fifth major brand name CF rim prices, even if the major brand rims are manufactured in China.

mtbr member
    The key is making sure that your tire bead stays in the depth of the rim channel, if you have to force tire bead over rim edges with levers you are doing it wrong. In most cases you should be able to mount tires by hand only.
    2012 SC NOMADc
    2011 SC Driver8 BikePark Sled
    2012 Surly Pugsly Fatty Trail/Dogrunner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    What? .... Plastic levers are not a problem with Easton CF rims or any rim.

That is a manufacturing defect. Defects happen with any brand.

Too bad to pay shipping for a defect warranty when buying from a dealer in China. I guess that's also part of the risk for buying at one-fifth major brand name CF rim prices, even if the major brand rims are manufactured in China.

This is directly from Enve owners manual page 7

NOTE: ENVE does not recommend the use of tire levers to install or remove your tires. However, we understand that there are moments when the use of a tire lever is necessary. When using a tire lever, only use PLASTIC levers, and be careful not to pinch your inner-tube during the install.
    Tech Note: If it is difficult to fully install the second side of the tire bead, check that the tube around the area of the valve stem is not pinched under the tire bead. If it is, push the valve stem in towards the tire about 1 cm and then in try mounting the bead again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I found that mounting Neos on my LB rims was a bit tough, too. Just be patient and work it by hand. One trick is to place your wheel on the open top of a large garbage can. That lets you push down on the tire's bead with your thumbs with extra leverage.

Remember CF generally is not strong normal (perpendicular) to its surface. It's the same reason you don't clamp a carbon seatpost. When you use a tire lever, you're concentrating a load in a place the rim isn't engineered to handle in that direction.

Thankfully, LB doesn't seem to be a fly-by-night operation. You might not have to warranty ENVE rims, but the good news is that you [can warranty LB rims.
    Last edited by lazarus2405; 12-10-2012 at 05:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    How do you remove a tire without using a tire lever? Unless the tire is cut off the rim I didn't think it was possible to remove a tire without using levers. Anyone has experience on removing tire without levers? please share the technique. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If you have to use lever(s) always start at the valve stem area (so you can drop the beads on the opposite side of the wheel into the well) and when mounting you end at the valve stem for the same reason. Push in the valve stem if using a tube so you don't pinch it when remounting.

Having trouble use LUBE of your choice or sealant to make it nice and slippery.

For removing you should be able to get under a bead and can try one of these Quick Sticks which don't require you to put much leverage (or any once you get the hang of it) on the rim edge.

2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

MattSavage
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    How do you remove a tire without using a tire lever? Unless the tire is cut off the rim I didn't think it was possible to remove a tire without using levers. Anyone has experience on removing tire without levers? please share the technique. Thanks
    It's easier if I show you in person... What's your location? Mail me a round trip plane ticket and $100 per diem and I guarantee you you'll never need a tire lever again.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I can tell you that it is physically impossible to remove several types of tires from Easton wheels without levers. Even with levers I have resorted to cutting tires off the rims with tin snips on two occasions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Would be nice to have a bit more standardization in the tire/rim industry, I hope its not moving towards proprietary combos.

I would give LB a try based on price and feedback.

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    OUGHT OOHHHHHHH!

Rim failure... 3 rides and 35 miles, pretty normal riding and this happened after I just put more air in to up it to 32 PSI.

I have written L-B to ask them how to go about the warranty process, so I'll report their response.

I have been riding Easton Haven carbon wheels for 7 months as hard or harder than any other wheels I had here in AZ and had ZERO problems with the carbon rims. These things don't seem to be very strong, and I got the beefed-up version at 402 gr.

Stay tuned...
    WEEEELLLLLLLLLLL, it happened again The original 394 gr rim that I had on the front did the exact same thing while riding over rocks at high speed. Guess we'll see if they replace this one also and beef up the beads like they did for the last replacement. The beefed up 418 gr rear replacement is holding up fine, but there is something about the way they make the bead and the inner part of the rim come together, that just isn't passing the AZ AM test. There is no side damage and this was with a Nevegal 2.35 at 30 PSI on the front.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon rims...-img_2507-copy.jpg  

Carbon rims...-img_2508-copy.jpg  

Carbon rims...-img_2511-copy.jpg  

Carbon rims...-img_2512-copy.jpg  

Carbon rims...-img_2513-copy.jpg  

Carbon rims...-img_2514-copy.jpg  

MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

Committed
    It looks like you got the sidewall of your tire as well. Thin tires, tubeless, low psi and sharp rocks don't seem to agree with the lb rims.
    Maybe time to step up to enve.

mtbr member
    LB Rims+Chunk+Speed=bad

Seem to work well in less demanding conditions or under less demanding riders.

mtbr member
    Duplicate
    Last edited by Salespunk; 12-22-2012 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    It looks not good as I am considering of buying one set of wide 650b rim from LB. Their wide 29er rims are very popular and have a good fame on this forums.

Their wide 650b rim really interested me. I've read several threads of 650b rims, says LB 650b rims have been for sale for about 2 months? results are mixed. Seem here is there main thread about the discussion?

I contacted them online, asked what had happened on their 650b rims, the failure bead, weak and cracked. Got message from Brian. He said weeks ago they've noticed this problem. For some 650b rims, the small round bar inside the rim structure did not make well, they have solved this problem about three weeks ago, after this improvement , the fracture phenomenon will be rarely happened. I dunno what is "small round bar" tech stuff. But it seems they are keeping improving this product. It's a good symbol anyhow.

Here's some pics of their newly made 650b rims sent by Brian, from the view of the rims appearance, it looks fantastic!! Seem they've also improved the look.

Still hesitant, should I be waiting for a longer time for their better rims? Or other advice anyone can give?

Sorry for my poor english!!

Attachment 747047

Attachment 747048

Attachment 747049

Attachment 747050

bike rider
    Nancy says she's made a few 650b rims without holes in the rim bed. Did anyone here get one? There doesn't seem to be enough room inside to maneuver a 12mm nipple into the hole so I'm wondering how the wheel was built. No luck so far in tracking down these wheelbuilders.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    While getting mine built and brought up to tension the nipple started to pull through. I will have to get in contact with Brian and Nancy to get this issue addressed. At this point i'm not to happy, but willing to let them make it right for the price that I paid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    While getting mine built and brought up to tension the nipple started to pull through. I will have to get in contact with Brian and Nancy to get this issue addressed. At this point i'm not to happy, but willing to let them make it right for the price that I paid.
    Are your rims the new style like in post #122? What tension did you have the failure at?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast