Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    Sock Monkey
    Guest

    Carbine 275 vs. Tracer 275

    I test rode a Carbine 275 today with a 160mm fork. Great bike. I am just not sure I want to incur the costs of a carbon frame. How does the Tracer 275 stack up to it. I note the geometry is a bit different (longer wheelbase, .5 degree steeper head angle) so I am just curious. I am sure it is a great bike, but want to know if anyone has ridden both and the differences....thanks in advance for any replies.

    Yes 650b/27.5 rocks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    If I was going to drop a bunch of money on a 27.5 bike, I would limit my choices to frames that were designed around the larger wheels and had geometry to match this. Give it a year and there will be a ton of bikes to choose from.

  3. #3
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by daves4mtb View Post
    Tahnk you for answering but your response doesn't really make any sense, given that the Tracer was desgined for 27.5 and a lot of bikes have been made into really great conversions.
    Yeah, sounds like smellyfingers tries to save you from a misery of spending for a bike you might like, is not an advice like that precious! Perhaps someone in the Intense forum might help you, I do not remember seeing many Tracers here.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    My comments were more about the Carbine, and I should have been more specific. The Tracer 275 is designed as a 650, while the Carbine is made to accept 650b. Big difference in my book. Didn't mean to get you guys so upset. The Tracer has more XC/Trail type geometry than the Carbine, but with the stability the 27.5 wheels offer, it should suit the bike well at high speed.

    My point is, when a bike is designed around or for a specific wheel size, that is a huge difference than just redesigning rear drop outs so the wheel wont rub. I've been fortunate enough to ride both prototype and warmed over models from two manufacturers and the difference in performance is huge when the bike is purpose built for 27.5. When I asked both why they were waiting on releasing a 27.5 they allowed me to ride the bikes and see the difference.

    There's about to be many options available. I was merely suggesting that if you could wait, you could take advantage of this. I know I've never dropped several thousands on a bike without comparing at least a couple models. Plus, from what I saw, there are going to be some great all mountain rigs coming out in the next 6 months or so.

  5. #5
    74 & 29 pilot
    Reputation: MTB Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    2,010
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    ... I've been fortunate enough to ride both prototype and warmed over models from two manufacturers and the difference in performance is huge when the bike is purpose built for 27.5. When I asked both why they were waiting on releasing a 27.5 they allowed me to ride the bikes and see the difference.
    ...
    Okay, so were those prototypes the Carbine or Tracer? The OP asked SPECIFICALLY about those 2 and you come on here spouting off about your crazy, great prototype experience that does NOT answer the OP's question.

    There are SO MANY people that come on these threads to give their OPINIONS about products that have ZERO FACTS to back the $h!t that they spew out of their mouths!

    Why wait, there are already plenty of great AM 27.5 bikes out The Carbine is a great 26" bike and an even better 27.5 bike, the bike couldn't be any better if it was originally designed around the 650b wheel. The Tracer 27.5's geo was changed for the 650b wheels. SORRY, never ridden it, so I can't tell you what I think. The Intense forum probably has better info for you, and I would suggest a demo before buying.

    There are other new bikes that are going to have drop outs to accept 26-27.5" wheels, because companies have found that it is possible to have a GREAT frame that accepts both sizes. It's the ultimate in flexibility and great for resale, as you can sell it to groups looking for two different wheel sizes; Larger market.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    It seems 27.5 people are even angrier than the 29er guys were.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,332
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    It seems 27.5 people are even angrier than the 29er guys were.
    If you don't understand the critical importance of a bicycle wheel, you should evaluate your life priorities mister!
    whatever...

  8. #8
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    It seems 27.5 people are even angrier than the 29er guys were.
    No greater insult can be given - except of course the time I was accused of being the DC of 650b. Ouch! That HURT.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by dwt; 11-26-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  9. #9
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,820
    OP: Recent review of 23.2 lb. XC/trail build of Carbine

    Intense Carbine SL frame | BikeRadar



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  10. #10
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    It seems 27.5 people are even angrier than the 29er guys were.
    <melodrama on>
    This used to be nice and quiet place. The 650b hobbyists were supporting each other for years before 650b came into spotlight, sharing their success of converting their bikes and helping each other track down 650b parts that we often impossible to get at times. I do not doubt over 90% of locals still ride a 26" conversion. Some of us like the short stays and slightly elevated BB of 26 frames. Most of us really like how our 650b conversions handle and many rode more than one converted bike. Then comes smellyourfingers to indirectly tell us we all have been doing it wrong for years.
    <melodrama off>

    Now that 650b is getting popular, the 26" and 29" conservatives feel the urge to come here and engage in neverending debates of benefits of one size against other and market segment of this compared to that without actually riding one. They start preaching their opinions as facts, thrashing pretty much everything this forum has been about until a couple of months back. Trolls like DC then feast on such useless blabbering. You really expect us to show you unconditional love and support?

    Can you tell us more about those two manufacturers? We have seen tons of dirt being thrown on 650b by marketing departments of bike companies that are or will be late to the market. Sure they would tell you to wait for their products, I would do the same thing!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite View Post
    If you don't understand the critical importance of a bicycle wheel, you should evaluate your life priorities mister!
    LOL. I don't have a dog in this fight.... but that was funny.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    No greater insult can be given - except of course the time I was accused of being the DC of 650b. Ouch! That HURT.
    Ok. I gotta say, that was funny too.

    To the OP I'm interested in this same question. I'm really surprised there aren't some folks out there who've ridden them both. They had them both at I-bike but we only got to the Carbine 275. Great bike BTW. Even if it's a "conversion" it didn't feel like anything but a purpose built bike. In fact, I'd say it was a huge improvement over its 26" progenitor.

    Is the Tracer frame that much less than the Carbine. Intense alluminum is pretty pricey too.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    234

    Carbine 27.5

    I have been on a 26" Carbine since April and I converted to 27.5 in late September. Im not sure what could be better about the 27.5 Carbine. Yes, Intense made new dropouts to accept a 27.5 wheel but the dropouts also were designed to change the HA and BB height to make the Carbine a better 27.5 bike. If you read all of the 27.5 Carbine reviews you would have a tough time finding a negative one. The bike simply ROCKS! The Tracer 27.5 is also a great bike ( I havent rode one yet). I think you will find that the Tracer 27.5 is a little more on the all- mountain side of things than the Carbine. Id put the Carbine a little more in the Trail category than the Tracer. Maybe because it is very light.

    If you want a Carbine, dont let the theory that it wasn't originally made as a 27.5 keep you from pulling the trigger. you wont be disappointed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbine 275 vs. Tracer 275-carbine1.jpg  


  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    <melodrama on>
    This used to be nice and quiet place. The 650b hobbyists were supporting each other for years before 650b came into spotlight, sharing their success of converting their bikes and helping each other track down 650b parts that we often impossible to get at times. I do not doubt over 90% of locals still ride a 26" conversion. Some of us like the short stays and slightly elevated BB of 26 frames. Most of us really like how our 650b conversions handle and many rode more than one converted bike. Then comes smellyourfingers to indirectly tell us we all have been doing it wrong for years.
    <melodrama off>

    Now that 650b is getting popular, the 26" and 29" conservatives feel the urge to come here and engage in neverending debates of benefits of one size against other and market segment of this compared to that without actually riding one. They start preaching their opinions as facts, thrashing pretty much everything this forum has been about until a couple of months back. Trolls like DC then feast on such useless blabbering. You really expect us to show you unconditional love and support?

    Can you tell us more about those two manufacturers? We have seen tons of dirt being thrown on 650b by marketing departments of bike companies that are or will be late to the market. Sure they would tell you to wait for their products, I would do the same thing!
    I think you read way to much into my post. Maybe a Zanax would help. You seem to be taking this way too personally.

    I'm not tuned in enough to know if or which manufacturers were bad mouthing 27.5, or how they could have gotten your panties so twisted, but I was lucky enough to be in China a week before the KS event and was able to hook up with some old friends who are in the bike industry in Europe. While I don't think it's my place to divulge what other companies are doing, your exclusive party is getting crashed in a big way both European and Domestic USA. I have a feeling this is going to cause you a major meltdown. Now kindly blow me.

  15. #15
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    Now kindly blow me.
    Thank you for being a good sport! Pos rep going your way.

  16. #16
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    While I don't think it's my place to divulge what other companies are doing, your exclusive party is getting crashed in a big way both European and Domestic USA. I have a feeling this is going to cause you a major meltdown.
    Not me. I can't wait. The 27.5 size needs way more purpose built models to choose from(such as more light build 5" trail bikes, like Bike Rumor Carbine linked above, and how about a 22 lb Scott Spark 4" XC bike? IOW not ONLY hard riding 6" AM bikes over 30 lbs, and a few steel and alloy HT's).

    Maybe, just maybe, a wider selection might drive the prices down. If the
    Big Dogs like Trek and Spesh and also Santa Cruz jump in soon, it will be picnic for 27.5" consumers (but a blow to smaller early adopter companies).

    My dream bike is a 25 lb or less 5" trail bike like that Carbine, SRAM 1x11 drivetrain, but with a sub $5k price tag. More alloy, less carbon. I can dream.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  17. #17
    orthonormal
    Reputation: andy f's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    Not me. I can't wait. The 27.5 size needs way more purpose built models to choose from(such as more light build 5" trail bikes, like Bike Rumor Carbine linked above, and how about a 22 lb Scott Spark 4" XC bike? IOW not ONLY hard riding 6" AM bikes over 30 lbs, and a few steel and alloy HT's).

    Maybe, just maybe, a wider selection might drive the prices down. If the
    Big Dogs like Trek and Spesh and also Santa Cruz jump in soon, it will be picnic for 27.5" consumers (but a blow to smaller early adopter companies).

    My dream bike is a 25 lb or less 5" trail bike like that Carbine, SRAM 1x11 drivetrain, but with a sub $5k price tag. More alloy, less carbon. I can dream.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Carbine SL in the linked article has 26" wheels. No replaceable dropouts on that model. I test rode one about a month ago, extremely nice bike for someone looking for something more XC-oriented than the regular Carbine. It was one of those rare bikes that felt like I had been riding it for years with the first turn of the cranks.

    I didn't bother to see if there was room for a larger wheel in back since I was mostly trying it out for sizing as I was interested in the regular Carbine with 650B dropouts.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Ok. I gotta say, that was funny too.

    To the OP I'm interested in this same question. I'm really surprised there aren't some folks out there who've ridden them both. They had them both at I-bike but we only got to the Carbine 275. Great bike BTW. Even if it's a "conversion" it didn't feel like anything but a purpose built bike. In fact, I'd say it was a huge improvement over its 26" progenitor.

    Is the Tracer frame that much less than the Carbine. Intense alluminum is pretty pricey too.
    Ok, I'll give it a shot. I rode both at a demo in San Jose a few weeks ago. Also rode the new 29" Spider Comp. I also wanted to ride the 26" Carbine to have something to compare it to but after taking it out for 5 minutes, I had to bring it back due to a mechanical issue with one of the cranks that couldnt be fixed. I wasnt too blown away by the 29er but I sort of expected it due to it being a little more "cross country" than I was looking for. The Tracer 275 was very plush and fun but I could really feel the extra weight on the climbs. The Carbine 27.5 seemed to be what I was hoping for. Climbed really well, decends great and I was very surprised at how agile it was. I'm pretty sure this is the bike I'll end up getting sometime this winter.

  19. #19
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    The Carbine SL in the linked article has 26" wheels. No replaceable dropouts on that model.
    Whoops.

    Thanks for not flaming my poor reading comprehension skills.

    Dang, I so wanted to believe in 27.5" light trail bike.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  20. #20
    Dissolved member
    Reputation: StiHacka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,505
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaM View Post
    The Tracer 275 was very plush and fun but I could really feel the extra weight on the climbs. The Carbine 27.5 seemed to be what I was hoping for. Climbed really well, decends great and I was very surprised at how agile it was. I'm pretty sure this is the bike I'll end up getting sometime this winter.
    Good info, thanks. Everyone seems to like the Carbine a lot. Were those two bikes built with the same components and wheels?

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    309
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post

    Maybe, just maybe, a wider selection might drive the prices down. If the
    Big Dogs like Trek and Spesh and also Santa Cruz jump in soon, it will be picnic for 27.5" consumers (but a blow to smaller early adopter companies).

    Yep



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One of those three is in with a 5 inch bike.

  22. #22
    Oji
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    128

    Good job! This

    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    My dream bike is a 25 lb or less 5" trail bike like that Carbine, SRAM 1x11 drivetrain, but with a sub $5k price tag. More alloy, less carbon. I can dream.
    +1

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Good info, thanks. Everyone seems to like the Carbine a lot. Were those two bikes built with the same components and wheels?
    I think so. Both XT builds, Fox 34, Novatech wheels.
    I've just started acquiring some XTR parts to put mine together. Couldnt resist the Black Friday deals. I know it's usually cheaper in the end to just buy a complete bike but it would be too hard to hide that much out of pocket cost from the wife around the holidays.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by smellurfingers View Post
    One of those three is in with a 5 inch bike.
    They all will at some point but Trek just redesigned the Fuel EX to 130mm for 2013, Santa Cruz has been a very outspoken opponent of 650B (despite so many of their bikes being converted) and a little birdie told me a Spec. 650B Enduro is in the works for a mid season release. That would be a sweet bike IMO even if I'm not a Spec. fan boy.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  25. #25
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3,820
    Spesh and Santa Cruz. Hmmm...

    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354022989.645056.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  30.1 KB




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •